Most Popular Post

Wednesday 25 May 2016

Gray to Glorious

Last Tuesday it was cold and overcast, a gray day requiring a hat and mitts for the girls. We packed a snack, lunch as Newfoundlanders call it and headed out to the park with the girls for the first time this year. Any time we provide day care for the girls and weather permits, we like to take them to the park to have some exercise.

 

The park has been cleaned up since my last visit earlier this spring. Our city does a great job maintaining the parks but there still weren't any leaves on the trees.

 

It was past the middle of May and not a leaf was in sight, not even the hint of green. Leaves were but a promise.

 
                                                          This is not a black and white photo.

Last year, they appeared during the first week of June. Such may be the case again this year. The only colour on this day came from the slide equipment and the girls, their coats and enthusiasm. We had a great visit.

 

Update:  a week later and the leaves have started to appear, a few days early this year.

 

The green of new growth makes this one of my favourite times of year.  

 

The promise, long awaited, is fulfilled. 

 

20 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Gotta love it when the green comes. I like the early days when it's light and feathery.

DJan said...

Yes! I love the new leaves, too. But gosh it seems rather late. I suspect they leave early, too. You have a very short summer up there. I just looked up your latitude, and it's 53! We are at 47, so you are much closer to the North Pole than we are. Explains a lot. :-)

Tomoko said...

Glad you have the new green. Such beautiful woods in the soft light!

ann @ studiohyde said...

What a difference a few days make. I like this time of year too, when the new leaves come out and everything looks so clean and fresh :-)

ADRIAN said...

Good to see their appearance. It will soon be summer.

Joanne Noragon said...

Your green comes on hard and fast!

Marie Smith said...

Me too. Love the new green!

Marie Smith said...

It really does explain a lot.

Marie Smith said...

I love driving down that street through the seasons. It always looks different.

Marie Smith said...

When they start to appear, they are quick about it.

Marie Smith said...

Thank goodness. I get antsy when I see other bloggers enjoying the spring growth.

Marie Smith said...

It really does, Joanne!

Down by the sea said...

It is lovely to see the transformation we are only a few weeks ahead of you! Sarah x

Marie Smith said...

It is wonderful to see the leaves finally, Sarah. The world seems better somehow.

Ginnie said...

The girls outfits really made it colorful. I love this time of the year too.

Marie Smith said...

It is wonderful, Ginnie. As if we are starting over again.

Ginnie Hart said...

YAY for spring, even if L A T E. The thing is, it always comes. I love that we can see the before and the after in the same post. And the color the girls added is just perfect for it all.

Anonymous said...

I envy the clear skies. Our spring was quite wet. We've jumped into summer this week. I put my winter clothes away and hauled out the summer items this morning. Now, I'll be wishing it was winter again. ��

Marie Smith said...

I love the before and after pictures too.

The greenery is well underway now. So beautiful!

Marie Smith said...

I hope you get some blue skies but not too hot. We usually don't get it too hot for very long, unlike the U.S.