Most Popular Post

Tuesday 8 July 2014

Powerful Part 2

I wrote in May that my niece, Samantha Pretty, was competing in South Africa as part of the Canadian Powerlifting Team. She came fourth in her weight class but the Canadian Junior teamed of which she was a part, got the third place medal. This was the best showing in a powerlifting team event that Canada ever had. Samantha did some personal bests during the competition. A person can't do much better than that in competition!

        Junior Team's Third Place Medal

The day that Samantha competed in South Africa, Rick and I were on a bus tour in Morocco. We were on a long drive through the countryside, on the way to Fez. We stopped for lunch in a hotel in the countryside, in an isolated area. We had the information about the website where we could watch the powerlifting tournament live and we were lucky enough to get wifi in the lobby of this remote hotel. Rick and I watched Samantha do the last two lifts. It was womderful to see her!

These are Samantha's results.

The three areas of the competition are Squat, Bench Press & Deadlift. 

Squat Attempt 1:  132.5 kg
Squat Attempt 2:  140.0 kg
Squat Attempt 3:  147.5 kg

                         Squat

Note:  it takes three men to act as spotters for a young woman lifting three hundred twenty-five pounds.

Bench Press Attempt 1:  80.0 kg
Bench Press Attempt 2:  87.5 kg (missed)
Bench Press Attempt 3:  87.5 kg (missed)

Deadlift Attempt 1:  147.5 kg
Deadlift Attempt 2:  155.0 kg
Deadlift Attempt 3:  165.0 kg


                       Dead lift

This is what Samantha wrote about her experience.

It was the most amazing trip. I learned so much and met so many new people. Overall I did come 4th but it was all a learning experience! I competed against some of the best in the world and I am so happy with what I accomplished :) Kevin Farrell was my coach and he has done so much for me in the last year. Words cannot express how thankful I am towards him & to have him there with me! Also Team Heavyweights did so much to help get me there and I am forever grateful for that :) 

        NL members of the Canadian Team
L. Janessa Ward, Samantha Pretty, Kevin Farrell,
               Bob King, Kristin Elliott

The whole trip was amazing! If I had to choose the worst part it would just be landing in South Africa expecting to see lions and giraffes soon as I landed, something like the movie the lion king! Little disappointed haha! The best part of the trip was everything! We had a stopover in London for a full day, my second time there! Lots of shopping & sightseeing again! :) When in South Africa one of the best parts would have to be lifting day; it was so amazing to see so many lifters from different countries! They were the best in the world! 

Honestly it was a once in a lifetime experience and I am so happy that I got to go somewhere most people will never get in their lifetime! :)  After being in South Africa, and seeing the houses and how people live, it definitely makes me appreciate what I have so much more!  Samantha 

                                                       ---------------------------------    

Note:  Kevin Farrell is Samantha's cousin on her mother's side of the family.

That's our girl!






No comments: