Most Popular Post

Friday 17 October 2014

Teaching with Whatever Works

Initially the tools we used were dirty and some were hard to use, Gestetner machines, which we called mud slingers, spirit duplicators, chalk and blackboards. However these tools were far ahead of those our teachers used. Over time we used other things, like overhead projectors and photocopiers. By the time we finished teaching, data projectors and computers were in common use. Blackboards were long gone, replaced by white boards and markers. Twentieth century technology gave way to the teaching tools of the twenty-first century.

More than a decade into this century, I am teaching a course on Writing and Blogging in Seniors College. Working with my contemporaries is great. Their wealth of knowledge and life experiences mean that they can relate to every topic. Seniors bring so much to the classroom that discussion is lengthy, detailed, stimulating and interesting. Providing some direction is my main role.

Meanwhile, I head off to class with my bristle board posters ready for my first day. I may be teaching about blogging, a twenty-first century topic, but I have not left the methods of my past.

"Whatever works," I say.

No comments: