The light house is the oldest in the province, built in 1845.
It is one of a few round brick lighthouses in the country. It sits on the southeast entrance of Hillsborough Bay directing ships safely to Charlottetown Harbour, Prince Edward Island.
Storyboard map: Point Prim, white pin, bottom R of center. Entrance to Charlottetown Harbour, top L of center
The tower is made of bricks of island sandstone, but two years after it was built, workers covered the brick because of its deterioration.
Storyboard photo: shingles over brick
While the light house keeper could stay in the structure, a keeper's cottage was nearby for his family. Today, the light is automated and the lighthouse is a museum, with artifacts from its earliest days as a manned structure.
The tower has four levels with steep ladder-like stairs.
The second floor houses information and various lights which lit the way for vessels for more than sixteen decades.
The third level has the living quarters of the light keeper while he tended the light.
At the highest level is the current light,
the fog horn
plus a great view of the Northumberland Strait and Hillsborough Bay.
Far in the distance, Nova Scotia is a faint line on the horizon.
Of the lighthouses we've visited on the island, this one is exceptional because it is open to the public and provides much historic information about island lighthouses in general and this one in particular. It was worth the visit!