Most Popular Post

Friday 8 October 2021

Autumn on the trail

It’s a scene from a dystopian novel, a farmer’s field with a hedgerow where a gap with an invisible portal takes all who enter to another dimension. Of course, getting back to the present is the problem. My mind worked overtime as we rode the Confederation Trail recently from Emerald to Borden Carleton and back. The gap in a hedgerow in this area is large and it inspires me. I always stop near the “portal” for a few minutes and mentally write another chapter of the next great dystopian novel.





This section of trail is a favourite of my husband and I. Ponds near Kinkora have ducks again though the sunlight on this beautiful autumn day doesn’t allow for great photos. Ducks all but disappear when they moult but look to be in fine form again as far as we can see.





Autumn on the island means the apple trees are bearing fruit again. The trail has lots of apple trees but most of the apples are small. Such is not the case with these huge ones and it looks like those which were reachable have been picked.





Near Emerald, Sumacs are putting on their best autumn show. Some leaves are already flaming red and the berries are plentiful.





I haven’t heard of people picking the berries here but it is said they have a lemony taste without the tartness.





This past summer, the province opened sections of the trail to horseback riders. One such area is north of Kinkora where the trail has new signage. 





We passed several farms but nobody was out riding on the trail that day.


However that day, we discovered one way a horse scratches its back. We stopped to watch this horse and miniature pony 





when the mare lay down on the grass and rubbed her back around on the ground. We had never seen this before.





Not far from the horses, a view over the cornfield across to the hay bales was a pretty scene. The bales in autumn provide one of my favourite sights.





The Newfoundlander in me was shocked to see this Dogberry Tree, without leaves, loaded with berries, a mass of orange. You know what that means for winter this year!






27 comments:

DJan said...

I was admiring your apple trees when you commented on my post from yesterday. Yes, I'm sore, but it's not as bad as I feared. I'll be fine. Eventually. :-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Clearly, horses rule (according to that signage!)

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Ahhhhh, the *pregnant gap*!!!!! -smile-

Love the horses rolling on their backs!!!

Oh my, a bad winter, I take it...

Pam said...

Patiently waiting for the color here. We have had a lot of rain, hoping that is going to help with our colors. I did notice that my tree to the side of the house has lost a lot of leaves so far but no color....hoping that the rain has just helped beat them out. I need to start walking and taking my camera with me like you and so many do. Beautiful.

Linda said...

At first I thought those were pomegranate trees but no. I don't know apple trees well as they were not all that suitable for Southern California but the pomegranates came in late october and early November. Love them.
Great fall pictures Marie.

photowannabe said...

Does that mean a difficult winter?
Love the back scratching horse too.
Hay bales like that just ask to be photographed. I love them.
The great novel...can't wait to read your new chapter..(:0)
Sue

Elephant's Child said...

I adore walking with you. Thank you so much.

The Padre said...

You Made My Weekend - Like The Mare , I'll Be On My Back Kicking My Legs & Arms Around Like I Just Don't Care

Cheers

Debbie said...

beautiful scenes...too bad there were no apples in reach for picking. it would have been nice to bring a few home!!

the horse scratching it's back is quite the capture. something you don't see every day!!

Mage said...

Perhaps a really harsh winter?

Bill said...

Great capture of the horse scratching his back.

Rose said...

That looks like a portal to better days! I love that shot over the corn with the haybales...just a wonderful shot. I wonder what kind of apples those were.

Joanne Noragon said...

The last I knew, we are predicted a mild winter, here on the south shore of Lake Erie.

Red said...

You just have to keep wondering the trails and you find many interesting things. You also have to keep your eyes open.

Ruth Hiebert said...

These are interesting sights.

Lorrie said...

What a fun idea to imagine a story when you pass the portal to another world. Great photo. It would be a good writing prompt for an English class!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Beautiful views, I like the portal photo, the apples and berries.
My favorites are the horses, the one scratching it's back is cute.
I hope we have a mild winter here. Take care, have a happy weekend!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I might try scratching my back like that, but I might never get up again!

Anvilcloud said...

Colour is peaking here. You have that to look forward to.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Great photo of the back scratching horse! In the sunlight, he resembles pure joy. The apple tree as well is a fun picture, picked clean by reach. lol

Marie Smith said...

Sue and Mage,

According to Newfoundland weather lore, a large crop of dogberries means a harsh winter.

Marie

peppylady (Dora) said...

I can see fall season is also at your door.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Those apples look straight out of the garden of Eden. I’ll bet they are sweet, juicy, and delicious. Now I’m thinking about apples… And apple butter… And apple walnut cake. See what you started? LOL! I have made lemonade out of sumac, and it has a unique taste.

Catarina said...

You always show us something new. Thank you.

Tabor said...

Our sumacs are also changing colors and that horse is doing what I would like to do.

Helen said...

I love that gap in the hedgerow, the apple tree, the field of maize and hay bales, the ....... let's face it, I love PEI and your blog! I hope it isn't going to be a harsh winter.

baili said...

living in such heavenly place can surly inspire inhabitants to be more creative so true dear Marie :)
at my heart i believe that it is impossible for you to not write page for novel after passing through such glorious scenes :)

each view demands contemplation and is meditative indeed !!!!!!!!!!
health ,peace and happiness to you and family!