Most Popular Post

Sunday 6 August 2023

Island idyll

Love of the eastern Canadian islands, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island, where I have lived my life fills my spirit. The elements, the weather and the tides, feature strongly in that life. So too do the elements of land and sea, waves, beaches and cliffs. I am drawn to the sea, from a land rich in minerals and forests as in Newfoundland, and fields of rich red soil as in Prince Edward Island.





There is a freedom on these islands which we sometimes take for granted. I wouldn’t hesitate to take a walk alone at any time, or speak to a stranger. There is a sense that “strangers” are people like ourselves, friends we haven’t met yet.


It is peaceful here too, people commonly talk about the weather as the biggest news of the day.  While social issues including drugs are an issue as they are in many places today, many of us go about our lives unaffected by them. We enjoy nature, physical activity and each other. 


Many people on these islands don’t have family nearby, as young people, for generations, had to leave their island homes to acquire employment. Those of us fortunate enough to have family here, especially grandchildren, are fortunate beyond measure.


As we walk the trails and beaches these days, I leave modern devices, except the camera, behind. I appreciate what is here and keep a visual record of it. The sounds of a river or stream, the birds, the waves breaking on the shore all give me great joy. The vistas before me revive me in spite of the news of a modern world, out there, beyond these islands. 


When the modern world does intrude, as it did with the pandemic,  we hunkered down and looked after ourselves and each other as best we could. As a result, we fared well compared to other areas. 


Our population is increasing now, as immigration has opened our borders to people from around the world. In addition, people are moving to the island from across the country as workers are needed in every industry. We welcome everyone who comes to live here, like our ancestors from around the world came centuries ago. And like us, moving from one province to another, we hope everyone enjoys life on this gentle island as much as we do.


Island life is for me!


Give me an island in the blue sea.

The wind and the waves, let them carry me,

Where the rhythm of life mirrors the tide.

There I will settle, just let me bide…



Give me an island in the blue sea 

Where beaches and cliffs punctuate scenery.

With sand by the plenty and driftwood galore

I’ll put down my roots and enjoy what’s in store.



Give me an island in the blue sea

Where the voices of gulls soaring high speak to me.

Where eagles keep watch over water and sky 

And fly above all as they soar going by.



Give me an island in the blue sea 

With Marram on dunes and the wind blowing free.

The trails and the beaches, they speak to me

And life is as simple as living can be.


Amen


37 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I will pack up and move there right now! Can I stay at your house?

Anvilcloud said...

Having been Down East, albeit briefly, I enjoy reading of your sentiments.

Danielle L Zecher said...

I've never been to your area, but it's definitely on the list of places I want to go. And it still amazes me how low your COVID numbers were compared to ours. There's definitely something to be said for people looking out for one another.

Boud said...

You might want to look out -- this idyllic description might trigger a big population increase!

photowannabe said...

So lovely!!
The simple life sounds so good to me, and the smell of sea and nature.
Your poem is beautiful too.
Enjoy your walks to revive your soul.
Sue

Hena Tayeb said...

You paint a lovely picture. Would love to visit someday.

Black Knight said...

About 40 years ago I spent more than one year, without my family, at the naval base of La Maddalena, an island in Sardinia.
There I also felt the same sensations that you have well described in this post. The islands are really special places to relax ourselves.

Elephant's Child said...

What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful home.

Bill said...

Beautifully written!

Maebeme said...

Lovely post! I spent only a few days on Prince Edward Island, as most of our time was spent in Nova Scotia with two days in New Brunswick. I enjoyed visiting the area, and do hope to return again someday.

There is something so peaceful living near the water. I'll never achieve it now, but it was once a dream of mine.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I have a group of relatives that came from Nova Scotia. Name of Trefry.

Coffee is on, and stay safe.

margi said...

Beautifully written! I love simple living close to nature and there is something so peaceful about your island.

Coffee Frappes & Seashells said...

Beautiful post and poem
I feel the words in my heart.

The Furry Gnome said...

I can sell understand your love of Newfoundland and PEI.

Billie Jo said...

What a beautiful place to spend your days, my friend. I would pack up and move tomorrow if I could!!!

Red said...

That's a good sales pitch for PEI. We all love it with it's scenery and people. We also have friends and acquaintances here and they sell the island just being good people.

Anita said...

Beautiful written and so nice photoes
You live very beautiful❤️

acorn hollow said...

What a beautiful description of your island. You are blessed and realize it.
I have been to Canada several times but never to your area.
Cathy

Linda d said...

The love of your island, your place in this world, shows through your lens. And through you, I too have fallen in love.

Granny Sue said...

Beautiful post! My granddaughter 's parents just returned from a vacation on PEI, and I am so jealous. Maybe one day I will see your beautiful homepage myself.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

PEI is certainly an attractive place, Marie, and Miriam and I love it as you know. Having said that, we have never been there when the winds of winter grip the Island, or when hurricanes strike and wreak so much havoc. A friend of mine moved to Hawaii years ago and lasted only about five years. The thing that bothered him most - and his wife too - was that they couldn’t go anywhere else without expensive flights off the island. Island living is probably as much a state of mind as anything else.

Liz Hinds said...

Such wise and true words. I once told Husband I'd move home anywhere with him but it had to be near the sea.
As other people have said, I've fallen in love with your island too.

Helen said...

Marie, it is always such a joy to return to your island via your posts. Your photo is stunning and I've tried to imagine where you may have taken it. Was it along the shoreline east of Cavendish?

eileeninmd said...

Hello Marie,

You do live in a beautiful place. Love the Island life poem. The photos and coastal scene is gorgeous. I can imagine I would be out everyday with my camera. Take care, enjoy your day!

Marie Smith said...

Hi Helen,

The photo was taken at the beach by Brander’s Pond. I love that area but we haven’t been there this year yet. The humidity last month kept us close to home and the weather this month has been awful. It is wet and windy again this morning. Jacket weather for sure.

The boardwalk will suffice for another few days.

Marie

Debbie said...

oooooh marie, this is a beautiful portrait of the special place in which you live. "idyllic" is the ideal word to describe prince edward island. the image...your words, and the poem all a perfect way to describe your home!!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I would love to visit your area. Never been there, and it sounds wonderful and looks gorgeous, and so different from the California desert where I spend a lot of my free time.

Catarina said...

Beautiful poem!
When I think of islands, serenity and beauty come to mind. But I know it is not always the case... There are strong winds, there are strong tides.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Such a lovely post Marie- Your Island sounds peaceful and beautiful." I wouldn’t hesitate to take a walk alone at any time, or speak to a stranger." Idon't think I would would anywhere where I live alone at night and certainly I am cautious of strangers here near the big city. God Bless that you have found sound a wonderful place to live.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hello Marie from a first time visitor to your blog. I stopped in from my friend Kathleen's blog, Eggs in My Pocket ...and very much enjoyed reading how you felt about your PEI home. We hope to visit one day in the future and I appreciated reading how you felt about your home. It does sound very special. I will be reading some previous posts as well because it is always "nice" to meet a new fellow blogger 😀

DUTA said...

'Give me an island in the middle of the sea. Island life is for me'
That sums it up . You're happy to live on an island, and we can see why, in the lovely, explanatory poem you've written about it.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Looks absolutely stunning!
Foud you whilst blog hopping :)
Jillxo

William Kendall said...

Never been to the Rock, but I've been to PEI a couple of times.

Ginnie Hart said...

What I think we all love about your posts, Marie, is that you show the love you have of this place where you live in peace, one with Nature. The rest of us are happy if we ever have a chance to spend vacation time in such a place!

HWIT BLOGG said...

Lovely picture! I just love my island life!!
Titti

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

You are so fortunate to live where you do. PEI has always been a place that I have wanted to visit. Maybe one day I'll get there.

Jenn said...

Lovely!! I hope to visit someday.