Most Popular Post

Saturday 14 September 2024

September on the island

It was a busy week during which we did some of our usual September activities. Of course my husband and I also walked the boardwalk some days too. Each excursion had highlights which made the experience memorable, like the planters at Arlington Orchard.





One of our family activities in September every year is a trip to the apple orchard. 





Our daughter and grandchildren always enjoy apple picking and the old folks tag along for the adventure. It rained in the morning that day so we didn’t have the usual picnic lunch but we enjoyed time with the family nonetheless. The day ended at the zip line, followed by ice cream.





Early last week, we discovered a young fox along the boardwalk. We watched for several minutes in two locations as the fox observed us. We took dozens of photos, but these are my favourite, a smile, 





and the soft look of the fuzzy fur.





The next day we drove to nearby Tyne Valley. The hilly trail, unusual for the island is one I find challenging. One area has a stream running through, and the water reflects the trees and the sky.





Another day on the boardwalk, two Great Blue Herons were fishing in Bedeque Bay at low tide. We watched them fly around in the bay and took lots of photos, including this favourite I call blue reflection.





Cousin’s Shore on the north coast is a favourite beach of our family where the grandchildren love the stream. 





Just off-shore that day, fishers in a scallop fishing boat were busy bringing in their catch.





A small flock of Semipalmated Plovers and Sandpipers rested in the sand. This perfect little Plover stood a few feet away as I admired it.





At Brander’s Pond nearby, we did our seasonal walk on the beach by the sea stack. I never tire of this scene, especially this year since the Cormorants were perched on the stack. 





They have been missing in recent years. Meanwhile a Bald Eagle was standing watch on the cliffs though I didn’t get a good photo of it. 


When we walk west on the beach, the eastern coastline comes into view. This scene is one of my favourites on the island.





On the beach, closer to the sea stack, a lobster trap has washed ashore, leftover from the spring fishery. I hope a fisherman will collect it for use next year.





It looks like another great week of weather on Prince Edward Island this coming week and we hope to be out and about to enjoy our island home.



24 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lots of seasonal fun!

DJan said...

What a wonderful batch of pictures to transport me to your island. I love that blue heron shot especially.

aurora said...

Good weather makes all the difference. We are experiencing a very hot and dry start to Fall, here in the (US) Midwest. What a curious & cute fox you captured!

I wonder what those Sea Stacks are saying to each other?!??

Catarina said...

So much to see, to explore and to enjoy...

Anvilcloud said...

You haven't said anything about cycling for quite awhile. I've had to give it up for now.

Hena Tayeb said...

Lovely photos. Enjoy your good weather.

photowannabe said...

Oh how I love those jeans planters. Too cute.
I sure hope we get up to our favorite apple orchards too this year. Its all about the apple cider donuts..diet beware...
Beautiful fuzzy fox too. Terrific captures.
Love the blue reflection and heron.
Perfect shot of the plover. How nice of him to pose for you.
Enjoy your walks this week. Looks like perfect weather.
Sue

Debbie said...

i so enjoyed all of you pictures today but i think you easily know my favorite...the jeans with the mums. for me, that stole the show today. the plover was a beauty as well!!

Bill said...

Thanks for sharing all the beauty around you. I love the photos of the fox, they are beautiful.

margi said...

The photos of the sea and the shore are fantastic!

Elephant's Child said...

Absolutely beautiful. I love the planters, the sea, the sky and the birds. That young fox melted my heart too.

Rose said...

I was going to say I don't know what my favorite part of your week was but then when I scrolled back, it is the fox! I have always found them fascinating...

Joanne Noragon said...

Wonderful, engrossing post.

Red said...

Fall can give us some very pleasant weather.

Lorrie said...

You capture PEI's beauty so well, Marie. Love the heron photo, and those fox photos are adorable. I'm glad there is more summer for you to enjoy.

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like a fun week, especially the visit to the apple orchard .
The views are lovely, I like the sea stack with the cormorants, the cute plover and the heron. Your favorite beach does look wonderful. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Those apples look like they are ready for picking! Barb tried the apples up here when she was up, but they were not ready yet. Maybe another week or two.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love apple season and we usually go picking with the grandkids! That photo of the fox is exquisite

Pam said...

I enjoy going on your walks with you. Thank you

Maebeme said...

Wonderful photos! Love the shots of the fox. Clearly a bit leery of your proximity but curious as well.
Enjoy the lovely weather!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Only seen a few fox in my life time.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Whoever would have thought you could plant flowers in jeans! They look great and so quirky (made me laugh). The fox is very cute :)

MARY G said...

My landlocked life is brightened evey time by your lovely and lovingly curated photos. Love the fox. And the reflections. But most of all, the beach and the sea.
Beautiful. thank you.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Marie :)
Lovely view of the Sea Stack with the Cormorants, good shot of the plover, heron, and fox