Most Popular Post

Thursday 9 January 2014

Annie

The last posting for this week is a day early because this is the fiftieth anniversary of a tragic event that I have never forgotten.  My mother's notation on an old class picture reminded me of the date.

I can't tell you what she liked to play or how many siblings she had.  I don't know her favourite food or what she watched on television.  My childhood memory of her isn't very specific.  I do know she was in my class and I remember blond hair.  I know we played outside school together at recess and lunch time and she was in my class pictures in the early grades.  

Her name was Annie Merner and on January 9, 1964 she was walking along Topsail Road, Newfoundland where she lived.  She was killed by a hit and run driver.  To my knowledge, the case was never solved.

Somewhere out there is/was someone who hit a ten year old child and left her to die on the side of the road. 

What else is there to say?


                  Annie Merner, grade 4, 1962-1963

No comments: