Most Popular Post

Friday 29 September 2017

Fox Run and Ravine

On our recent trip to the Bonshaw Trails, my husband and I hiked the  Fox Run and Ravine branches from the upper portion of the main trail. We planned to focus on the trees this time. 


The leaves have begun to change colour but few have fallen to the ground. Your eyes are drawn upwards to the canopy, where the upper story is changing first.




 The dark green of aged leaves still creates a green glow at lower levels.




The trunks of many of the trees were unusual.





They provide homes for a variety of creatures 




and are a curiosity to hikers. 




The golden grand-dog, who accompanies us on these hikes, enjoyed time off-lead as we were the only people on the trail.





There were several other items which attracted our attention. On the Ravine Trail, there was an animal skull atop a stump. From on-line research, we determined it was a bovine rather than an equine skull. 





We always look for interesting shadows on the trails. This one looks staged.





At the beginning and end of the hike, we walked through a meadow of goldenrod, 




gone to seed now. 





This caterpillar of an American dagger moth walked across that path. It was our favourite photo of the day.




Hello!


30 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Such wonderful, gnarly old trees! And what, no foxes in a place called Fox Run?

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Every walk is a new adventure Marie.. love the trees, each one with all it's gnarly bits has a story to tell .😀

DJan said...

Simply wonderful! I meant to tell you how much I like your new header picture, BTW. I think the interesting tree root sculptures are my favorites. :-)

Tomoko said...

Hello,Marie,
You find a lot of interesting old trees. Each tree is telling its dramatic history.
I always admire your careful observation.The caterpillar is humorous when I think it is wiggling on the grand. Have a good weekend.

Anvilcloud said...

My fave photo is the shadow of the bracken (I assume) one.

Linda d said...

Tree stumps are fabulous and usually have a story if you bother to look. You do look and find wonders.

Bill said...

Great shots Marie. A walk through the woods always unveils its hidden treasures. I love that tree that looks like it has legs, it's totally amazing.

Elephant's Child said...

Oooh.
My favourites changed as I scrolled down. So much beauty. So much wonder. Megathanks.

Marie Smith said...

A fox crossed the road in front of us as we approached the parking lot, Debra.

Marie Smith said...

The trees were individuals, PDP.

Marie Smith said...

The trees were amazing in that area, Jan.

The header photo has compreesed the print size. I may take it out.

Marie Smith said...

Trees are amazing in the unique features, Tomoko.

Marie Smith said...

I love the shadow photo too, AC.

Catarina said...

All photos are great!
Nice hike.
: )

Marie Smith said...

I do take the time to look at trees, Linda. They are wondrous!

Marie Smith said...

That tree is great, isn't it, Bill?

Marie Smith said...

You are welcome, EC. I enjoy taking you along!

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely walk. Love the shadows.

Rick (Ratty) said...

The tree pictures are the kind I have always liked taking. Looking around at and up at the trees is one of my favorite things to do.

Marie Smith said...

It was a great hike, Catarina.

Marie Smith said...

I love the shadows photos too, Mildred.

Marie Smith said...

Trees are a wonder, aren't they Ratty?

Debbie said...

what a great look through the trees, as they just begin to turn color!! and those tree trunks, doing it their own way!!

lot's of very cool things to see on this trail - have a wonderful weekend!!!

Ginnie said...

What a variety of photos Marie. My favorite was the one you thought looked staged. The shadows were very peaceful and lovely.

Marie Smith said...

Doing it their own way indeed! Each perfect in its own unique way, Debbie.

Marie Smith said...

Shadows on the trails are among my favourite things, Ginnie!

Robert Smith said...

When you say a "field of Golden Rod", is it planted for commercial use or just spread wild? Here in the Mother Country we only use it as an ornamental garden flower, otherwise it's treated as a weed. Lovely pictures.

Marie Smith said...

It is field of weeds, Keith, with the dominant weed being goldenrod.

Mage said...

He looks so dangerous too.

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks like a cow skull to me.