Most Popular Post

Friday 20 July 2018

Ebb and flow

As a child staying with my grandparents’ at their home in Maddox Cove, Newfoundland, I was aware of the sea. Granda earned his living from the sea. He was acutely aware of her tides, the moon phases and the weather. He could read the look of the water and sky. While I played at the beach, my child’s view of the sea was limited, though I loved the sound and smell of her. 


Later in my life, I moved to central Newfoundland with my husband where we lived for over thirty years. I could not have been farther from the sea on that island. Now, in Summerside, Prince Edward Island we are near the sea again. However near is not the same as living on the shoreline. Our recent week at a beach house in Launching brought me back to those days in Maddox Cove.


In Launching, the tide controlled in which direction and how far one could walk on the beach. We were there leading up to the new moon, when the difference in water levels at high and low tide is the greatest. High tide meant the sea was mere centimeters from the base of the steps down to the beach. 





Low tide allowed us to walk for kilometers and collect shells and seafood from the beach if we were so inclined. The beach expanded far into the bay and the water wasn’t very deep. We could collect scallops, dig for clams, such as soft shell and razor clams. 





There are small crabs as well though too small for eating. 





At low tide there are oysters along the beach but this area is leased to local fishers and it is illegal to collect oysters here. Along the shoreline, marker buoys are out of water at low tide.





This bay is separated from the Northumberland Strait by a sand spit. 



                               The Northumberland Strait is beyond the grass in the center of the photo.

There is a river which empties into the bay to the north. The sound of waves crashing was absent, merely a gentle lap of water along the shoreline at high tide. The air was fresh and clean. The smell of the sea was noticeable along the shoreline.





We watched the ebb and flow of the water in anticipation of low and high tide. The six hour rhythm from tide to tide quickly became a part of life there.

I understand now Granda.




30 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

When we were down east, one day we sat by the Bay of Fundy for hours and just watched the tide come in. People probably thought that we were loony.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I haven't been by the sea all that often in my life, but I always enjoy it. Especially at night, listening to the surf.

Tabor said...

We have a boat and have to watch the weather here more than the tides. The Bay can get dangerous in just a short time. Our tides are not a significant, but sometimes the water comes over the dock. That was a lovely visit to your area.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

There really is something special about living by the sea Marie, the air is clearer, the beaches enticing whether winter or summer. Sounds like you had a wonderful family weekend away ✨

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

It has been a long, long time since I've seen the sea.

Bill said...

I love the sea, it's been part of me for most of my life and the sounds are very special.

Celia said...

I really miss the sea, thanks for the trip with you. I spent most of my early childhood until the first grade living next to the Pacific in what was then fishing villages (mid-1940's). I have plans to return for a bit end of this summer.

Rhodesia said...

I have never spent much time by the sea and I do not really like swimming in it. I love walking along the shore but somehow I find that massive amount a water a little scary! I love seafood though :-) Great photos. Enjoy your weekend Diane

Elephant's Child said...

It is way too long since I have seen, heard, smelt the sea. Powerful and beautiful.

DJan said...

What wonderful memories. Your stories and pictures help me to understand the sea and its fascination much better. I'd love to hear more about your granda. :-)

Retired Knitter said...

Living by the water has always been a dream of mine but always far from possible - with jobs and family and a husband who does not like water. How lucky you are.

Marie Smith said...

I understand that desire AC. The tides are a glorious wonder!

Marie Smith said...

There’s nothing like the windows open and the sound of the surf to lul you to sleep Debra.

Marie Smith said...

That duck boat accident was because of weather. One must be so watchful around the water Tabor!

Marie Smith said...

Living by the sea year round would be wonderful PDP.

Marie Smith said...

I am glad to live near the sea again William.

Marie Smith said...

Lucky you Bill.

Marie Smith said...

I hope your visit is everything you hope for Celia.

Marie Smith said...

The seafood is a bonus for me Diane.

Marie Smith said...

Hope you can visit the sea in the near future EC.

Marie Smith said...

I’ll share more about granda Jan.

Marie Smith said...

I am indeed RK.

Ginnie Hart said...

I have never lived in such a place, Marie, so close to the shoreline, but I have spent many a holiday either at the family cottage on the small lake or near Lake Michigan on the big lake. Whether the water is lapping or crashing with waves, it's a thrill one never forgets. I love it for you that you have these moments and memories. Thanks for sharing them.

Stewart M said...

Wonderful post. Most of us seem drawn to the sea, even if we don't know why. You could live a lifetime on the shores of the sea and still not really know what she is about.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Marie Smith said...

Thank you Ginnie! It must be lovely along Lake Michigan as well.

Marie Smith said...

Thanks Stewart. The sea certainly does draw us in...pun intended!

Catarina said...

I love the ocean. Love the beach. We know about tides. We know when to walk around that rock and when to come back before the high tide. : )) Caution should be exercised at all times.

Jenn said...

How wonderful. I have always felt happiest when I am by the ocean. I used to spend family vacations on the west coast. Currently stuck in Alberta, which I love but too far from the ocean.

Marie Smith said...

A healthy respect of nature is how I see it Catarina.

Marie Smith said...

I know that feeling being away from the sea Jenn. Not great!