Most Popular Post

Friday 9 July 2021

The reflection

A Great Blue Heron hangs out around the harbour in Summerside this summer. While there have always been herons stopping by the harbour, this one is a constant presence. Sometimes another heron is with it. Maybe there’s a nest nearby.


This past week, the weather has been cold and wet and we’ve stayed close to home, bringing umbrellas with us when it’s not too windy, walking the boardwalk rather than going further afield. One morning, I stood at the gazebo looking out to sea when a heron silently stepped from amongst the reeds below.





I watched as it walked stealthily in the water one careful foot after the other, barely rippling the water. 





It stopped and watched, waiting for movement below. Numerous photos ensued since I was either ignored by the bird or undetected. 


It was a windy day, however, the water in this part of the pond was calm, a perfect mirror, so perfect, the reflection shows the yellow blossoms on the plants and the details of the bird.



                                                                          The reflection


By the time I decided to take some video, within a few minutes, the heron turned away and took to wing. The six second video is here.



I took two photos from the video, not the best quality but the wingspan of the bird is obvious





and impressive.





Being in the presence of such a beautiful creature for a precious few moments is one of the great joys of nature.



29 comments:

steph said...

some nice shots!
We have a local heron at little park near me. I was taking his/her photo one day and didn't realize until I got the photos on my computer blown up that the poor dear was missing a foot! Never could have known this the way it moved around. Apparently not a new injury...lots of people I told already knew. And I didn't know about how herons pretty much live territorially....alone.

Martha said...

Fantastic captures of the heron! I hope the weather improves a bit soon. Have a great weekend Marie. :)

Bill said...

Those are some wonderful shots of the heron. They are interesting birds to watch. We have one that hangs around a certain area with the gulls. I love the reflection, a fantastic capture indeed!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You got some absolutely beautiful shots of it!

William Kendall said...

I don't see them too often. But I enjoy seeing them at work in the water.

photowannabe said...

They are such magnificent birds. Thanks for sharing your view from the boardwalk.
It's difficult to think about the weather being so cold and windy when we are in for a week of severe hot temperatures...Today at my house...
109F and then it's suppose to go up from there..
I really hate to see our electric bill at the end of this month!
Sue

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for these outstanding shots and the video.
True joy.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Stunning shots.

Lorrie said...

What a lovely experience to watch the heron pick his/her way along the water. The reflection photo is stunning!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Lovely reflection...

πŸŒ±πŸŒΌπŸŒΏπŸŒ»πŸƒπŸŒΌπŸŒ±

Boud said...

Wr have great blue herons locally, and I love to see them in flight over the trees to a from all our ponds and the marsh. Fir several years there was a solitary one I came to recognize, named him Harry. I hoped for a mate for him, and finally one showed up. We now have at least a couple of pairs, I think.

The Furry Gnome said...

Fabulous reflections! What luck!

Joanne Noragon said...

This is a beautiful sequence. The heron that stops at the local pond is far more cautious. It sees me across the pond, across the road.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I think it pretty cool during mating season, and the males do what I call their dance.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Barbara said...

That Heron and the reflections were perfect.

Ginnie Hart said...

Totally awesome, Marie, all of it. I love the video and that you were able to capture stills from it. Good job!

Debbie said...

WoW!!! these images of the heron are gorgeous. the first and the reflection one are gorgeous!!

many, many thanks for the beautiful comments you have been leaving for me while i have bee out of commission!!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Perhaps in a few short weeks I will be able make his/her acquaintance!

Anvilcloud said...

I have had this experience. It is extremely nice.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Very nice! Beautiful photos are smile makers.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Very nice!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love the Heron's reflection photos. Great captures and video. The Herons are fun to watch!
Take care, enjoy your weekend!

Anita said...

The Grey Heron is a beautiful big bird!!I used to watch them before but now they have vanished from my lake may be they are breeding in flocks some where

Very nice captured because they are very very shy

Happy weekend to you :))

Helen said...

I can sense / feel your joy of this close encounter. A spirit lifter given the weather you have had. The reflection add to the joy.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Superb reflections of the elegant heron Marie, super perfect conditions for these shots ✨

The Liberty Belle said...

Very nice snaps! Have a wonderful week.

Tomoko said...

I like the heron's reflection. so lovely! Marie.

Catarina said...

Your pictures are fabulous.

baili said...

your last sentence warmed my heart dear Marie ,we think a like :)

the wingspan you captured is BRILLIANT and ENCHANTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

the reflection is so remarkable .
nature has cure for all hearts who seek for the truth and long to find comfort within divine serenity .i can spend hours and hours while walking in such soul freshening environment and among such delightful pretty birds :)