Most Popular Post

Wednesday 23 January 2019

The thought



It happened as if in slow motion. I could see the little two year old body as it rolled over the stairs, stopped at the bottom and cried, loudly. Sylvie had fallen.

It started out with tickles and laughter in her room, playing pretend sand castles on the floor of her bedroom. My mother’s words jumped into my head. Any time
my brother and I did the same, Mom always said it would end with someone crying. Sylvie and I were just tickling surely.  Nothing could happen. 

Sylvie ran ahead to the stairs as the dog and I followed. I remember thinking that the dog should wait to go down the stairs so as not to trip Sylvie. Then the toddler turned and lost her footing. My mind processed the tumble in slow motion but in reality, the tiny frame quickly hit various places on each step.

Her father scooped her up and he and our daughter checked her out. A large lump appeared almost instantly on her forehead. The hospital was the only option.

I became busy with baby sister, Caitlin which was a good distraction. Every detail is etched in my mind. She smiled her way through her bath and reached repeatedly for the book during story time. She cried a few seconds then quietly watched and listened to the crib toys as I turned out the light. I circled the main floor numerous times, trailed by Georgie, the golden retriever.

Finally they were home and everything was fine. They had to watch Sylvie closely for the next few hours and monitor for the next 72. She was sleepy as it was well past her bedtime. As my husband and I drove home, I was on the verge of tears, felt weak, tired and overcome by the experience. A sudden deep weariness came over me. 


Besides being extra careful around stairs with the kids, the next time my mother's words reverberated in my head, I paid more attention! 

20 comments:

William Kendall said...

It's a shock to the system even for those who aren't hurt when a toddler takes a fall.

Anonymous said...

So Sorry! I know the feeling...and the worry! Andrea

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

what a scare for you all. I know I gave my parents a similar scare by falling from their bed and cracking my head on the handle of a chest of drawers. I soon recovered though the handle of the drawer was never fixed, which is the only reason I know about the accident. I'm sure Sylvie will be fine and forget all about it too, though perhaps take a little more care on the stairs.

Linda d said...

Ugh, a scary and heart wrenching event. Hugs to Sylvia and grandma.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

My son had a similar fall during his toddler times, it was a scary time. Mothers do worry about their children. The worrying never stops. Hugs to all!

Rhodesia said...

Oh dear, little gates on stairs are always a good slow up, Very frightening for you all am sure. Hope all is well now. Take care in every aspect. Diane

Mage said...

A horrible shock. I'm so sorry. Glad she is ok now.

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that she is ok. And remember that total exhaustion when the worry (which has it seems been holding us upright) dissapates.

Barb said...

Yes, I have experienced these everyday accidents with my own children and now with Grandchildren. Of course when it happens on my watch with a grandchild, I feel very guilty, though I logically know it was an accident and probably couldn't be prevented. I'm glad that your granddaughter is fine. Yes, when I hear my mother's voice in my head, I pay attention too!

Joanne Noragon said...

Horrid, horrid fright. It happens so unexpectedly, even with mom behind your ear.

Lowcarb team member said...

Goodness, so scary.
Sending my thoughts and good wishes.

All the best Jan

Anvilcloud said...

That's scary. It is important to invest in one of those gate devices.

Catarina said...

That was a very scary moment...
I am glad she is well.

The Happy Whisk said...

Sometimes we can only learn by doing. Glad everything is okay now.

DJan said...

So glad it turned out well. Yes, it's hard to take care of our precious little ones without the occasional mishap. :-)

Ginnie Hart said...

Having the responsibility of caring for our new g'daughter brings visions like this, Marie. It's almost harder on us than it was being parents. God knows we don't want anything "drastic" to happen on our watch. Thankfully, you've come through the hell and high water. But it always stays with you, I know.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh Marie what a fright you would have had, so happy to hear all is well. My grandchildren in Sydney live in a cottage with stairs, honestly they totally freak me out. I'm a wreck when I'm there or see them running near the top of the stairs when we Skype, somehow they survive thankfully ✨

jenny_o said...

Oh, Marie! What a worry that would be.

Our son stepped off the stairs into mid-air "to try to fly" when he was about three (and no longer needed the gate, we thought). It was like you said -- everything seemed to slow down.

I'm glad it all turned out well in the end!

Barbara said...

Little sweetheart. Sorry this happened. I'm sure you did see it replay in your mind. Watching our kids get hurt is the worst.

Unknown said...

My father used to say "There's going to be a
crying do" an time we got a bit too rambunctious


'