Most Popular Post

Wednesday 17 June 2020

A gaggle, a paparazza and a visitor

During our recent visit to Cavendish Grove, my husband and I were delighted to see the geese swimming with their goslings. We hadn’t been able to visit prior to June 1 because the national park was closed due to Covid 19 precautions. By the time we visited this year, the colour of the goslings had changed from the soft yellow and they were big. It was great to see them nonetheless.


They first appeared while we ate lunch and we were far enough away so as not to affect the birds. 





We wanted to keep it that way so I decided to hide behind the huge tree trunks in the Grove to take photos, like a paparazza, while my husband walked away with the golden grand-dog.


The young birds pulled on the grasses just as the adults did. 





They ate happily for ten minutes or so as I hid behind the trees with hardly more than the camera lens visible. 





I lost my balance and I stepped out briefly from behind the tree and back again, but it was too late. I was spotted.





I didn’t hear that goose make a sound but when it quietly turned to swim away, the other adults turned as well and the goslings followed. 





I had a short career as a paparazza. 





P. S.


In keeping with the theme of creatures of flight, we recently discovered a bat clung to our daughter’s vehicle as it was parked in our garage. The animal flew to the floor and exposed its fangs to us. I managed a photo before we removed it. The tiny creature had leather-like wings and a furry body.





My husband carefully scooped it onto a shovel and placed it under the patio at the back of the house. It walked away from us, using its legs and wings. Its walk is peculiar and I wish I had recorded it. The animal made a barely audible noise as well.


Here on Prince Edward Island, the bat population was devastated by White-nose Syndrome over the last several years. The province is tracking bat sightings on the island now and has set up a hotline for people to call with info on sightings. I reported our sighting. The hope is the population is recovering.


We believe it landed on our daughter’s vehicle while she worked the night shift. It was down in the windshield area where the wipers were attached and had a safe drive to our house where she dropped off the kids and the bat attached to the vehicle. The next day, there was no sign of it near the patio where we had placed it. We are hopeful it is living its best bat life.


34 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

You have really nice geese photos here. They are always on high alert. Maybe I shouldn’t say always because one batch that we came across in the park were not about to move, and we and others were close and waiting for them to move. They didn’t, so we did.

DJan said...

The goslings have definitely matured somewhat, but they are still really adorable. Bats scare me; I stay far away from them.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love the goslings, they do grow up quickly. Great collection of geese photos. I wonder if the bat flew into the car and was hurt. We have had the same thing happen to the bat population here. Wishing you a happy day!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Geese and bats! You get around.

Debbie said...

it is so wonderful to see so many goslings. as you probably know, many don't survive being eaten by larger prey. by this size, i often only see 2 or 3 at best, i am glad to see so many survived!! you are a kind paparazzo and your images are beautiful!!

i have seen bats here at my house and i am not a fan, but that is an excellent picture. good of you to report the sighting!!!

The Furry Gnome said...

Sorry your career as a paparazzo was so short! Great picture of the bat.

Linda said...

Two words......Cavendish Cove. Just its name makes it sound quite lovely, not to mention the geese with their goslings. What a lovely day.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I love the look on Mumma ducks face when she spots you Marie 😊 Aren't they a gorgeous family, they certainly have grown since we last saw them. How about the bat showing you its fangs 😱 you did a good job of rescuing it, I'm sure it's a happy bat!

Silver in AZ said...

Growing up, we had a bat that seemed to live in the alcove just to the side of our front door. (yuck.) That thing always scared the crap out of me, but he never paid us any mind.

Elephant's Child said...

That is one huge family - which is a tribute to the parents. They are no doubt saying 'they grow so fast' which I suspect is true of all parents whatever their species.
I love that the bat population is recovering. Long may it last.

Bill said...

A family affair, they had to get the youngins away from the crazy photographer who thinks she can just walk in and take photos without permission.:) Good to hear that the bat got rescued and place somewhere else safer. Have a nice evening.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

A short career but a successful one - you got the photos and that's all that counts!

Angela said...

Sweet geese and goslings! Nature is just lovely! Bats do get a bat rep but they are useful creatures who serves it's purpose in this earth. I hope it survived and is doing well. I can't say they are cute though.

Helen said...

Marie, your career may have been short but it was very effective. They are delightful images.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The gaggle of geese is a thrill to watch. Now, I'm not so sure about the bat. I know they can be good, but I don’t care to get too close to one.

The Padre said...

Love Those Little Fury G's - Too Cute - Dig Bats In Flight

Cheers

Joanne Noragon said...

It is amazing how quickly and quietly a family of Canada geese can slip away.

Rose said...

I love your pics...I have not seen a single family of geese of this year. I have not been out enough.

Red said...

Gees are interesting characters to watch. People are feeding them so they look for food from people.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Great bat photo. I find bats fascinating :)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Not to get too pedantic about this, but if you took the picture, not your husband, you would be a paparazza not a paparazzo.

Rhodesia said...

Love the photos of the geese and the bat is interesting. I have only seen one close to hear many years ago but they are always around in the evening and they go over our barn door and mess on the car inside!!!! Stay safe, Diane

Marie Smith said...

Thank you David.

Retired Knitter said...

Great nature pictures. All of them!! But keep your "day job" as you don't have what it takes to take secret pictures!! Hahaha!

Susan Zarzycki said...

The bat pictures and story are so interesting!💖

photowannabe said...

Well, the way my last name is pronounced I should be a fan of bats...I guess they actually scare me. They look so menacing but I know they are good for the mosquito population.
Love the gosling photos and the alert parents. Great capture.
Sue

Catarina said...

Mamma was watching. Her "children" were so well behaved!
As for the bat... not particularly fond of them.

J said...

Lovely photos, those goslings have grown, but they still look very cute. Greetings!

Tanza Erlambang said...

you are a real paparazza, goose usually sound hard when we approach.

Thank you for sharing wonderful wildlife

baili said...

Oh these are PRECIOUS SIGHT :)))

you did great as paparazza :) i so enjoyed your amusing way of story telling:)

they are excellent and delightful shots indeed ,i am happy to see this lovely family wandering over the glowing chest of water
thank you for bringing joy to my heart
hugs!

Liz Hinds said...

Poor little bat. Hope it made a full recovery.
And those goslings are gorgeous.

William Kendall said...

That bat got around.

Barbara said...

Busted. That Momma Duck caught you and you got a great shot.

Down by the sea said...

Wonderful picture of the bat, I hope it recovered. Wonderful to see those fantastic images of the geese family. In our previous home the geese always flew overhead in the autumn, we miss that. Over the last year we have sightings of geese hopefully they are establishing themselves closeby. Sarah x