Most Popular Post

Wednesday 6 January 2021

Island speak

Newfoundlanders are known for our unique words and speech. We even have our own dictionary. A recent two minute video done by TSN, highlights some of the uniques sayings of Newfoundlanders, and can be seen 


here.


The two young men featured are Newfoundland members of Canada’s team at the World Junior Hockey championships this year. They were defeated by the U. S. Team last night.


Having lived on Prince Edward Island for a few years now, my husband and I have grown accustomed to PEI speak too. Some islanders don’t recognize their own originality of terms or phrases, so I wrote a poem to help. As a woman of both islands I love



              Island speak


You know you’re on the island 

If corners have a name.

Like Read’s or Cook’s or Kenny’s,

All islanders know the same.


While “How are ya?” is common, 

I’ve often heard it said.

Just add an s and it becomes

“How are yas?” instead.


Anywheres and nowheres

And somewheres, so yas see-

Islanders they like an s

Added easily.


Then there are directions,

Like out west to go away,

Or up west to go to Tignish

And down east to Broughton Bay.


It is just a fresh day

When the wind is blowing high

And the cold enough to freeze yas

As yas learn that yas can fly.


Everything is worst here,

For comparisons of two.

So as for a crowd yas say

He is worst than you, ah...yas.


And when yas leave the island

By ferry or by car

Acrosst is where yas going cause

Yas don’t have to go far.


With love, Marie.


25 comments:

DJan said...

Oh, I love this, Marie. Your poem is delightful! Thank you for the link, which I will now go visit. :-)

Beside a babbling brook... said...

LOVE such local "sayings." -smile-

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Love the video and your poem! I love regional dialect! We have a few on the prairies. Someday I'll explain the difference between "gitch, gotch and gonch." Too bad Canada lost last night, but I'm sure no other team was sorry to see us taken down.

Martha said...

I love it!

Boud said...

I love regional language. I must go back now to the video. Just had to comment first!

Elephant's Child said...

Smiling broadly. Thank you. And a most excellent poem too.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I just found your blog on Glenda Beall's site. I like your poem very much.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Bill said...

Very nice poem, Marie!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Very interesting .

Barbara said...

That is so cute.

Anvilcloud said...

That's brilliant.

Tanza Erlambang said...

Thank you for sharing video about "unique words and speech" of Newfoundlanders... so exciting.

Very nice poem.

Have a wonderful day

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I confess to being woefully ignorant of these regional variations in speech, but i will pay more attention when I am next "down east" - if ever COVID permits such a luxury.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Marie

I loved the cute poem! Take care, enjoy your day!

Margaret said...

Wonderful poem! I love the differences in language from place to place.

Rose said...

I love that poem...if I was as talented, I would write a poem about East Tennessee talk. LOL

Mage said...

Wonderful, thank you.

photowannabe said...

Oh Marie, this is delightful.
Yas are so right. I think I hear some of this WAY out West here in California too. Maybe they are transplants.
Fun post.
Sue

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wonderful poem! You are talented.
Third generation Newfoundlander here. I hope someday I can travel there.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

You never fail to amaze me Marie. Great !

Susan Zarzycki said...

Cute poem! We tend to add an r sound to the end of words.💖

Helen said...

Wonderful, even though I tried to read it with the accent and failed miserably!

Debbie said...

awwww, geez, i had no idea!!!

Catarina said...

That is a great poem, Marie!!

Lorrie said...

I've always been fascinated by regional speech. Our school librarian is from Newfoundland and has such interesting expressions and pronunciations for certain words.