Most Popular Post

Thursday 27 October 2022

West to the Shores

After our picnic at Kildare Capes, as mentioned in my last post, my husband and I continued along the northwest coast to Tignish Shores. This beach is one we like to visit to watch Northern Gannets in the spring diving for food off-shore. It is a great place for a walk and we always meet locals as they enjoy their daily walk on this iron-rich sand. 




The beach is just east of a boat basin and part of the wind farm on the northwest coast is visible in the distance. The decorative lighthouse in the nearby park is visible from the beach as well.





The sand dunes in this area were devastated by Fiona 





and the marsh behind the dunes shows how far the storm surge moved inland. 





On that beautiful autumn day, the breeze was enough to provide some fun for the gulls as they sailed above us over the length of beach. Some Buonaparte’s Gulls haven’t migrated south yet. As is usually the case, gulls landed at the mouth of the stream which crosses the beach and empties into the Gulf of St. Lawrence. 





Today they have company as a tractor moves sand around the area of the stream.





While we don’t know for sure, we can speculate that a shift of sand as a result of Fiona necessitated human intervention. A tractor moving sand on a beach is an unusual sight on the island.


A nice surprise was the presence of some migratory birds which stop by the island on their way south for the winter. Most are gone by mid September. However, this day a Sanderling fed along the beach 





as did a White-rumped Sandpiper. 





I watched the birds as I walked both ways on the beach, wondering how they would manage to fly south alone and wished they’d join forces for what lies ahead. 


Meanwhile in the water just off shore, three Red-throated Loons floated around 





as a seal swam nearby. 



                          Can you see the seal’s head?


There was something else in the water but I couldn’t manage a photo. 


Island beaches are a source of wonder!









27 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I think I see the seal's head but it's hard to pick it out from the waves!

DJan said...

You live in such a beautiful place. Thanks for the tour with the lovely birds.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
What a great outing and walk. I always enjoy time at the beach. The lighthouse is cute. Great captures of the Sanderling and Sandpiper, Gulls and the Loons are beautiful. I assume the bulldozer is trying to build up the dunes. Take care, enjoy your day!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I wonder why they are moving that sand. Inquiring minds want to know! Love the fact that you know all those shorebirds. Have you ever looked up their migration routes? Amazing where they go and how they get back.

Marie Smith said...

Jim,

I have looked at the migration routes for various birds which stop by the island along the way. It is amazing how far they travel every year!

Marie

Catarina said...

Loved this walk. Thank you!!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

This brings up the "wonder," if dunes ever "come back."

"Come back" isn't the right term... More wondering if new dunes form, at the now edge of the water, or whatever...

Need to do a Search...

-smile-

🍁🌰🌻🍂🎃🍂🌻🌰🍁
"Hark! The wind is rising,
And the air is full of leaves.
We've had our summer evenings.
Now, for October Eves."

Anvilcloud said...

Good for you for getting out while the getting out is still good.

Elephant's Child said...

Bird migration blows me away. Such fragile creatures who often travel immense distances...

Bill said...

You saw lots of birds on your walk. Beautiful photos, lovely narrative and thanks for sharing.

photowannabe said...

That was a very magical time to be out and about.
I loved seeing all the birds and the beaches.
The shell is wonderful.
Fiona really did a lot of damage. I hope things can recover.
Sue

At Home In New Zealand said...

Nature can cause such devastation, but it is also capable of incredible rejuvenation - so I wonder if human intervention is truly necessary? Having said that, when humans do interfere, it is often a futile effort as Nature just laughs and goes her own way anyway.

Celia said...

It's amazing the changes storms make. I wonder how long we can actually hold back the erosion of dunes. I'd be really worried if I had a home near the beach on our coast now. One of my friends had a home on the WA coast in a place called Washaway Beach. That should have been the biggest hint. And sadly it indeed gone now. My inland home now is a big stopover for migrating pelicans. We are near the Columbia River in E Washington and near the river are many reedy ponds that they seem to like.

Maebeme said...

Incredible photos! I love seeing the birds especially. It's so sad the dunes were devastated. Hopefully the moving of the sand will help shore up the area.

Red said...

Island beaches are a source of great pleasure.

William Kendall said...

Not sure if what I'm seeing is the seal.

Lorrie said...

So much beauty on your shores. Love the Sanderling and Ruby-throated Loons.

Danielle's Heartfelt Home said...

I can practically smell the ocean! Now I need to take a walk on the beach. I love the seashore at this time of year! : )

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I see the seal! I think. What a lovely place to live and explore.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I hope the island is recovering from the storm, Marie. Great shots of the birds. May I point out that the loons are Red-throated Loons not Ruby-throated. Those are hummingbirds.

Rhodesia said...

Wonderful photos and I love those Ruby throated loons.
Have a good weekend, Diane

Marie Smith said...

David,

Thank you!

Marie

Helen said...

A beautiful day to be enjoying the beach and spotting the large variety of birds.
The image of the Sanderling is particularly beautiful. Such lovely light on the water and seaweed.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Lovely photos of your day at the shoreline. The sand looks very red like it has a great deal of clay in it. It is a shame about all the erosion.

margi said...

Wonderful photos! You live in a really beautiful place!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I find wasp nests both fascinating and terrifying in equal measure. I enjoyed your pictures, as always, particularly the ruffled grouse. I've never seen a grouse before.

Barbara said...

Beautiful pictures. I would love to walk on the beach daily. That was the one thing I like about Florida. Ahh, to be so rich I could live in a beach house.