Most Popular Post

Sunday 30 October 2022

At the estuary


This autumn, my husband and I have been visiting various beaches and waterways of the Prince Edward Island which we haven’t explored before. Many of our usual haunts haven’t been cleared since Fiona blew through. Recently we went west to Alaska, passing the Brae River along the way. The river flows into Brae Harbour on the southwest coast of the island on the Northumberland Strait.





We were happy to see so many birds on the Brae River and the surrounding estuary as the tide was falling so we stopped for some photos.





The grasses in the estuary are golden this time of year 





and since there weren’t many leaves on the trees to change colour this autumn because of Fiona, 





the colour of the grasses and the surrounding vegetation were a treat. We took lots of photos.





However, we didn’t totally neglect the birds. A Kingfisher,



Greater Yellowlegs





and the small Bonaparte’s Gulls held our attention too. 





In the distance we could see ducks and herons.


We continued on to Alaska where we explored and had lunch. On the way back, a few hours later, we stopped at the estuary again. As we left the car, a huge flock of Starlings took off from the wire where they were sitting. Minutes later we watched a murmuration across the sky as somehow the starlings moved as one. 





I was so excited to watch them, I neglected to take video. 


On the water, a cormorant dived for a meal and then spread his wings to dry. 





In the distance, the herons, gulls and ducks went about their business.





The overcast day gave a silver sheen to the water. 





Looking across to the trees in the distance, a Bald Eagle sat watching the scene too. Had the starlings reacted to its presence?


We observed the setting for a number of minutes before we left for home. That time in nature was priceless! 




  









31 comments:

DJan said...

Such a wonderful place where you live. Thank you for all the great pictures! I feel like I know the place too. :-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Those golden grasses are a gorgeous shade!

Boud said...

What great birds you have there. There must be good fishing for them. Thanks for the tour.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Your travels always read as if from a magical land. Beautiful photos

Bill said...

The grasses have an amazing colour. Beautiful photos, Marie.

Billie Jo said...

You captured those birds perfectly! Thank you for sharing your world with us.

photowannabe said...

Oh I so agree, Nature is therapy to my soul.
Love the silver sheen on the water and the glorious golden grasses in the estuary.
Isn't a murmuration thrilling to watch?
Sue

Maebeme said...

I had no idea there was a community called Alaska on Prince Edward Island - I've learned something new today.
The photos are great and the color of the grasses in the estuary are stunning. I do like watching the starlings as they swoop and dance in the sky.

At Home In New Zealand said...

The golden colour of those grasses is stunning. When I see starlings flying like that it always reminds me of the schools of fish I often see in documentaries - they really swoop and sway as one creature. Beautiful to watch :)

Hena Tayeb said...

The golden grass looks so beautiful.

margi said...

The golden grasses are beautiful and the photos are amazing! I agree with you, time in nature is priceless.

Helen said...

The grasses are stunning in their autumn colour and how thrilling to spot the kingfisher.
In regard to the murmuration, sometimes it is just better to enjoy the moment than record it.

Joanne Noragon said...

Beautiful day; beautiful pictures.

Red said...

Great to see lots of birds on the beach. Great photos although I couldn't find the eagle.

Anvilcloud said...

The grasses in the first photos were quite wonderful. As were the birds, of course. Glad you got to Alaska and back safely.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

That is an amazing shot of the Kingfisher and such a beautiful area. How far are you from Alaska?

eileeninmd said...

Hello Marie,

It is nice to visit new places, spending time with nature. The views are beautiful. Lovely landscapes and I enjoyed seeing all the birds.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

baili said...

dear Marie i found autumn a poetic season since always but in your [art of land it goes beyond it i see :)

these images are mesmerizing !

i was captivated by the sooth and divinity of such beauty reveal your photos my friend . priceless is perfect word because such joy can't be bought :)
each shot is breathtaking! God bless you for this kindness!

William Kendall said...

The grasses are very colourful.

Marie Smith said...

Hi Gluten Free,

We live about 50 km from Alaska, PEI. It is a nice drive on a fall day.

Marie

Catarina said...

I don't usually see grass like that... All the pictures are amazing, but the first ones are just amazing!!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Always enjoy your posts Marie, and your wonderful insights to the views around you. Such a delightful array of wildlife to see on your excursion, what a joy it is!

MFH said...

Dear Marie,

Being of German descent I joke, "Speak to me of Nietzsche or Schopenhauer, but the obvious eludes."

Thus, I puzzled at your quick flight and ease of border crossing. Then, thinking perhaps my geography was off, I checked Google Maps to see if perhaps PEI was, in fact, east of Alaska.

Simultaneously reassured that New Brunswick is still where it was when I last checked, I frantically searched the other comments. My thanks to Maebeme and Marie Smith for saving me from having to call my therapist to help calm me.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I really like golden color or tint to tall grass.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Lorrie said...

Such beautiful scenes from PEI. I love the birds on the silvery water, and all the variety of birdlife you see. And I never knew there was an Alaska, PEI!

The Happy Whisk said...

The grass is STUNNING!!!

Liz Hinds said...

What a glorious golden orange colour on those grasses!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A terrific outing, Marie. Bonaparte's Gulls are such lovely delicate birds, especially when contrasted with the Herring Gulls and Great Black-backed Gulls that are so common where you live.

William Kendall said...

Could have sworn I commented on this one.

The cormorant stands out well.

Debbie said...

i have never seen grasses in these pretty autumn shades, only leaves. you see and are able to capture many beautiful shore birds!! i see the greater yellowlegs here, it's such a beauty!!

Barbara said...

The silver gleam is really gorgeous. You should patent that. LOL