Most Popular Post

Sunday 23 July 2023

July along the boardwalk

It has been hot and humid, so my husband and I have been staying close to home. However, we walk early in the day, ahead of the worst of the heat and humidity. The boardwalk is our usual destination where we can often depend on a breeze to ease the effect of the heat and humidity. That breeze helps control the mosquitoes too.


The view from the gazebo is always our first stop, to look over the bay 





and across to the lighthouse.





The salt marsh changes with the wind and tides as rough waters wash inland during high tide. 


Shorebirds, such as Yellowlegs,





frequent the marsh but we happened upon a visit by a young Robin recently as well.





Every day, I photograph Song Sparrows along the boardwalk. Numerous tiny choristers sing to the heavens every day, oblivious to their human audience. I caught this tiny sparrow eyeing lunch as it flew by, hoping it would land on the tree.





At the bridge over the stream, a feeder is filled by walkers every day.





Recently a young squirrel was reluctant to share the food with birds and other squirrels who came by. It didn’t mind scolding them either.





This time of year, we always notice the wildflowers along the way. As children, my husband and I spent long summer days playing outdoors in different parts of Newfoundland. Seeing the seed pods on the Vetch plant reminded my husband how he and his friends ate those pods every summer. They are healthy and nutritious when the pods are newly formed. The kids didn’t care about that of course. 





Recently at low tide in the bay, a man dug clams along the sand bars as walkers watched him collect his supper. 





The border between the boardwalk and the sea is filled with a sequence of blooms every summer. I love the scenes with the sea as the background to the wildflowers. 




The floral border outlines land and sea.





Finally, even the crows are finding it hot these days. The four we had in our area have become six with the addition of two young ones. They have spent time on our patio railing with their heads back and mouths open but they don’t make a sound. It looks like the equivalent of a dog panting but we are uncertain what the behaviour means. 




All creatures are finding it hot this summer.










42 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh yes, that little squirrel has a LOT to say!

The Happy Whisk said...

Love the pictures and the little critter house too!

Black Knight said...

With all those beautiful things to see (flowers, nature, animals, landscapes) you certainly won't get bored during your walks.
In Italy pasta with clams is a popular dish. However I don't like sea food.
Have a good week ahead.

Tabor said...

Love the birds but also there is nothing more lovely than a wild and messy meadow.

Anvilcloud said...

I am a bit surprised that it is so hot there. Did you get any of the NS rains your way?

Tabor said...

I commented but do not see it here. Maybe it is waiting or approval by you. Anyway I do love the wild meadow photos and would love to set up a tripod in early morning there.

Marie Smith said...

AC,

We had some rain but nothing like N.S. had. No problems with flooding here.

Marie

photowannabe said...

Magical photos.
I like how you find beauty even in the hottest days.
Love the sparrow and the bug lunch. Perfect capture.
Sue

Glenda Beall said...

Another lovely photo essay. I feel I am there listening to the water lap the shore, hearing the squirrel chattering and enjoying the wildflowers. I love wildflowers. On the farm where I grew up, each year there was a large mass of white lilies near a pond in the spring, and on the hillside, little purple violets grew wild. Thanks for taking me on your walk. I look forward to the next one.

Elephant's Child said...

How I love walking with you. Thank you. I hope that your heat and humidity break soon - I hope it for you and for the birds and critters.

Bill said...

The squirrel yelling at the intruders cracked me up. No one was going to get his food. :) Wonderful images and narrative. thanks Marie

Maebeme said...

The boardwalk sounds lovely. Being able to walk by the ocean sounds so peaceful.
I've never seen crows act that way, and in such close proximity to humans. Very interesting!

William Kendall said...

Quite a vocal squirrel! The humidity gets to me too.

DJan said...

I always love visiting your beautiful area. I have noticed quite a few new crows around here, too, but none exhibiting that behavior. Thank you for the wonderful pictures! Breathtaking...

Red said...

The photo of the sparrow and bug is a winner. I like it.

The Furry Gnome said...

Those floral borders along the shore are beautiful.

Joanne Noragon said...

Love the meadow land between walk and water. I don't know how birds cool themselves, but perhaps the crows are doing that. They are such intelligent birds!

Joanne Noragon said...

I just googled: birds pant, just like dogs, with open mouth.

JudithK said...

Yes, to Joanne. I've seen it often in TX, and I always hate it. Cardinals, chickadees...etc etc.

Granny Sue said...

The flowers look so pretty with the sea as a backdrop. I hopebyour weather improves soon.

At Home In New Zealand said...

I've seen blackbirds behave like those crows when they are really hot. Poor creatures, must be so difficult for them to cope with such extreme weather. Your wildflowers are stunning :)

Lux G. said...

Oh, yeah. Stay cool and hydrated, guys. Also, you have a lovely neighborhood. That's wise to go out early so you don't get overheated and still enjoy the sights.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful photos from your walk. I always enjoy the water views and the wildflowers. The birds are all a bonus. I have heard those fussy squirrels, they can be loud. The Yellowlegs is a favorite, but I loved all your birds and photos. Take care, have a happy day and week ahead!

Stewart M said...

Wonderful place - and a bit of a breeze does help keep the mosquitoes away (thankfully!)

Hope all is well. SM

DUTA said...

Humidity is even worse than heat. I like your word 'choristers' referring to birds singing. The sea is the best, most beautiful background to wild flowers!

Liz Hinds said...

What's the little bird in the first squirrel photo? It looks quite blue.
You seem to have such a great variation in your weather especially as winter seems to last so long.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It’s very tranquil compared with what’s going on in Nova Scotia, Marie. The very area that Miriam I visited two years ago was underwater when we saw it in TV. We may need to rethink our visits down east.

Pam said...

nice nature shots. I love being out and about in nature, but when the heat kicks in, I have to stay in

Marie Smith said...

Liz,

The bird you asked about is a Blue Jay. They are quite common here and there is a flock around the boardwalk.

Marie

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wonderful photo story about your walks
The crows are a curious bird the way they behave.
Digging for clams, that brings back memories.
Have a wonderful week!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Great photos! That squirrel is interesting looking with those big eyes and very territorial.

The Padre said...

Another Beautiful Post Here - Well Done

Cheers

Helen said...

Such lovely sights to lift my spirits. I hope the humidity disappears soon. Those poor crows!

Debbie said...

it has been very hot and humid here too. beautiful images today, i LOVED mr. yellowlegs...the robin looks like a young one!!

peppylady (Dora) said...

It sure been a hot summer.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

acorn hollow said...

We are going into the heat for the next few days. Thank you for taking us along on your beautiful walk.
Cathy

baili said...

loved the photos of sea with flower out line :)

sorry that this year summer is more hot and humid ,the beauty of your area is breathtaking dear Marie and this is great you can witness it regularly :)

the annoyed squirrel made me smile :)
loved the bird shots ,so beautifully taken !

enjoy the glory of nature my friend!
hugs

Lea said...

What a great series of photos!
The squirrel scolding the blue jay is absolutely the best!
Have a blessed day!

Ginnie Hart said...

I love where you live, Marie, and find so much of what you see enchanting. However, the heat and humidity would absolutely do me in...as well as the mosquitoes. I do wonder how North America in particular will be able to keep dealing with all this heat in the years to come. I try not to be so scared about it all...and yet we all NEED to be scared enough to do what we can. God have mercy!

Nas said...

It's so funny that the squirrel pic was taken at the right moment just when he decided to scold!

Love all the photos.

Danielle Zecher said...

It has been incredibly HOT this summer. At least the wildflowers seem to be doing well. They're beautiful against the ocean.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Marie, while a newcomer to your blog, I have enjoyed reading and seeing the beauty of your home and we look forward to a future first visit. Now, I know that July may not be the best month due to the heat.