Most Popular Post

Saturday 30 September 2023

Autumn on the island

As autumn settles in, the vegetable patch has done its job for another season. Swiss chard and the indestructible kale are still in production while the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and green beans are finished. Our tomato yield was low this year but we hope to make improvements for next year.


Our grandchildren had a school free day this past week so my husband and I accompanied our daughter and the kids to a new park. The kids enjoyed the playground, especially the zip line. 





We had a picnic in the beautiful September sun, then visited an apple orchard in the area. We picked several apple varieties for cooking and eating. Afterwards, the kids had great fun in the playground which wasn’t busy as it would be on the weekends.




It was a wonderful day!


We have Song Sparrows which nest in our hedge and serenade us every summer morning. We suspect they are the source of the errant sunflower which appeared at the end of one of our flower beds near their nest. I photograph the sunflower every day, admiring its sunny disposition which is a constant in any weather.




I always notice rose hips, their size and colours. Some we’ve seen this month are the size of crabapples. They are an autumn staple and probably would make great rose hip jelly.





This past week we walked the Bubbling Springs Trail in the national park on Prince Edward Island which is one of my husband’s favourite trails. The Mountain Ash trees were full of their autumn-coloured berries which stood out against the clear blue sky.





At the head of the trail, we had a picnic with the sun at our backs and the gentle breeze rustling the leaves around us. Chickadees were flitting through the trees and chirping as they do. We enjoyed homemade turkey soup in our thermoses and a cup of tea. It was peaceful and lovely!


We finished our day at the park with a walk on the nearby beach at Dalvay which is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful beaches on the island. The gulls looked to be enjoying the day too! 





On the way home we stopped briefly at Covehead where the lighthouse was getting a touch-up. It is a popular attraction on the island and is well maintained. 





This coming week is looking like another week for picnics and trail/beach walking. Yay!


39 comments:

Helen said...

What a special day you had with your lovely family. So glad the autumn sunshine is apologising for the dreary summer weather.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Great shots of your grandson on the half-buried tires, the sunflower and the rose hips!

Boud said...

That looks like a fun day. Did you try the zip line??

Black Knight said...

Beautiful photos of your family. 2 grandsons of mine love to go to the parks.
My wife likes to take berries and crabapples in the country at the border of the city.
Sunflowers are my favorite flowers. Every year I plant them in my garden.

Anvilcloud said...

Looks like a great day. It reminds me of spending PA with the grands. We are well beyond that now. Or they are, to be more precise.

DJan said...

What a wonderful post, filled with good cheer and good weather! Thanks for all the super pictures, too. :-)

Liz Hinds said...

You have such lovely walks. I love a zip wire!

Maebeme said...

Great day with the family! Watching the grandchidren play is so much fun.

What wonderful weather you're having. Enjoy!

Bill said...

A fun day with good weather and family. It doesn't get better than that.

Hena Tayeb said...

Looks like you and your grands had a lovely time at the park.
Wishing you more tomatoes next year.

photowannabe said...

I love that you go on hikes and picnics..its a wonderful way to enjoy outdoors and the beauty of your island.
Glad you had fun with your Grands..the park looks like a lot of fun too.
Sue

Elephant's Child said...

Your autumn looks gorgeous - and who better to spend it with than much loved family.

MARY G said...

An idyllic post = envy here, although we have beautiful fall weather. I miss the ocean. And that is odd because I grew up practically in the centre of the continent. But my one trip to PEI is a highlight of my life.

margi said...

What a lovely day with your family! The beach looks amazing!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

The Mountain Ash tree is so lovely! Are the berries edible or can you decorate with them? I love the cheery sunflower! Your grandchildren enjoying a day of play are such sweet photos. I love the beach photo with the birds as well. You have such a magical and serene looking area!

Red said...

Nothing like a good tour with the kids. they see more than we do.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Lovely photos as usual. The rose hips were a treat for me to see as I've never seen them in nature. What fun having a zip line in the park. Looks like you all had a good time. I haven't gone apple picking yet, but soon.

Joanne Noragon said...

Our weather should hold for another week, then cold, cold, cold.

Marie Smith said...

Boud,

I have had such bad luck with biking, I’m sticking with walking for now. The zip line wasn’t for me. lol.

Marie

Marie Smith said...

Eggs in my Pocket,

I have never know people to decorate with Mountain Ash berries. Some Newfoundlanders make jelly with them. Others make wine. My family didn’t do either.

Marie

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

You can feel autumn in the air in your pictures. Those zip line sure look like fun!

Billie Jo said...

My goodness! Your photos are beautiful!!!! The sunflower one is amazing. Thank you for sharing the beauty in your world.

Debbie said...

several wonderful autumn days!! i always enjoyed when the kids got a "bonus" day off from school. my great nieces had one recently and we enjoyed time with them too!! i like the idea of soup on a picnic, we almost always have sandwiches!!

i did not grow a vegetable garden this year and i really missed it. hoping for more tomatoes next year!! your skies and clouds look like ours!!

Granny Sue said...

You live is such a beautiful place. Walks and picnics sound like the perfect occupation for these pretty fall days.

John's Island said...

Another delightful post. I especially love the way you’ve been taking a photo of the sunflower every day. It’s like something I would do being so fascinated with nature. How amazing is it … the one little seed the bird dropped into your flower bed has turned into that beautiful sunflower. The power of nature is amazing.

Tabor said...

Love those activities and glad you can do them. That lighthouse is beautiful.

baili said...

despite the autumn took over your views shine and show warmth dear Marie
so happy you could spend time with daughter and her kids ,it is always refreshing indeed
i hope your tomatoes grow better next year inshallah

beach is tranquil and sunflower is Majestic wow
love!

Vagabonde said...

What a lovely outing with your family and sunny weather. Your photos are full of sunshine.

Lorrie said...

Sunny autumn days are just wonderful. So glad you're enjoying the sunshine. Getting out with family is a great way to spend time.

William Kendall said...

I do like that lighthouse.

Lea said...

Great photos!
The beach scene with the gulls is my favorite!
Have a wonderful weekend!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Marie,
Beautiful photos. Spending time with the grandchildren is a joy.
Sounds like you have a great harvest of veggies. Pretty sunflower!
I love the beach scene and the lighthouse, looks like a gorgeous day.
Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

HWIT BLOGG said...

What a lovely post - full of JOY!
Titti

Breathtaking said...

Hello :=) your photos are full of joy. Spending time with grandchildren is always a pleasure, you can watch them growing up until they have their own agendas, like mine who are now in their thirties, but what happy memories we created. I love the photo of the seashore with the gulls, and lighthouse, the Sunflower picture, and the Mountain Ash with all those berries against the deep blue sky. What a wonderful day. I hope the good weather continues.

I was sorry to learn you also have some heath issues. I'm too old to use those kinds of apparatus now, in fact I have just sold most of them because I'm afraid of falling, but good luck with yours.
All the best
Sonjia.


Breathtaking said...

Hello Again. I made a mistake, that last paragraph was not meant for you, as you must have realised Sorry about that.
I hope you are in splendid health.:=)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What wonderful photos of your family. I’m glad that you’re finally able to see some sunshine after all of that gloom.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a wonderful day to have enjoyed an outing and picnic with family. The zip line did not look too intimidating especially for children. What a great use for used tires as your grandson looks like he was having a great leap.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

So many great memories are evoked by reading your blog, Marie. I hope you gave a resounding thank you to the Song Sparrow for the great gift of a Sunflower!

Rose said...

This was such an enjoyable read...I have never had rose hip jelly.