Most Popular Post

Sunday 3 September 2023

The last few days

It has finally stopped raining and my husband and I have begun our picnic excursions again with the fine weather and diminishing number of tourists around the island. We had two weeks of high temperatures and humidity this summer. Then we had rain every second or third day. It has been a wet summer.


I’ve had camera problems and finally purchased another camera though I was reluctant to buy one  which was heavier than my Nikon P900. I bought a Nikon P1000 and I am enjoying it immensely. Today I am sharing photos I’ve taken with the new camera the last several days when the weather has been lovely.


We’ve continued to walk the Summerside boardwalk daily and I took this shot of the lighthouse at low tide. 





The shorebirds continue to stop along the bay as they journey south for the winter. The Solitary Sandpiper hung out near the Lesser Yellowlegs in the salt marsh.





This young squirrel was eating seeds at the base of a feeder. 





The wall of wildflowers looked particularly lovely against the blue sea.





We took a picnic lunch one day which meant we could take our time along the French shore where we stopped at the church of Notre Dame du Mont Carmel, built in 1898. The church was open so we went inside. 





The marble pillars were particularly beautiful, standing the test of time. You could almost hear the prayers rising upward with them.


We continued along the shore to the beach nearby where some Ruddy Turnstones were feeding along the shoreline. 





Nearby, Ring-billed Gulls stood into the breeze. 





In the distance, you can see the Cape Egmont sea stack. We walked the beach and enjoyed the sun and the breeze.


There is a Lost and Found stand in the parking lot by the beach.





This was a unique find… so to speak!


Cape Egmont was the busiest we’d ever seen it with tourists from the United States and around Canada. However, the sea arch looks to have weakened to near collapse.





The Cormorants are oblivious and enjoy their perch high above their feeding grounds. 





Notre Dame du Mont Carmel stands out in the distance.





We had lunch at a nearby park and enjoyed a stroll around the area. Cabbage Whites are numerous and everywhere this year. 





They flit around the wildflowers, and stop briefly on a bloom.


I am enjoying the new camera and it is good to be having picnics around the island again.


40 comments:

DJan said...

I love seeing your beautiful environment, and your camera has captured it perfectly. Thank you for the wonderful commentary, Marie. I just read your previous post, which I missed somehow. It shook me to the core; you are right that we need to enjoy every moment, as we never know what the future holds for us.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Great crisp photos from your new camera! Love the little squirrel and the Acadian bench beside the Lost and Found!

Sandi said...

That church is amazing!

Beautiful photos of nature.

Boud said...

These are great pictures, particularly of the shorebirds. Their coloring often blends in so well with the surroundings that it takes u sharp resolution to catch them.

Maebeme said...

Wonderful photos! Love the little squirrel, and I've never seen so many cormorants in one place. The ruddy Turnstones are new to me - they are such a pretty bird.

Glad the weather has improved so you're able to enjoy your picnics again.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Beautiful collection of photos, I love the coastal views and all the birds.
The wall of flower and the church are beautiful. Great photos from your new camera. Have a great day and week ahead.

Black Knight said...

Great photos. As an old sailor I appreciate a lot and I have nostalgia of the lighthouses.
I miss the cormorants, we had a colony on the beach until last summer. Where are they gone?

photowannabe said...

Hello Marie, I have missed your blog entries. Welcome back with your new camera. How delightful, terrific photos.
I love the first one with all the different layers of interest.
Sure makes me want to visit and walk those shores.
All of your birds are wonderful too.
The church and those pillars..oh my, yes I do believe the prayers are rising there. Great perspective.
I hope that the Sea Stack will survive. It is so lovely .
A picnic sounds like the perfect way to spend the day.
Sue

Bill said...

Great photos from your new camera. The Cormorants look like they are enjoying their spot with two of them having a shout out. :) Nice sighting on the squirrel, great pic. Have a wonderful day, Marie.

Elephant's Child said...

You and your new camera look to be getting on really well.
Thank you so much for taking us with you.
I loved that church - and the church of nature.

Debbie said...

this post is just like your "good ole' days", a really nice one!! your pictures are awesome, i too need a new camera and always buy nikons!! i am happy for you that you got to have a picnic, i LOVE picnics and we only had a few this spring before it got too hot!!

it would be nice if the sea arch holds out, it looks unlikely...and a lost and found, odd spot i agree but maybe it really isn't!!

i will look for those migrating shorebirds, i hope they stop here!! i see cormorants year round, yours look very happy!!

Helen said...

It would seem that our visit to the island coincided with the best of the summer weather. Such a shame for you, after such a long winter. Hopefully, autumn will see you enjoying many more picnics under sunny skies.
I hope you will continue to be happy with your Nikon P1000. These photos are impressive. There seems to be a greater clarity in your shots, not that there was anything wrong with your previous ones.
I love the cormorants with their open beaks. The Notre Dame is beautiful. Such a huge building in its rural setting.

Red said...

It's nice to get out after some down weather. All the good stuff is still there . we just have to be able to see it.

The Furry Gnome said...

What a magnificent church!

Joanne Noragon said...

Lovely, sharp, clear, crisp pictures from the new camera. A good buy.

Danielle L Zecher said...

I'm so glad to see a post from you. I was worried about you after your post about witnessing the man getting CPR. I hope you're doing okay after that.

The pictures with your new camera are great! I especially love the squirrel and the wildflowers against the ocean. I never had much interest in visiting Canada until I found your blog, but your photos have made me add it to my list.

Anvilcloud said...

You are back in the groove. I hope you have many more weeks coming up.

MARY G said...

Now I have to go and look at the specs on that camera.
As usual, I love your photos. Especially the ones with a far horizon, this round.

margi said...

Great photos from your new camera! Well, the real artist is the one behind the camera. Have fun taking pictures!

The Padre said...

What A Camera There My Dear - Seasons Of Enjoyment - Stay Creative

Cheers

Granny Sue said...

I enjoyed the walk with you. The new camera seems to be doing a brilliant job! The church is gorgeous, such beautiful lines. Wish I could convince my husband to go on a picnic. He is never in the mood, it seems.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

First Teapot, now the Sea Arch. It will be a sad day when that collapses.
Love the photos with the new camera!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It's sad to contemplate. Marie, but I suspect that many of those iconic stacks will not withstand another fierce storm, but perhaps others will be created to take their place. Lost of pleasant scenes of nature in this post.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Beautiful, crisp photos. I love the squirrel and lovely landscape photos.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The baby squirrel melts the heart. Beautiful photos

baili said...

After removal of cold and dense cover of snow it must be a divine experience in to see how life bursts in numerous forms around you dear Marie: )
I really enjoyed each glimpse of summer. Birds are most favourite n water and blooms. Good to have new camera. Congrats my friend

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Congrats on your new camera. Your photos look crystal clear!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Wonderful photos! Enjoy your new camera. That sea arch is very interesting.

acorn hollow said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for taking us along one your picnic. We are having the hottest weather of the summer we live in central NH and had a very wet summer.
Cathy

Hena Tayeb said...

Must be nice to have the island back to yourself. Yay on your new camera.. you got some great pictures.

Catarina said...

I have enjoyed this outing. Very much.: )
You took great pics with the new camera.

Sherry's Pickings said...

fantastic shots marie. love all the birds and the cute squirrel.

Sherry's Pickings said...

must be a good camera :) THat church is so lovely!

William Kendall said...

The squirrel is a cutie pie.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Love the photo of the little squirrel. Have fun getting to know your new camera :) xx

peppylady (Dora) said...

What a big sanctuary.

Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Debbie said...

back for another visit (you always focus on something different) the wall of wildflowers is beautiful...the cabbage white as well!!!

Liz Hinds said...

What a great idea to have a Lost and Found spot. And that suqirrel is so lovely.

Barbara said...

Hi Marie. Just checking on you and hoping that Hurrican Lee does not settle over your Island.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Looks like your new Nikon camera is doing a great job in your hands. It's always exciting to get a new piece of equipment. Glad to read in a later post that Hurricane Lee bypassed your area.