Most Popular Post

Sunday 3 March 2024

The dance

When the cares of the world feel overwhelming I retreat to nature. There, for a few minutes during a walk, all is forgotten as the elements and the wildlife present their best to all who care to notice. 


Such was the case one day last month, on what looked like a spring day, the salt marsh held the imprints of a small flock of American Black Ducks which appeared to have danced there. 




Their ducky prints are easy to identify among the other animal footprints in the marsh. 


In the stream that day, a Red-breasted Merganser, was veiled behind branches as it dived for food. Usually only dabbling ducks swim there, so this diver was a welcome visitor.





The Black Ducks, common to the area and a visiting Mallard argued a lot that day. If one came too close to the other species, flight occurred. It was a busy stream that day.





A mallard took up residence recently along the stream. He is a handsome stand-out among the more familiar Black Ducks. His companion, a Black Duck, stayed close by, 





relaxed in the setting until multiple Blue Jays sent out an alert.





One day recently, people watched the ducks as a Bald Eagle swooped in on them. All escaped thanks to the early warning system of the jays.


The little birds deserve credit too. Various feeders along the boardwalk attract sparrows, juncos 



                   Dark-eyed Junco, back; Song Sparrow, middle; Tree Sparrow, front


and finches. I especially like these sightings, as the tiny birds present a real challenge to photograph as they flit about more quickly than the ducks.



                                                                         Goldfinch

I always spend time looking out to sea with its changing face which is determined by temperature, wind speed/direction and tide. My husband and I always wonder what the bay will be like on any particular day.


A frozen bay one day, with an off-shore wind, can become an open bay, as in the first photo.


On-shore wind will blow the ice into the bay again, and land and sea are one.





Sometimes the ocean’s surface freezes anew and one could imagine ice skating there.





Then, there’s the slushy ice surface on those days when the temperatures are above zero and it feels like spring.



     

The Red Squirrels deserve mention too. They are always out and about, waiting for a hand-out from walkers who often have peanuts for them. You never know when a squirrel will pop up somewhere.




The wonder of nature is itself like a dance where nature sets the tempo of the music and we are free to engage her.


I hope you enjoy the dance too.



39 comments:

Maebeme said...

A lovely series of photos and your words that augment the shots is poetic. You truly live in such a beautiful area of our country. Enjoy!

DJan said...

Yes, Marie, I really enjoyed seeing all the beautiful birds and other sights on our walk. Wonderful indeed. Thank you!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That last photo is adorable!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

All those footprints in the snow does make one wonder what was going on! I saw my first ever Black Ducks on your island several years ago. That drake mallard sure it beautiful against the white of the snow. Love you analogy of "the dance" it is perfect!

Anvilcloud said...

I know so little despite my longish life, but I now now that there are diving ducks and dabbling ducks.

aurora said...

Beautiful dance, of words and photos! Thanks for sharing your nature.

Debbie said...

this post reminded me of the song "i hope you dance" by leanne wormack, a really great song with amazing lyrics!! your pictures are really beautiful the first and second to last are my favorites. believe it or not, i have never thought about where squirrels go, or that they have "homes". i have never seen an image like the last one, which by the way is awesome!!

Red said...

Nice comparison of nature to a dance. The sea provides many changes for you.

photowannabe said...

Yes Marie, I am absolutely loving the DANCE. Life and the seasons really are a Dance.
That squirrel peaking his nose out the hole is fantastic., and the ice in the last photo is a beautiful wall hanger.
I call the tiny birds Flitters too. Love them but can't seem to capture them with my camera.
Enjoy your week
Sue

Helen said...

I have totally enjoyed this dance along the boardwalk with you Marie. i would not have been able to keep my feet still with all the winter beauty that abounds.

margi said...

So beautiful!

Chris said...

Amazing photos and the text was so poetic, lovely. Yesterday my husband and I saw a wren on our fence and we were so excited, first one here, the smallest British bird.

Lorrie said...

Such a lovely post highlighting the healing and restorative aspects of Nature, Marie. Your lyrical words add to the beauty of your photos. Thank you for this little glimpse of your world.

Billie Jo said...

What a magnificent post, my friend. Both in pictures and in words. You have a gift; I am glad you share it with us.

Joanne Noragon said...

That squirrel house looks like a previous bird house, door enlarged.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Marie,

I love the dance too, beautiful nature images.
Nature is good for the soul!
Beautiful captures of the ducks and song birds.
The squirrel is cute peeking out of the box.
Take care, have a great day!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Oh, my, what awesome photos. I love your nature pictures.

Happy Spring!

The Furry Gnome said...

The ducks dancing, that's a good image.

Pam said...

I find it amazing that Mother Nature protects the ducks from the cold with the feathers.

MARY G said...

Oh yes. We have just had a mother and teenaged daughter deer come in for their afternoon feed on our feeding rock. And we have goldfinches in quantity. I heard both robins and red-wing blackbirds this week, but have not been able to spot the former.
I do envy you your water world though. Ours is a treed world with few long views.

Granny Sue said...

Beautifully written, Marie.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

There is nothing quite like nature - nothing! And it’s there for all to enjoy, yet so few do. Here spring has arrived with many Turkey Vultures, Red-winged Blackbirds, American Robins and a few Killdeer. It will just keep getting better. Soon the woodlands will be carpeted with spring ephemerals too.

baili said...

you capture so beautifully the dancing steps of Nature dear Marie :)

the firs image has vigorous impact on sense !
one can feel the tranquility and coolness of the day :)
the dazzling surface of water looks captivating .
the ducks floating in water are always treat to see :) what a bliss to witness nature's glory everyday ,spring seems around the corner
indeed little birds are hard to capture but you succeed every time :)
the vibration of nature is noticed only by gentle and curious souls who seek connection with her
thanks for sharing

acorn hollow said...

Thank you for taking us on your walk. It is so beautiful there no matter the season. I agree sometimes the world seems to push down on us I lace up my sneakers and head out husband heads for his workshop. When we step outside right now there are sometimes flocks of sparrows I think migrating back for the summer. It is cold, rainy and not very scenic here today. So I will turn on some music while I clean a bit and maybe tuck myself away for some rug hooking.
Cathy

Liz Hinds said...

A beautiful dance, thank you. Most ducks we see are mallards. Very rarely see anything else.

Catarina said...

The pictures provided me with very pleasant meditation moments... but what I enjoyed the most was your prose.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely post
I feel like rushing out doors to hear the birds.

John's Island said...

Hi Marie, Another delightful post here. The Mallard and Black Duck images are just wonderful. Award winners for sure. The next-to-last image is really amazing when comparing it to similar areas you have shown us in warmer times of the year. Thanks for the dance and I hope you and yours have a fine weekend!
John

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Beautiful photos. Enjoying nature is a wonderful way to recharge the soul. I love the last photo with the little bird peeping out of a very creative bird house!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Marie, the images and your accompanying text were wonderful and we are really looking forward to our visit to PEI in late May. While, there may not be any snow or maybe there will be? I am sure the views will be just as spectacular. We have a lot of Mallard ducks on our river now, as well as Canada geese and Herring gulls.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

You have an amazing collection of nature photos. I don’t know which I like the best, whether the landscapes, the water, or the wildlife, but these bird pictures are really appealing to me today.

Lea said...

Beautiful birds! Cute squirrel photo, and I also enjoyed the views of the ocean!

Glenda Beall said...

More delightful photos. Thanks. Written with my one good arm/hand.

HWIT BLOGG said...

So beautiful photos! Wow!
Love from Titti

HWIT BLOGG said...

Lovely poem and a lovely walk in the morning...
Love from Titti

Ginnie Hart said...

Having just spent another week on our Texel island, Marie, off our Dutch north shore, I can totally understand why the charm of island life lives in your DNA, no matter the time of the year. For those of us who don't have access to these excursions you take so frequently, we need to see them through your eyes, so THANK YOU.

DUTA said...

Your photos, Marie, are a masterpiece of photography! They provide us with amazing sights of Nature's various elements in all their splendor. Thanks.

Chris said...

I find it very relaxing to watch the birds, today we had a Blue Tit, Robin and 2 Sparrows all on the same feeder, they hopped from the feeder to the trees, so busy!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I always love seeing your squirrel, bird, and duck pictures. It always makes me think of how both of my grandfathers loved to feed ducks and squirrels.

And I can't believe how much snow you still have!