Most Popular Post

Sunday 10 March 2024

The news around here

We had an awful week weather-wise and missed our walks in the great outdoors. Treadmill life doesn’t agree with me. The weather was mild though, including high winds and rain, taking the snow. Then, the temperatures dropped again and the snow came back.


Meanwhile, the ice in the harbour blew off-shore again, and when we could finally ventured forth, the bay was blue…for a day. 





Sunday morning, the on-shore wind overnight had blown ice back in the bay. It isn’t as thick now though so it may not survive temperatures above zero for very long.





Meanwhile, we have had our new vehicle for over two months now. In that time we have driven over 900 kilometres but haven’t used a tank of gas. The plug-in hybrid vehicle works well for us. 


This time of year, unless an emergency arises, we don’t venture far from home. We drive around town on errands, to the boardwalk or to our family in the neighbouring community. We can drive another 600 plus kilometres on the gas remaining in the tank. We started with a full tank when we brought the car home.


The vehicle is slow to charge due to the trickle charger we use at home, which can take 15 hours if the battery is fully discharged. However, we don’t see any difference to our electric bill. The electric battery is good for over 50 kilometres and when it is depleted while we are driving, it switches seamlessly to the gas engine. It charges without a sound as well. It is a different experience to drive a silent car. We know it is on by “Ready” on the screen. 


We have yet to try one of the charge-point stations on the island but a visit to Cavendish in the near future will give us an opportunity to try one. These high speed chargers won’t be in demand in the park this time of year.


This vehicle has far more features than I will ever use. I only use the radio and heater. When the weather is warm, I will open the windows rather than use air conditioning most of the time. I understand why cars today have all the “bells and whistles” but I suspect there would be a market for basic vehicles with reduced costs. Wouldn’t such vehicles be easier on the electric batteries too?


The infrastructure for charging vehicles on the island is limited. The same is true all over the country. In addition, the life of an electric rechargeable battery is limited and they are costly to replace. Charging takes time. If one could turn in a battery and drop in a new one at a charging station, it might be a solution. However, the batteries have their own environmental issues. Electric is not a perfect fix to the pollution of fossil fuels. Besides, could the electric grid supply enough electricity for a world of such vehicles?


While we are happy with our rechargeable hybrid, we can’t see a future with just electric vehicles. Is hydrogen the answer? I cannot imagine we will live to see the fix, whatever it is. Meanwhile, as with everything else in life, we endeavour to make the most of what is.


29 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, until there is a fully adequate public infrastructure to support electric/hybrid vehicles, I can't see them replacing gas vehicles yet. Good for you, though, to be forward-thinkers!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Marie - it is good to read that your plug in hybrid is working so well. Yes there are challenges and working things out with our infrastructure but hopefully in time all the bugs will get ironed out! Looks like you had a return to winter like we did. Spring is to be back again for us this week. Have a delightful day. Hugs!

Liz Hinds said...

I'm glad you're so happy with your car. It sounds like a pretty good compromise. Electric cars here are still very expensive plus it would make life difficult for us when we drive to Italy so we're still on petrol.

Hena Tayeb said...

So sorry to hear about the bad weather. Hope it clears about and you go on your walks again.

Anvilcloud said...

I suspect that a hybrid would usually work for us, but I doubt that we would want to absorb the extra purchase price for the amount of time that we will have left to justify it. But good for you for sure.

Debbie said...

i can't believe it has only been 2 months since you purchased the hybrid, it seems so much longer than that. i enjoyed reading your perspective on the experience of driving an electric car, i too wonder if the electric car is the answer and if the electric grid could supply enough electricity for a world of hybrids. and i too have heard the replacement batteries are very expensive. keep us posted as i am interested in this topic!!

The Furry Gnome said...

Like you, I see lots of issues with all-electric vehicles, but we won't live to see the solution. I enjoy seeing the ice blow in and out of the harbour here.

Lorrie said...

Glad to know that a hybrid vehicle works for you. When we need to replace our vehicle we'll be looking at one, too. The lack of infrastructure is concerning. I found it somewhat humorous to see 4 or 5 Tesla charging stations at L'Anse aux Meadows last summer. I wondered if they were ever used, and if there are charging stations along the road up there. Technology keeps changing and we change with it.

Red said...

You've taken the plunge in the electric car issue. You will be helping in developing better electric cars.

Joanne Noragon said...

I agree; at this point the future of all electric cars is not promising.

Pam said...

Oh, I travel way to much for a plug in, esp it takes a while to charge. Now I did like my Prius which was part hybrid and part gas....but no plugging it in.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I think the hybrid vehicles make more sense than an all electric vehicle.
I was wondering how the charging affected your electric bill. Hubby and I love to drive long distances and would be afraid to travel in all electric car.
Love the photos, beautiful views. Take care, have a great day!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I'm glad you're posting about your hybrid vehicle. I've been curious about how easy/hard it is to charge them and what it does to your electric bill. Nick's car will need to be replaced soon, and I'm not sure what we're going to end up getting.

And I think you're absolutely right about all of the features on cars. I don't use a lot of the ones that my car has (though I definitely use the air conditioner!).

DJan said...

If I could afford it, I'd buy a hybrid. But considering that my old manual transmission car works fine, I'll use it until I can no longer drive. I'm glad we have a good bus system here.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the update on your new vehicle, Marie, and it is nice to learn that you have been getting around on a single tankful of gas, which is quite a cost savings. Both our vehicles are gas models. My husband's is 4 years old and has so many "bells and whistles" which even he finds baffling. My car is a 2007 Jeep which I plan to continue using for the foreseeable future. It recently passed inspection and had some maintenance done so hopefully will keep going a few years more. I usually walk most places so it is parked far more than myself. Like yourself, I prefer outdoor walks to the treadmill, but on rainy and/or windy days, the indoor gym treadmill is a good alternative.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Thank you for sharing about the hybrid. Everything is so new that I know very little about it. I know I don't want an electric car- we need to drive to Florida and it would make it very difficult to need to stop for long periods to charge it.

Helen said...

The dramatic dance of your winter continues. The webcam showed it snowing when I went to bed last night. Now that snow is gone, as it is raining. I love seeing the changes in your harbour and as always amazed at how the ice can come and go so quickly.
It's wonderful that you are happy with your car choice.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I hope the weather will clear up soon and spring will come to your island.

Barwitzki said...

Congratulations on the new car...may it last a long time.
Make the best of what is... right. Well done. We have this life... now.
A hug for you.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Thank you for sharing you experiences with a hybrid car.
Prayers the weather for spring will be spectacular.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I'm with you... I think plug-in hybrid or hybird is the way to go. I'm hearing fully electric car sales are dropping and demand declines. Pretty cool you still have a full tank!!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Still looks cold. I have faith warmer days are coming.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I'm not ready to go hybrid yet, but I admire you for doing so.

Catarina said...

The weather has been so mild over here that it becomes worrisome.
A friend of mine has a car similar to yours and she is very pleased.
Good travels!

Rose said...

That ice looks so, so cold. I know it is supposed to get below freezing here for a day or two, but those days are getting fewer and fewer. Our hyacinths are blooming, as well as daffodils.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Air conditioning is one thing I really like in a car, opening the window is fine, but the noise gets to be a little much, and if you are in traffic the fumes are quite awful.

baili said...

weather is being quite dramatic all over the world dear Marie . our March is mild until now but air has been reduced .

i hope your weather allows you to take your lovely walks in the nature and share the more beauty of your area with us :)

it is interesting to read how your new electric car is helping you in travelling around . t is wise to stay close when weather can be a threat .

glad that your in plugged tank is working fine .
the concern you showed for such vehicles is common among people who has great interest in electric vehicle ,i see some shows in which such cars are shown to motivate people but they hardly mention what you said here .
i think i agree with you that electric battery hasn't been proving much powerful as compared to gas engine until now .but i also think inventors are considering this matter as well as there is no stopping point in advancement you know .let's see what future brings
blessings!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's a beautiful lighthouse! I'm certain I spotted a bald eagle while in Morro Bay recently. Quite a treat for me, since we don't have them where I live.

The Happy Whisk said...

Neato about the car. I have a friend who has one as well. Glad there's no difference in the electric bill. We got a used car for me last year and I love the heated seats. It gets so cold that I often use those seats. It'sa good point you bring up about car batteries. Sometimes, to me, we're trading one yucky thing for another. Charging stations, I've not seen one in our area, yet. Maybe someday. Right now I'd settle for road signs. Not all our roads have them, here.