Most Popular Post

Friday 8 June 2018

The fishing trip

Our intention was to go fishing. Well, our daughter and the two girls would fish, my husband, my mother-in-law, baby Owen and I would watch, chat and enjoy the time outside together. Of course I had my camera with me to document our time at this new-to-us fishing hole. 


Black Pond is close to home and a stone’s throw from Malpeque Bay, Prince Edward Island. The fishing spot along the bank is a few feet from the parking lot. We settled in quickly and baited hooks for the girls who competed for the first fish.




There was something at the end of the pond and I was eager to see what it was. Birds I hoped. When I checked with the camera, surprise! Dead wood! Of course birds would not have been visible from this distance.




Within ten minutes a huge bird flew directly overhead and down the pond. It had a white underbody and a huge fish in its talons. An eagle! I captured a poor photo but it gives the idea of the immensity of the fish and the bird which carried it.





It landed on the wood at the end of the pond. The photos which follow were taken via the digital zoom of my camera so they are not sharp. They do show the story of bald eagles having an early supper however.

The eagle sat on a stump, holding the sea bass beneath it with its talons. Periodically it raised its wings as to balance itself.





It picked at the the fish for several minutes then gave its best call, just audible from our location.





Within a few minutes another eagle appeared from south of the pond and landed on a stump near the first one.





It proceeded to eat the bass which the other eagle had caught and used its wings to balance as well.





It dropped the fish several times and had difficulty keeping its balance on the stump.





Then it decided to leave with the fish, possibly to go to the nest. However, first it had to challenge the other bird 





before it flew off with the remains of the bass.




The bird stayed for a short time, then flew to the same area as the previous eagle.


This was a once in a lifetime chance to watch the bald eagles in their element. It was quite a fishing trip though the humans didn’t catch any fish.



44 comments:

Cathy said...

Lucky lucky you Marie. Quite a catch!
Im glad to see you 'naming' your photos. There are some shady characters out there who'll steal anything if it wasn't tied down
Cathy

DJan said...

Wow, those are some amazing pictures, Marie. I love the eagle face-off the best, but they are all fascinating shots. :-)

Sandy said...

What wonderful pictures of a marvelous experiences. Watching nature is always a plus. Your fishing spot looks so peaceful and serene. Glad you had such a day.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Wow! What a fishing trip, even though you didn't do any fishing, you got to catch on film the eagle's fishing results!! Totally amazing!!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow! You were lucky to see that!

Joanne Noragon said...

How fascinating a sequence of photos. I wish I knew what in the bird world was going on! Its mate, I suppose.

Anvilcloud said...

What a great event for you to behold.

William Kendall said...

Wow on the eagles!

Celia said...

Amazing photos Marie and a great fishing story. I've never seen an eagle with its catch.

Rhodesia said...

What a great series of photos and how lucky to see all of this going on so closeby. Well done Diane

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh wow! What an experience Marie, talk about lucky timing! Considering there was food involved it remained fairly peaceful. Excellent series of shots, nice work!

Jenn said...

Wow!! Great photos, I am always in awe of bald eagles when I see them. I had to do a double take and turn around one day on the highway, a bald eagle was in the ditch perched on a huge dead moose. It was quite the scene.

Elephant's Child said...

Wow, wow and wow.
I suspect I would have been so busy watching I would have forgotten to take photos. Thank you for having more presence of mind. So much.

Catarina said...

That was amazing!
:)

Anonymous said...

Fascinating images and amazing that you captured them. Hope you have a nice Saturday.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I'd have been quite content to watch the eagles fishing. I've always found being outwitted by a fish to be a humbling experience.

Rick (Ratty) said...

That is really great stuff. I'd love to just have that first picture of the eagle flying in.

Marie Smith said...

I was fortunate to see this scene Cathy.

Marie Smith said...

I love that one too Jan. Wonder what it’s thinking as it is challenged like that.

Marie Smith said...

This pond was gorgeous. The only sound was the chatter of the family. We had a great time.

Marie Smith said...

Everyone had a great experience though our captures were different.

Marie Smith said...

It was a once in a lifetime capture Debra.

Marie Smith said...

We guessed a male went fishing, called its mate and she ate a bit. Then she insisted she take the rest for the youngsters at home. Who knows? It was great to see though Joanne.

Marie Smith said...

It was a priceless experience AC.

Marie Smith said...

I know! It was a wonderful sight William.

Marie Smith said...

Me either Celia. I’ll remember this one for sure. Just goes to show one should always have her camera.

Marie Smith said...

Diane it was amazing to see the two eagles as we did.

Marie Smith said...

Thanks PDP. It was hard to keep the camera steady when it was in digital zoom and I didn’t have a tripod. I rested it on my husband’s head as he sat in front of me. Otherwise I would not have gotten any clear photos. He makes a great tripod, among other good qualities!

Marie Smith said...

Those large birds are amazing to watch, aren’t they Jenn?

Marie Smith said...

I have learned to keep the camera handy EC. I always reach for it, first thing!

Marie Smith said...

It was Catarina.

Marie Smith said...

The eagles were incredible Mildred.

Marie Smith said...

They didn’t fish in the pond were we were, just ate there. The bass migrate inland through the rivers. I wonder if this one was picked out of the river.

Mage said...

Ah, but the camera operator did. :)

Marie Smith said...

That was the hardest one to take Ratty. It is a poor photo.

Marie Smith said...

Yes she did Mage.

Debbie said...

these images are just amazing to me, this is something i would love to see myself!!!

you are right, "a once in a lifetime", they are such regal birds!!

Tomoko said...

What a great survival. Very interesting sight I have never seen in person.

Marie Smith said...

Debbie, it was incredible to watch!

Marie Smith said...

I never expect to have to same opportunity again Tomoko. It was incredible.

Elephant's Child said...

I saw THIS POST this morning and thought you might like to see it.

Marie Smith said...

Wow. And not taken with digital zoom either! Fantastic. Thanks for sharing EC.

Barbara said...

Wow. I have never seen an eagle in nature. That fish was so large. He must have been very strong to fly with it. Very interesting.

Marie Smith said...

Thank you Barbara. It was a huge fish.