Most Popular Post

Tuesday 3 March 2020

Around the countryside

With my husband at the wheel, I was able to take in the countryside during our recent drive west of our home. Several items caught my eye along the way and the mid morning country roads in winter made it easy to stop, easier than it often is anyway.


This sign on a pole high above a scrap yard was an anomaly. 





This island province of Prince Edward doesn’t have moose unlike our home province, Newfoundland, where introduced moose thrived. In Newfoundland, moose and vehicular accidents are common and the reason we rarely drove on the highway at night. No such worry here so this sign reminds us of home. 


The owl statue on top of the pole is a deterrent to other birds but only works for a limited time. I didn’t notice the owl until I looked at the photo at home.


Overlooking a scrap yard, a tow truck has a jeep in tow. 





Both have seen better days and will spend the last of them here. A crow is along for this last ride.


I have never seen a two story gazebo. The view of the ocean must be spectacular from the top deck.




Most of us don’t keep one of these by the shed.





This old barn has seen better days. Farm equipment, animals, hay all may have had their time here. I wonder what is in there now?




The sound of the running water was a peaceful end to a winter drive.











27 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

That barn could be in an old,rural painting.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I didn't notice the owl statue either until you pointed it out.

Boud said...

Thanks for taking us along on your drive. I'm going to read it again.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

You always choose the most interesting things to photograph. I love the gazebo with a 2nd floor !

Rhodesia said...

Thanks for pointing out the owl statue, I also missed it! For many years I have said I would love a helicopter, it would have been so useful hopping around Africa, but as I have never even flown a plane it was not a very practical thought!! Cheers Diane

Liz Hinds said...

Sometimes alongside motorways here you will see a sign warning you to watch out for deer. Deer aren't actually a common species in most of the countryside and I do wonder how often they cause a problem to warrant a sign of their own.

DJan said...

I enjoyed this tour along with you. You live in a lovely place. :-)

Debbie said...

beautiful...it's always nice to be the passenger, easier for picture taking!! it is actually a beautiful barn and i was surprised that the waterfall was not frozen!!!

Tabor said...

You got some great storytelling photos. Helps your readers see your home.

Elephant's Child said...

I really, really enjoyed your drive. Thank you.
My bird obsessed self DID notice the owl - and the crow.

Barb said...

I've seen owls at the beach to scare away seagulls from houses. I wonder how long til they realize it's just a statue! THat gazebo is so pretty.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Gazebos apparently got their name from being places where one could go and "gaze about"
I love that second story - it would be a great place to view things from :)

Bill said...

I didn't noticed the owl either until I read your post. Nice find and great photos.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Lovely set of pictures. so many things of interest for those of us who carry a camera.

Angela said...

What a lovely drive! You spotted very interesting things! Love that owl on top of pole! Great photos!

William Kendall said...

I noticed the owl straight off.

The gazebo is quite a sight to see.

Rose said...

You could have fooled me with the owl! I thought it real till I read.

I LOVE that old barn...and I enjoyed all your shots.

Joanne Noragon said...

A pleasant drive.

Ginnie Hart said...

An unexpected owl, a crow, a two-story gazebo...these are the gifts of driving the backroads, Marie. You know how much I LOVE such drives because it's the "real" place, as I always tell Astrid.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I enjoyed the ride with you. The fake owls have fooled me before, they look so real from a distance. Great series! Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend ahead!

jenny_o said...

Beware of moose . . . walking the wires?? lol

Lovely variety of interesting things - thanks, Marie.

photowannabe said...

You live in such a beautiful area.
Great captures and I thought that owl was real.
Love the fancy gazebo and that farm with its own plane.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Sue

Barbara said...

That was such a nice drive. When I lived in the country in Louisiana we would always take Sunday drives. You see so many interesting sights when you are not in a hurry and take time to look.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I'm not surprised you didn't notice the owl way up there Marie, most unexpected 😉

The Happy Whisk said...

These were pretty good. I'd never seen a two-story gazebo either. Or a plane outside my shed. Fun stuff.

baili said...

lovely drive dear Marie
i enjoyed glimpse so much
i never saw a moose here so it is hard to imagine how they can make people suffer with their abrupt appearance

i loved this water so tranquil

Jenn said...

Some neat sights on your drive! We have a lot of moose here and I have had a couple close calls.