Most Popular Post

Tuesday 13 October 2020

A new ride on a changed trail

My new E-bike has arrived finally and I am enjoying the ride. My husband and I rode around our neighbourhood before we headed further afield. It took me some time to adjust to the pedal assist, throttle and gears. It is lots of fun however and the day it arrived I felt like a child at Christmas. 





Then we had high winds, up to 89 km/h, 55 mph, which ruled out cycling for several days. When we were able to ride again, we took to the Confederation Trail. One month ago, when we rode this particular section of the trail, the scene was different.


Remember this old fence and the horses? 





The horses are not in this field as the fence is destroyed, probably a casualty of the wind storm. It was sad to see the old fence this way.





This was the trail last month, 





the green walls reaching skyward as we enjoyed the setting. A month later, 





the green is replaced with autumn colour, predominantly red, as the maples reveal their Canadian identity. The sight makes us stop periodically to take in the fleeting beauty. 


Many of the fields are already harvested and have been replanted for winter to prevent soil erosion. This field was harvested last month 





and seeded with grass which has grown well. 





The sound of water along the trail is unusual and again we stop. 





Ice has started to form on the water, a reminder our days of cycling are numbered for this year. It’s gotten a lot colder this last week.





There is something calming to the spirit about cycling. Although the physical effort can be demanding, riding with the wind in your face, the sound of the birds and the occasional sighting, eyes on the trail ahead and the vegetation all around, are all exhilarating. The spirit absorbs the essence of the experience. You can call it the effect of endorphins, but I like to think the spirit recalls the experience and provides a sense of well being. I can’t wait to go again.








30 comments:

DJan said...

That bike looks wonderful. I know how much you will enjoy it in days and years to come. It's definitely mid-October, and the long days are over for the season, the nights getting ever longer as we move towards winter. :-)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Your then and now shots are lovely Marie, nature moves at its own pace, which can sometimes be pretty speedy 🍁 I like the sound and look of your ebikes very much, here's to many happy rides when the weather warms up again 💜

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Lovely scenes and beautiful fall colors. The trail shot with the colorful trees is lovely. It is sad about the fencing, I like seeing the horses. The gulls look like they enjoy flying around the tractors.
Your new bike is nice! Take care, have a happy day!

Rose said...

What fun you are going to have! I am sure going to enjoy your rides when you show us what you see. I love that big old barn today, and OH, the joy at riding o that trail! It is so beautiful lined with all that red.

Anvilcloud said...

You may not get to enjoy the new bike too much longer this year, but it will be there from the getgo come spring.

Linda said...

A lovely ride. Fall is in the air.

Martha said...

That's a shame about that old fence. I hope it can be repaired. I love seeing your comparison shots of the trail and the field. Such drastic changes and both are beautiful. So glad you are enjoying riding. Hope you are still able to get lots of rides in before winter sets in.

Boud said...

I used to love bicycle rides. I expect you'll keep on as long as you can. Is your winter a long one? I can see you itching to get out again in the spring.

Debbie said...

i could not be more excited for you, those autumn colors are gorgeous!!

you have to name your bike you know...it's a thing!!!

Secondary Roads said...

That's an interesting bike you have now. I'm sure you are looking forward to many years of happy rides on that beautiful bike.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Enjoy your new bike as much as you can before the snow flies!

Catarina said...

What a difference a month makes.

I like your new ride. Can I take it for a spin? :)

Elephant's Child said...

Oh wow.
Love your new bike - and am so grateful that you took us with you. Many, many thanks.

Barb said...

Your new bike looks very stable.I have friends who have them and love them. Enjoy your changing scenery!

William Kendall said...

A good looking new bike.

We've had frost in recent days.

Bill said...

A nice looking bike you have there. You'll get plenty of enjoyment from riding even if you have to wait until Spring but hopefully you'll get a few rides in before winter sets in.

Helen said...

I can't wait for you to go again either! Just love the autumn changes.
That bike was worth waiting for.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those never ending winds can do so much damage. I like the fall colors.Call me crazy, but i look forward to the first frost and then the first snow.

Joanne Noragon said...

That new E-bike is exciting, and so are the before and after pictures. Ice...grrr.

Red said...

I've felt the pleasure of lots of cycling. I did 47000km from 1984 to 2019. I miss cycling but better judgement said it was time to quit.

Mage said...

Some day.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I should think that the winds of PEI combined with winter gales and snow would result in cycling being an infrequent activity!

The Padre said...

Check Out That Beauty - What A Machine - And Just Look At All The Fun Because Of That New Bike - This Makes My Heart Very Happy - You're Right , Can Be Demanding - Free Your Mind And Your Bike Will Follow

Go Team Human,
Cheers

Rhodesia said...

Enjoy the E-bike, something I had never heard of until quite recently. I cycled for years but after a very bad fall in Spain a couple back I have only used my bike on the trainer. My husband has lost his balance to a degree that cycling is dangerous for him so he is also trainer bound. Keep well Diane

Margaret said...

I love the scenery, and that the e-bike will give you the opportunity to go further afield. I was shocked to see it was a Rad bike; it's a local (Seattle) company and my boyfriend owns two of their e-bikes, a Rover and a Mini.(which I usually ride) We are enjoying them very much! Going up hills is much easier with a little assist. I try to avoid using it as much as possible, but sometimes in our hilly terrain, it is a necessity.

Anita said...

Wow I love your new E Bike!But I dont dare riding on it heheheh

Is it safe??

Lovely photoes Maria!The farm looks great even the fence is broken

Sure you live in a beautiful place :)

I had to smile about the Bevers !Nature takes back!

Juvenal Nunes said...

É sempre bom poder realizar atividades, em pleno contato com a natureza.
Abraço.
Juvenal Nunes

baili said...

I am so loving your cycling experiences dear Marie
i am so glad you got new and better ,i bet ride is more comfortable and enjoyable now :)

Oh these trail transforming image is healing and captivating ,loved it seeing through your eyes ,your description for ride resembles with i have during my imaginative rides ,i agree this is spiritual experience fro one who lives by soul more than just a physique :)
i hope days suitable fro riding will return soon for you :)
blessing ,love and peace to you!

Tanza Erlambang said...

very nice bike...e-bike ....
Have a great day

Barbara said...

Nature really does give me a sense of well-being. I'm going to have to win one of the e-bikes so I can feel the wind too.