Most Popular Post

Thursday 15 April 2021

A different chorus

It was too cold to ride our bikes but we visited Cavendish Grove anyway, to see if it was open for this year and to walk there if it was. My husband and I love to picnic in the Grove, so we brought along our first picnic lunch of the year, one of many we hope. There is always a place one can stop for a picnic.


It was good to be back in the Grove again and as we parked, we could see our old friends, the geese, hanging out at the far side of the pond. 





Three geese couples nest in the Grove every spring and we’ve enjoyed watching them with their goslings over the years.





When we opened the car door however we were greeted by a chorus. At first we thought birds were calling from the trees, and loudly too. At the far side of the pond we listened and realized birds were not responsible for this noise. Frogs searching for mates made an amphibian chorus serenading all visitors. 


Peepers are high sopranos and are balanced by other frogs in the lower registers. Every now and then, a goose, sharing the pond, added a few notes as well. 




The vocal range in the choir was impressive. You can hear them here.


We had lunch on the red bench 





and listened to the unfamiliar song which many would find too loud. However we were amazed and when choristers in other areas of the pond started in, all we could do was laugh. Never had we been entertained quite like this before. It was an unique song of nature. Another short video here.


I managed a photo of some frogs, starting with wee ripples in the water, 





then eyes visible above the surface.





Nature so impressed us that day we are headed back to the Grove today with our grandson. It would be wonderful to hear the frogs again but if not, we will enjoy a walk and a picnic with our three year old. We are as excited as he is.


30 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A free choral concert just for you!

Catarina said...

You had a wonderful outing... and the way you were greeted made it even more enjoyable.

Helen said...

How absolutely wonderful to listen to this chorous on such a glorious day!
I see today is just as beautiful. I know you will enjoy your return even more, with your Grandson.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Quite a chorus! Great to be able to get out and about.

Martha said...

Love it! I do hope the frogs will be there to perform when you take your grandson.

Shammickite said...

Those frogs can be really noisy. There's a pond near where I live, and lots of frogs, but I have not heard them yet.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Ohhhh I would have so enjoyed that!!!! Love their songs, if one can call them that. Whatever, they are delightful.

πŸ’›πŸŒΌπŸŒ»πŸŒΌπŸ’›

Bill said...

Glad you got to enjoy all the sounds that made up the special concert. A great way to start off a new season of picnic concerts.

Ruth Hiebert said...

THose singing spring frogs can make a lot of noise. To me it is a welcome sound, because it means that spring is here.

Elephant's Child said...

That looks, and sounds like a wonderful day. Your own and personal concert.

The Furry Gnome said...

I love the sound of the frogs in spring.

DJan said...

Now that sounds like a wonderful chorus, all right. :-)

Joanne Noragon said...

Everyone at supper one night was complaining of the tree frog chorus the previous night. It seemed to have bothered everyone, except me. "I take out my hearing aids to go to bed."

William Kendall said...

A wonderful spot to spend time in.

The Padre said...

Outstanding - Good For You And Hubby - Keep Walking - Keep Sharing - Big Hugs

Cheers

Rose said...

I so loved your videos...I just love the sounds of spring. I have been so aggravated at myself for not recording the ones here when I was out. I subscribed to your channel till I won't miss anything.

Tanza Erlambang said...

hope, chorus means a good summer coming soon....

Nice photos.... great shots of frogs and geese

eileeninmd said...

YAY for picnics! I love the cute red bench and the views of the water. The frogs sounds are wonderful. I hope you grandson gets to hear them too. Have a great day and a happy weekend!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Loved the videos Marie, oh my gosh what an incredible serenade, fabulous πŸ’œ

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A picnic lunch always tastes so much better than the same food consumed indoors and to have nature's choir serenade you too is a real bonus.

baili said...

how amazing you could enjoy picnic on your favorite spot dear Marie :)

place is beautiful indeed ,this is astonishing how spring rip off the white cover of snow and rediscover the vibrant and colorful life beneath it :)

i hope the visit with your grandson will be even happier :)

Retired Knitter said...

What a wonderful post. I loved the sounds.

Celia said...

Delightful bird music. Thank you so much Marie.

Mage said...

Flat out delightful.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Wow, Marie. I am so impressed .. not only did we have your wonderful words and pictures but actually 2 videos !! I closed my eyes and made believe that I was with you. fun ...

At Home In New Zealand said...

Nothing can beat the beauty of the sounds of nature. We seldom see frogs here anymore, so hearing them is quite a treat :)

Susie of Arabia said...

That red bench looks like a great place to take it all in - the geese, the frog, the beauty of nature.

Debbie said...

oooooh i enjoyed the serenade, and your excitement of retiring to the grove. today will be even better with the little guys!!

the red bench or that red picnic table will be perfect for today!!

Rhodesia said...

What a wonderful outing. I remember camping at a place in South Africa many years ago where we were kept awake all night by the frog chorus!!
I hope all is well there and the Canadian lockdown is not creeping closer to you. We are still not allowed to travel more than 10 kms!. Keep safe Diane

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Great spot for picnics! The frogs are funny the way they can sound like ducks.