Most Popular Post

Sunday 11 December 2022

By the sea

It sits at the mouth of the Westmoreland River in the south central area of Prince Edward Island. Victoria by the Sea is a working fishing village and popular tourist area which is quiet this time of year when visitors are back home and fishing season is over.


We visited Victoria recently on a lovely 4 Celsius day, when the sun was intermittent and the wind was calm. The latter is unusual this past month when wind gusts have made most outside activity difficult. My husband and I decided to make the most of this rare weather day.


The wharf in the village is home to two restaurants which are closed in the off-season.





However it is busy around them during the fishing season as the boat launch is nearby.





Colourful fishing shacks would brighten any scene. Boats are refuelled near the wharf and the catch is unloaded via hoists.





On the wharf itself two floating docks have found a home for the winter.





Ice would destroy anything left in the water over the next several months. The mussels attached to the docks are high and dry. 





Not far from the water, one of the local boats is grounded for the winter too. Others have been taken farther afield.





The lighthouse has a museum which is open during the tourist season. 





Beautiful historic homes line the streets.





Near the water now, a park, behind revetments, 





replaces an old retaining wall destroyed over time by the wave action. The photo below, taken in 2017, shows the area at low tide. 


 



Notice the headland on the right. Now there is a new home in that area. 





I wonder what it is like in that house during winter storms or tropical depressions?


We hope to return to this charming village during the winter freeze-up.











31 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

There's always something picturesque about fishing villages and harbours - to a land-lubber like me anyway.

DJan said...

It is indeed a very pretty little village. I look forward to seeing it when it all freezes. Thank you for the lovely view of your environs. :-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Looks like a lovely little spot!

Debbie said...

beautiful images of the lovely place you call home. i like the colorful fishing shacks!! i always enjoy seeing the lighthouse!!

Bill said...

Thanks for the lovely tour, Marie. Love those coloured shacks, they brighten the gray days.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good to see picture of the off season. The mussels are a surprised they weren't harvested. Is it due to where they grow? The house built in such a place might have nice views, but I can't see it as environmentally good.

Anvilcloud said...

it should look more picturesque with snow on your next visit. We have some snow now. There is a good probability that we will have white until March now. I say that not having looked at the forecast. I suppose we could have a heat wave tomorrow.

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that you could get out - and shared that outing with us.
That new home on the headland would have some amazing (and sometimes frightening) views.

Marie Smith said...

SPS,

Those mussels are tiny. People pick mussels along the shoreline so I don’t think it is their location as much as their size. Just a guess though!

Marie

Maebeme said...

I do love the colors of fishing shacks. The house with the widow's walk is gorgeous too.
What a beautiful area. I'm glad you had decent weather for your visit.

Anita said...

Soory I think i did a mistake here with the spelling-what I ment it is a beautiful peacful place.Amazed by the lighthose fascinating and all the mussels*

David M. Gascoigne, said...

That house is so isolated and exposed. It would have little appeal for me, and as you say is exposed to the full impact of the winds - and we know how destructive that can be.

William Kendall said...

That lighthouse shot is my favourite.

Helen said...

Victoria is such a charming village and we visit it more than once when we are on the island. So lovely to see it through your eyes at this time of year.

margi said...

The village is charming! A beautiful place for walking!

Red said...

Nice tour through this beautiful area. we have to learn to work with the weather.

Joanne Noragon said...

A beautiful village. Looking forward to a return trip.

The Happy Whisk said...

Wow, wow on the muscles and I LOVE the shacks. OMG. So fun.

At Home In New Zealand said...

What a beautifully scenic place to visit. I love the colours and quaintness of the buildings, but don't think I would fancy living in that house isolated and all alone on a windswept headland!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Oh how we miss the mussels from your island!

Rhodesia said...

I presume those mussels come to life again when the tide is in. Are you allowed to collect any? Happy Christmas, Diane

Marie Smith said...

Diane,

Those mussels are tiny and will have been out of the water for five months or so. I don’t think anyone will be eating them. I will ask some people who will know more however.

Marie

Pam said...

Brr, that water just looks cold to me, course that is prob cause its that time of year. LOL....Thats a lot of muscles.

DUTA said...

The colorful fishing shacks, the beautiful houses near the river, and the park behind the revetments, definitely show the fishing village Victoria, in a charming light.

e said...

A colorful place...and though I might not be able to get into historical buildings, I would enjoy that park. Thanks for the wonderful photos.

e said...

I would enjoy that park!

MARY G said...

So many lovely photos - as usual. You are always a treat to visit. I do not know how I feel about that solitary house out there. There was serenity before; now it just looks misplaced.

Sherry's Pickings said...

Love these buildings but brrrrr 4C! We complain here if it drops below 20C :=)

Barwitzki said...

The house on the headland fulfills the desire for mysticism... but the small, colorful fisherman's huts are probably more inviting in their community... thanks for your beautiful photos. It's like dreaming a little bit about vacation and holidays... many happy greetings to you.
Thank you.

Taylor said...

The harbor and the lighthouse, my favorites

Glenda Beall said...

I read your post and breathe in the photos and long to travel again. It has been many years since I was in Nova Scotia, but I still remember the feeling I had there and how much I felt I wanted to live in that area. I was there in summer, however, and did not experience the short days. That might not intrigue me as much as the pretty weather we had in the early fall. Thanks for taking me with you on this tour of the village.