Most Popular Post

Sunday 29 October 2023

Autumn glory

The Dunk River has one of the most beautiful trails on Prince Edward Island. This trail which we visited last spring was on our list for an autumn visit. It was overcast when we arrived at the river but that didn’t matter as we headed out.


The Dunk is a popular fishing river and someone had an earlier start than we did that morning.





While my husband and I aren’t fishing enthusiasts, it is easy to understand some of the reasons people enjoy fishing in such a location. I love how the trail is full of the river sound and while one can usually see the river, in the minutes when it is not visible, its essence still is.





We were slow to walk the trail, stopping often to take photos. The leaves were in various stages of colour and glimpses of their beauty gave us pause. 





The senses come alive in such a setting, a heightened awareness of all as one’s brain attempts to take in everything. At every turn, the scenes were more lovely. From a multi-coloured veil of leaves at eye level





to drama overhead, there was much to absorb. Then the sun came out.




Shafts of light filtered through the trees and highlighted some of the beauty. 





Some light even managed to reach the river. The trees screened the sun in some areas and the water reflected the colours above.




Each new scene was more perfect than the last. 





We saw mushrooms feeding on fallen trees 





and a maple tree with a branch of red leaves and the remainder still green.





For lunch we went back the way we came and drove to Scales Pond on the opposite side of the road. There, a familiar picnic table sat among the trees where a veil of leaves screened the pond below. 





We had homemade chilli for lunch which we quite enjoyed. 


While we ate, a visitor stopped by, looking like it was securing material for its drey in a nearby tree. 





Chickadees sang among the trees as they flitted about oblivious to the visitors at the table.


After lunch, we walked the path along the pond. On the water, a tree dragon stood above the surface of the water, 





while a Great Blue Heron, invisible along the bank, took flight as we approached.





Across the pond, the hay, cut and baled, waited for delivery to the farm. This scene alone is one of my favourites in a day of many.




Finally today, meet Daisy, our new golden grand-dog, just 10 weeks old. Our daughter’s family is enjoying life with Daisy and we are lucky enough to share the joy of a puppy. Daisy is adorable and you’ll be seeing more of her for sure.






42 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Lucy Maude Montgomery said, “I am glad to live in a world where there are Octobers.” She was so right!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Those last two photos are my favorite as well! The is something about round bale's in a green hayfield that just stir the senses. And Daisy, she is just beyond adorable!

Anvilcloud said...

As usual, you meld the photos and descriptions so wonderfully. You captured some very nice 'water' photos, especially with reflections.

Debbie said...

you are surrounded with beauty this fall, it's like getting one big hug from mother nature!!

daisy is adorable, i'm glad we will be seeing more of her!!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh welcome, Daisy! Jealous? me?
Magnificent dragon and those maple leaves are especially spectacular.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A very serene and picturesque spot -- and you took some really beautiful photos of it!

Billie Jo said...

My goodness! The colors of your world are stunning this time of year. Thank you for sharing. And congrats on that precious new grandpup! Puppies are a joy!

Maebeme said...

The autumn colors are so beautiful. I didn't realize how late fall came in your part of our country. The leaves are gone here except for a few persistent ones clinging to their branches and the snow is covering rooftops and lawns.

Daisy is adorable! I'm sure she brings a lot of joy and fun.

John's Island said...

Hello Marie, Autumn glory is a wonderful post. You did an excellent job of showing us why the Dunk River has one of the most beautiful trails on PEI. As I looked through this post, I stopped on each image to take in the scene … your photography is so great it is almost as if though I am walking along with you. There is no way I can pick a favorite here, they are all so good. I’ve got to mention the maple tree with red and green leaves … wow! The squirrel has me smiling. It reminded me of my curiosity about squirrels … do you think they actually remember where they stored all they found? 😊 Love the Great Blue Heron in flight. Excellent capture! Lastly, Daisy … my oh my … what a sweet puppy! Thank you, as always, for sharing your blog. Happy week ahead to you and yours. John

The Padre said...

Absolutely Remarkable Photos Here - You Are So Talented - And Daisy Is So Adorable

Stay Groovy,
Cheers

Celia said...

Such a beatiful trail, and accompanied by river music. Thanks for sharing.

Hena Tayeb said...

What a lovely time.. you got some beautiful photos.

photowannabe said...

Oh Marie, these are so lovely. Your descriptions are lyrical. I especially like the sun kissed river reflections.
The sentence "We saw mushrooms feeding on fallen trees" made me pause..what a delightful description..so perfect.
And Welcome Daisy!! Too cute for words...
Oh yes I LOVE the tree dragon.
Sue

margi said...

Amazing autumn scenes! The reflection in the water is perfect. Thank you for sharing. Daisy is simply cute is lovely!

The Furry Gnome said...

Take good care of Daisy!

Red said...

Very scenic area. Good that you get out and see these areas.

Joanne Noragon said...

This day was so beautiful.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The river path is stunning. You even captured a person fishing is great. Daisy is adorable!
I'm glad the weather and sunshine were out for y'all to get out and about.

JudithK said...

Thank you for the photos and the word "drey."

MARY G said...

Love the last river shot. And, the puppy? Looks amazingly like my daughter's doodle, who had a wonderful personality and was the easiest dog I ever had to look after. Hope yours is as alike in behaviour as in beauty.

Helen said...

An absolutely glorious visit to Dunk River. I followed in each and every footstep and was thrilled by each turn in the river, view of birds,squirrel, mushroom,s and hay bale.
Definitely warmed by that delicious soup.
And today I believe you have had your first snowfall. So glad you were still able to take this walk in all its autumn beauty.
Photo 7 should be framed.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Love the images from your walk, beautiful scenery and lovely Autumn colors.
The new puppy is adorable, I had a Golden named Daisy too. Take care, have a great day!

DJan said...

What a wonderful trip you had, and all the pictures brought it alive for me as well. Thank you for taking all those gorgeous shots. Have a great day, dear friend!

Tabor said...

Such a lovely, lovely river. So glad it is not overpopulated with humans! Grand dogs are the best...just like grand kids.

Authors with Advice said...

Beautiful river. Wonderful trip too.

J. S. Vila said...

I think that is very special and good, to live near these green and natural áreas. Specially is wonderful to live near a beautiful river like this.

Catarina said...

What can I say?!!! These pictures are stunning! I wish I could stroll there, enjoy that paradise on earth. : )

Black Knight said...

Welcome Daisy! Daisy was the name of my grandpa's dog when I was born long time ago.
Wonderful pictures of an amazing place.
I also don't love fishing for 2 reasons: I don't like seafood and I love animals.

Debbie said...

second visit...the way you present your words, so beautiful!!

Romance Reader said...

Beautiful colors. I liked looking at all the amazing photos.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

You got some great shots and I especially love the look of the gushing river and all the fall scenes. My favorite is the puppy in the red wagon! adorable

Rick (Ratty) said...

It's been a while since I've seen nature like this. It still brings a relaxed feeling even seeing it in pictures.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Wonder where the river name Dunk came from. I had red wagon like that, and what cute puppy.
Coffee is on

baili said...

This was magical tour indeed which lasts in memory forever ❤❤❤
Thanks for sharing my friend.
Each view is glorious and awesomely captured ❤
With your poetic description I enjoyed each step

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I would be very tempted to fish that beautiful river. Gorgeous fall color. Daisy is absolutely adorable!

Cloudia said...

How very lovely! Thank you for bringing us along with you. Aloha!

Lea said...

Beautiful Autumn scenery! It is my favorite time of the year.
Adorable puppy!
Thanks for your comment on my blog.

DUTA said...

Amazing autumn scenes!
The colors of the leaves, the light through the tree branches, the waters, the birds..combine together to turn your tour into magic.
Hi Daisy dear. Nice to meet you!

acorn hollow said...

What a lovely walk you had that river is just wonderful!! I love the smell and sounds of fall also
congrats to your daughter's family that is one cute dog
Cathy

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, Marie, for sharing the photos of a wonderfully colorful autumn day and walk. =Sunless days are good for photographing in many ways, but when the sun comes through on a leaf-strewn path the result is magical. I suspect we have missed much of the foliage colors in our nearby park since we were traveling for over 2 weeks. Daisy is certainly a very photogenic puppy and will surely be a great photo subject.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This is my favorite time of the year, and the beautiful color is one of the reasons why. I could almost hear the river flowing.

Barbara said...

Daisy is soooo cute. Look forward to more pics. The nature trails and river are just gorgeous. I feel invigorated yet calm when I'm in beautiful nature like that.