Most Popular Post

Monday 6 November 2023

Just beachy

One of our last picnic outings for this fall was to the beach at Brander’s Pond on the central north shore of Prince Edward Island. It was a rare day, not a breeze in the autumn air though the sky was overcast. The area is home to cottages which are mostly empty this time of year, closed after more than two seasons of beach living for those lucky enough to have a cottage there.


Brander’s Pond flows into the Gulf of St Lawrence 




but part of its attraction for me is the sea stack on the eastern side of the beach. 





This beach, maintained by the cottagers, is pristine. As usual, various species of gulls hang out at the mouth of the stream. As my husband and I approached the stream, the gulls took flight briefly and moved farther away,




though not without expressing their displeasure.





We walked the beach slowly, taking in as much of the day and the setting as possible. The rhythm of the sea is comforting and as I walked I wondered how many other such days were left this season. However, those thoughts soon disappeared to the joy of this present.


In the water, Red-throated Loons enjoyed a day on the water.





Nearby, a flock of Red-breasted Mergansers dived for brunch. 




 By the turn-around, I watched a young Herring Gull catch and slowly eat a crab.





At this point, the sun broke through after previous attempts had failed.





On the way back, I watched a small flock on Sanderlings which are among the last shorebirds to stop by the island on their migration south. The little birds fed along the shoreline and stopped to stand on one leg periodically. 





By the time we were back down the beach, the moody sky was replaced by blue and the late October sun provided some warmth. It was a perfect beach day!







34 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

The gulls are fun to watch. One has to wonder how a large flock can be so synchronized as they fly. If I was in that flock, I would be constantly running into one of my companions!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Wonderful photographs of the coast. I must make a trip to the seaside again very soon.

Anvilcloud said...

You took your time to enjoy the unfolding of the hours.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wild and beautiful!

MARY G said...

Anvilcloud would probably add some. Your first shot is a classic; very peaceful. But I love the gulls flying past the stack. Nice capture.

Bill said...

Beautiful photos of the birds and the coast.

Liz Hinds said...

I can see the attraction of the sea stack. And that gull eating a crab? Amazing!

Elephant's Child said...

What a beautiful place and outing. Thank you for taking us along.

margi said...

Amazing photographs! Thank you for sharing these beautiful moments.

Barwitzki said...

Super :-)))
What an incredible area... thank you for the wonderful photos... the enjoyment - it was a great pleasure for me to look at them.
I wish you a nice week, Viola.

photowannabe said...

I agree that your walk on the beach was Pure Perfection.
The photo of the Sea Stack and the gulls in flight is a true prize winner...wonderful...
I also like the sun kissed waves as your day brightened.
Sue

The Furry Gnome said...

You obviously get great pleasure from living by the sea!

Red said...

You take those beach days when they come as there might not be many more.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

All of the photos are wonderful, but the photo of the gulls in flight in front of the rock formation is amazing!

Lorrie said...

I love the photo of the pond winding its way to the sea. Such lovely curving lines.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful pictures, all the seagulls in flight has magic.
I don't know how they manage to eat a live crab like that.

John's Island said...

“It was a perfect beach day!” And you, Marie, did a perfect job of documenting it for those of us who admire Prince Edward Island. Images #1 and #8 … I feel like I’m there! The sea stacks are fascinating. Love the various birds and the way you captured their behavior. John

Marie Smith said...

Sherry at Sherry’s Pickings wrote

“such gorgeous scenery. loved that gull with the crab!”

You can find her at http://sherryspickings.blogspot.com.au/

I don’t know why I couldn’t post Sherry’s comment in Blogger as I normally do.

DJan said...

You take such great photos. I especially love that third one.

Debbie said...

beautiful captures of the beach, the seagulls in flight was the bomb!! and great timing on their lunch at the beach, i enjoy crab for lunch too!! i see loons and red breasted mergansers too, for me the are winter birds!!

Celia said...

Fabulous place for a walk. Thank you for taking us along. Such beauty.

Food Blogger said...

Awesome photos. Love this post.

Helen said...

Such a very special outing, on a perfect day. I totally love the image of the birds in flight against the sea stack.

Maebeme said...

Incredible photos! I love the one with the sunshine lighting up the water. The rock standing alone reminds me of our visit to Hopewell Rocks in New Brunswick.

It's snowing here so I'm incredibly envious of your weather.

contempladoraocidental.blogspot.com said...

Your last beach day this season and how lovely it was after all!

Granny Sue said...

What beautiful photos! No wonder you love that seasick, but the other photos capture the feel of the season so well. Amazing.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Marie :=)
Prince Edward Island is a lovely place, and your first photo drew me in, so as I felt I was really there. What a splendid beach day you had, and I loved all the shorebirds and the amazing sea stack. Great long shots of the beach, and the seagulls.
All the best
Sonjia.

peppylady (Dora) said...

If forgot there was a gulf of Saint Lawrence.
Coffee is on.

Shammickite said...

I have enjoyed this little walk along the beach. I wish it could be in person! Although I have been lucky this year, I have seen the ocean twice, once in S.C. Myrtle Beach, and once in Halifax. I miss the sea.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful views of the beach! I love all the birds, the gulls, loons and the mergansers. Great collection of photos. Take care, have a great weekend!

DUTA said...

Nature doesn't disappoint. The first picture is breathtaking!
The actions of the birds attract attention: the flight of the gulls on your approach, the dive of the Mergansers, the Herring Gull eating a crab., the standing on one leg of the Sanderlings. Never a dull moment!

baili said...

Awe!
I wonder what beach might look like if birds would not lace it gloriously: )))
Each shot brings joy to soul

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What a lovely season ending outing, captured beautifully in pictures.

William Kendall said...

Looks like a moody kind of day.