Most Popular Post

Friday 27 January 2017

To the Point

The sky was low, gray and heavy, the kind of day when it feels like the ceiling is just above your head. It was -1C with a breeze making it colder as we parked the car and walked the old dirt road to MacCallum's Point. The area is in Lower Bedeque, across the harbour from Summerside, Prince Edward Island. It was quiet except for the sound of snow under our boots and the clicks of our cameras as we walked along. 

 

At road level, we couldn't feel the wind, thanks to the protection of the trees.

I have come to appreciate the wonder of deciduous trees in the winter. The bare branches reach to the sky 

 

and all the branchlets, covered with leaves in the summer, are visible this time of year in all their intricate glory. 

Overhead, a hawk circles and floats on the breeze. Further on, an owl crosses the road numerous times in pursuit of food. The birds are busy hunting.

 

The snow shows rabbit activity, with footprints in and out of the trees on either side of the road. No wonder the birds are so busy. 

 
 
However, raccoons are busy in this area as well. Fox tracks are common too. Predators like this area.

MacCallum's Point opens before us, red cliffs of sandstone on the edge of the ice-covered shoreline. 

 

Here, the full force of the wind hits us as we leave the shelter of the trees. 

 

Bedeque Bay and Northumberland Strait beyond have open water in spite of the bitter cold.

 

As we take pictures our hands become numb! Our visit is a short one. 

On the way back, the shelter of the woods is welcome as mitts warm frozen fingers. Looking off into the woods, Robert Frost comes to mind,

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
  But I have promises to keep,"

 

after a cup of hot chocolate.
 


32 comments:

DJan said...

So beautiful in winter, as well as every other season. I'm so glad to be able to visit you without actually going to PEI. Although I am now wanting to, someday. :-)

Tabor said...

Lovely Our snow went so fast. I almost miss it.

The Happy Whisk said...

I absolutely love branches and trees, winter, spring, summer and autumn. All so pretty. Great photos here. Thanks for sharing. Happy Weekend and boogie boogie.

Anonymous said...

Wow...cold!....but exuberant! Andrea

ann @ studiohyde said...

This all looks so absolutely beautiful. What a lovely walk through the trees and out to the sea. Thanks so much for sharing, I've enjoyed my virtual walk.

Mage said...

What a flat out lovely photo-poem this is.

Celia said...

What wonderful scenery. Your writing is so good I could hear the scrunch of your feet on the snow. Thanks.

HWIT BLOGG said...

Just amazing (and a bit cold!) pictures...so much snow!
Have a great weekend, take care.
Titti

Elephant's Child said...

Sublime.
I am so happy to hear that someone else appreciates the tracery of bare branches against the sky. Such an elegant filigree...

Marie Smith said...

We could have coffee and chat, Jan.

Marie Smith said...

We haven't had much yet this year, Tabor. There's lots of time yet though.

Marie Smith said...

Trees are so under-rated, HW.

Marie Smith said...

You know you're alive out there, Andrea!

Marie Smith said...

I am looking forward to a visit there in the spring, Ann.

Marie Smith said...

Thank you, Mage.

Marie Smith said...

Thank you, Celia. It is a beautiful place.

Marie Smith said...

Thanks for visiting, Titti.

Marie Smith said...

I agree, EC. I notice all the bare trees these days.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Such a beautiful area for a walk, I'd have my animal tracking ID book with me if I were to join you. I hope your mug of hot chocolate warmed up your cold hands.

Marie Smith said...

I really did, Judith. Wish you could join me.

Tomoko said...

I enjoyed to read your scenery. I feel like I am reading a long poem,and can imagine the stillness in your walk. How sweet to know animals are busy even in the snow.

Marie Smith said...

It was amazing to see the animal activity there, Tomoko.

Anvilcloud said...

It looks a it bleak in the photos, but I know that walking in the woods in winter can be quite wonderful.

Anonymous said...

A winter walk and a cup of hot chocolate. How delicious.

Marie Smith said...

The light was muted and the evergreens almost looked black. It was peaceful though, AC.

Marie Smith said...

It really was, SS.

Rick (Ratty) said...

These are beautiful winter scenes. I like exploring in the snow.

Marie Smith said...

It is fun, Ratty, especially with the animal tracks all around.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a lovely walk. I could just feel the wind as you spoke of it, and know what you mean about the trees! We love walking in the forest too. How nice that the road was plowed. We walked today through knee+ deep snow, and it was exhausting. We love getting out to explore just like you do. Enjoyed seeing the different footprints in the snow too! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Trees are my favorite part of nature. Hands down. And the rustling of leaves is my calming sound. When I hear them moving about above me, my shoulders automatically relax. So cool.

Marie Smith said...

The winter weather is a challenge but worth it, SUI.

Marie Smith said...

Trees help relax the spirit, HW.