Most Popular Post

Monday 30 January 2017

Winter light

Seasonal affective disorder, SAD, is a yearly visitor at my house. I miss the light this time of year and want to retreat from social occasions. I lack enthusiasm and energy for regular events, could stay inside for weeks and never feel the desire to venture out. But, in spite of myself, I have embraced the outdoors this winter.

On a gray January day, light has a quality of twilight which has always been my favourite time of day. However, it feels wrong all day long. This winter though, I have spent more time outdoors than in recent years and appreciate winter light.

The quality of the light, depends on the cloud cover, or lack of it.

 

The light reflects off the whites of the environment, the snow and the ice on the harbour. 

 

With massive blue-gray clouds, reflected light creates magic.

 

Further down the boardwalk on this day, the young man who owned this smelt shack, had to dig his shack out of the ice. The quality of the light was unusual, but beautiful, for the mid morning hour.

 
 
We are six weeks from the time change which heralds the approach of spring. The vernal equinox is less than two months away. While we can have a great deal of winter in that time, I can see an end to SAD and a return to the fullness of life outdoors. Meanwhile, I'll appreciate that winter light in spite of myself.

20 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm sad, but not because of light or lack thereof. I'm sad because I've got a terrible cold! Yuck.

Tomoko said...

Such a quite different winter scenery from ours here. I have been longing to see snow here for three years.
I wish I could fly to prince Edward Island with my camera! I would keep standing there to capture the winter light, the ice and sky changing from morning to evening. I believe that this is many photographers' dream!

Anonymous said...

I agree, the winter twilight color is beautiful. It takes a little extra effort to go out in the cold, but I can tell by your walks that they are therapeutic and help you see the beauty in the solitude of the snow. Andrea

Anvilcloud said...

Sun. We have sun this morning. It's especially nice on new-fallen snow. Yay!

Tabor said...

I also get a mild case of SAD and do less in the winter months and gain weight and eat more carbs. It is as much the cold as the gray light for me.

Marie Smith said...

Feel better soon, Debra.

Marie Smith said...

I wish you could see it in person, Tomoko.

Marie Smith said...

I feel so much better when outside for a walk rather than on the treadmill, Andrea.

Marie Smith said...

Hope to see some photos, AC.

Marie Smith said...

The cold doesn't help me either, Tabor!

DJan said...

I'm glad I don't suffer from SAD. We are gaining almost three minutes of daylight every single day right now. Yay! :-)

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm sorry to read that you suffer from SAD. Thank you for sharing it with us along with the pictures.

Marie Smith said...

The lights don't have to be on during supper these days. The sun is on its way back, Jan!

Marie Smith said...

I am fortunate this felling disappears with the return of the sun. Others are not so fortunate, HW.

Shammickite said...

It's been pretty dull around here all of January, very little sunshine, but I don't mind it at all. I try to get out as much as i can, and continue with my assorted activities: line dancing, art, dinner dates with grandies, looking after YoungerSon's dog etc etc. Spring is on the way......I hope!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you venturing out. The palette of whites, great and in-between are beautiful. Love these photos.

Marie Smith said...

Six weeks, Shammickite! Six weeks!

Marie Smith said...

Thank you, SS. Visually I love this light!

Mage said...

I can see the gold in the light. Me, I like any light. :)

Marie Smith said...

Lucky you, Mage!