Most Popular Post

Monday 2 January 2017

Discovery

One of my favourite Christmas experiences is to sit by the fire reading, 

 

or to sit peacefully in the evening, with the Christmas tree lights, the fire and a few candles lighting the room. 

The evening is a great time for reflection, to consider the past year and whether to make changes for the year ahead. In the last year, it surprised me to discover things about myself I did not realize. It is as if my conscious mind caught a glimpse of the self my spirit always knew.

My husband and I spent time this year exploring places new to us on our island home of Prince Edward. After the tourists left, the trails, beaches, and heritage roads were empty. We didn't meet another person during our explorations, as if we were alone on the planet on these occasions.

 

At such times, the stillness of nature will envelope you if you permit it. Allow it to enter and you become one with the breath of the earth, the rhythm of the living world. 

 

The cycle of life from new to old unfolds all around you. A river or stream babbles so as to report its delight in its condition and by its motion reaffirms the cycle.

We have walked busy streets in various cities around the world, such as New York, London, Sydney, and Paris. We enjoyed the hustle and bustle on the streets, the opportunities to explore and experience new things. We may do it again.

However, I have learned that for me, nothing compares to the feeling which comes with time in nature, walking a trail or beach and sharing a beverage, often a thermos of tea, with a loved one. The tea is almost a sacrament, a symbol of the serenity which bathes the body and inspires the soul. The air is fresh, and the sounds of the water, the birds, the wind in the trees all soothe the mind and body. 

 

Self discovery is an important part of aging. Better late than never.


26 comments:

DJan said...

So lovely, Marie. You are a gifted writer and I felt as if I were right there next to you, sharing that thermos of tea. Thank you. :-)

Angela said...

Beautiful words Marie! Nature does wonders for our souls. I am an extrovert however getting a bit introvert as I get older. I too love tea, my day starts with a cup of tea (robust dark with some milk.) May you have a wonderful year in 2017!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A wise and insightful post!

Down by the sea said...

It has been wonderful being taken on some of those walks with you and seeing more of your beautiful country. My husband and I share your sentiments and we will think of you both when we are doing the same thing here! Sarah x

Silver in AZ said...

wow, what a lovely image you painted, with the brisk walks, and the sacrament of tea. :)

Elephant's Child said...

As others have said, this is beautifully written.
Like you I find heart balm and solace in the natural world.

Marie Smith said...

Thank you, Jan. I wish we could walk together!

Marie Smith said...

The tea is a must, Angela.

Marie Smith said...

Thank you, Debra.

Marie Smith said...

We will think of you when we go on our walks too, Sarah. Another way to walk together. Our world is a wonderful place!

Marie Smith said...

These walks are essential to my well being, SW.

Marie Smith said...

Thank you, EC. The natural world is good for the soul.

Barbara said...

Yes. I learn more about myself as an older person than I did when you. Even better, I like myself more than I did when I was young. For me a walk in nature is a salve to any little irritation in the day. Your beautiful pictures are always so calming. You two should be very mellow!!

Joanne Noragon said...

Here's a glass to the land. I have visited most of my country, and always am glad to come home to the hills and the trees.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Well Marie, you and I are on the same track, my post for tomorrow is about the same thing - self discovery. :-) I agree, better late than never and time to try new things.

Marie Smith said...

I wish we were mellow, Barbara. We have our moments though.

Marie Smith said...

I'll drink to that, Joanne. A glass of red preferably.

Marie Smith said...

It's never too late to grow, Judith. Exciting!

Anvilcloud said...

You've taken us to many fine spots.

Mage said...

Happy new year to you both. Thank you so much for your wonderful notes.

Marie Smith said...

The island has many, John.

Marie Smith said...

I hope 2017 is a great year foryou and your family, Mage.

Ginnie Hart said...

Amen, Sister. Preach it. I am so one with you in these sentiments. The older I get, the more I feel it. Maybe that's why my favorite pastime for awhile has been coloring?!

BTW, I love the beaded icicles on your tree. How adorable.

Marie Smith said...

Aging is about learning and growing! We can surprise ourselves at any age, can't we , Ginnie?

The Furry Gnome said...

You're absolutely right, time in nature is so relaxing and peaceful. I only wish it weren't 20 below here!

Marie Smith said...

You get out there and enjoy it though, FG. There is so much work with the snow however, it takes from the enjoyment of the weather.