Most Popular Post

Saturday 5 November 2022

Autumn on the trail

It It was a cooler day, with a slight breeze and a mixture of sun and cloud. However the sun was shining as my husband and I headed out on our e-bikes. He rides more often than I do but this day we headed out together, hoping to have a picnic in Wellington, west of Summerside.

  

There are a few sections of this area of the Confederation Trail where it is leaf covered. The crunch of leaves as we rode was music to our ears as leaves were in short supply this year, many having been shredded by Fiona and stuck to windows, houses etc.





Just past Miscouche, the marsh area is flooded. 





Sometimes this area is almost dry, not so this day. Nearby, junipers or tamarack are the last trees to change colour 





and a huge wasp nest is easy to see among the bare branches of other deciduous trees. 





How that nest stayed in the tree through the violent wind of Fiona is a natural wonder.


We saw several Ruffed Grouse along the trail that day too. They were on the side of the trail and flew into the trees when we came near them. 





They are mottled browns and greys and disappear into the underbrush easily. 


This tree stump was an interesting find when we stopped on one occasion. 





It has two huge eyes looking out, a head of mossy hair and a shrub growing up through the moss. Nature always amazes us with how she reclaims her own.


The Confederation Trail has picnic areas every few kilometres. This one by the Ellis River in Wellington was a great spot for our picnic. 





Our new wide-mouth thermoses were just right for the chicken casserole we had for lunch, piping hot accompanied by a mug of hot tea. My husband and I like to have our main meal at lunch time and the thermoses allow us to vary what we bring for our picnic lunches.


While we ate, a local resident dropped by to check us out.





Curiosity is a feline trait after all. We called her Fluff. 


Other area residents were about too. Black-capped Chickadees called from the trees and Red-breasted Nuthatches walked down the trunks as the Chickadees flitted around them. Further down the Ellis River, five ducks swam around creating waves on the water which made it hard to take a good photo. Male and female Mallards, a female Merganser and male and female American Black Ducks made for lovely company while we ate. We hope Fluff will behave herself where our feathered friends are concerned.


After lunch, we rode to the park in Wellington, mere metres away. Herring Gulls 





took advantage of the quiet day on the river as we rode around the park on our bikes.





On the way home we stopped at the marsh again where the sun had broken through the clouds and the sky was reflected in the water. I love this union of water and sky.





I felt chilled that evening and it took me some time to warm up. However, the 30+ kilometres on bike weren’t detrimental to my hips and legs! Yay!

29 comments:

DJan said...

It's a beautiful area, for sure. Thank you for the wonderful pictures so I could join you vicariously. :-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Amazing how that obviously well-built and secured wasps nest survived Fiona! Love the stump too. And Fluff!

Anita said...

So many beautiful pictures!You live wonderful!That Juniper tree is soo big!We only have little ones.We make skin lotion and soap of it(berries).Smells (like you have been on the mountain all day)beautiful and is very antiseptic
all good to you and family!

Pam said...

What a beautiful walk about. And such a pretty kitty. HAHA>..love the stump. I would have to crave a mouth or paint a mouth under the eyes. LOL

Elephant's Child said...

What a delightful ride you took us one. Thirty kilometres (quite an achievement) disappeared in the blink of an eye. Love that mossy stump.

Bill said...

It's nice to have visitors like Fluff stop by when you are having a picnic. Beautiful photos and tour, thanks for sharing.

margi said...

I love to listen to the crunching leaves, too. Your island is idyllic. What a wonderful walk!

Rhodesia said...

Lovely autumn photos and beautiful photos. Love that wood stump, it is quite comical. Keep well Diane

Hena Tayeb said...

Lovely photos. That is a lot of biking.

Maebeme said...

What a lovely ride you had, and the photos are so wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Red said...

30 + km is a good ride! I know. I've done it many times. Keep on getting out even if it's not so nice.

William Kendall said...

What a sweet kitty cat.

Lorrie said...

A beautiful ride with varied views across the landscape. So glad you didn't suffer any ill effects from the 30 km. Your hot meal would be extra delicious in such surroundings.

Billie Jo said...

Thank you for taking us on your ride with you! It is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

John's Island said...

First of all, I’m happy to hear you are back on your bike again. That’s good news! I like to know that you are using an e-bike. We have considered buying them. Knowing that you are using them is a big plus in my book. Your first image on the Confederation Trail is another award winner. Love the lighting and the sky through the trees. You are so right about the wasp nest. Can’t believe Fiona didn’t knock it down. Neat picture of the Ruffed Grouse. Had to smile about the tree stump! 😊 Fluff is cute! Absolutely agree with you about the union of water and sky at your return to the marsh. I also loved seeing the caboose in that shot. 😊 Great ride and thank you for sharing it!

Catarina said...

Thirty plus kilometers!! Clap clap clap!! I'm proud of you. :)
The spot you chose for your picnic is fantastic.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Lovely views of your lovely island, Marie. Just so you know, I am still not being notified of your posts, so I have to remember to check in once in a while!

Anvilcloud said...

That is a pretty enticing first pic with some leaves still clinging and nice blue skies. Ans what a gorgeous kitty. It must be well cared for despite rambling about like that. Tamaracks: I want to photograph a nice stand someday, and not from a speeding car.

photowannabe said...

I'm so glad you are able to get out and ride with no problems to your hip. That's encouraging.
Gorgeous photos as usual.
I especially like the stump with it's "hair-do" and eyes looking at us.
Having a hot meal in that perfect setting just makes the day.
Sue

Debbie said...

it's so pretty there, the view of the trail are so pretty!! we recently took a nice long walk, it reminded me of your path. the tree stump is so adorable, i am always on the lookout for similar sightings!!

i missed out on prime colors here, but have enjoyed the little bit we did see. the ruffed grouse is so cute/pretty, bigger than i thought they were!!!

wonderful you were able to ride the bike, i will have to wait for spring!!!

At Home In New Zealand said...

I don't know why it is, but your blog never shows up for me until a day or two after you have posted. It is annoying because I know I sometimes miss your posts, and I always enjoy seeing where you have been walking/cycling. It is like I am there enjoying it with you :)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Awesome ride, your pictures are lovely. The tree trunk is fantastic! What fun to see something like that in Nature. Fluff looks like she just stepped out of a grooming appointment.

MARY G said...

My daughter discovered electric bikes and scooters in Brussels last week and was delighted. But she bought a pedal bike for her commute. Says she may succumb, but later.
Our larch (tamarack) are down now. We had a high wind Monday night and off they blew. So, a brown and gray world, lightened as is yours, by reflected blue.
There are several places in our bush where a mature tree has obviously grown out of a stump. I love them. Stubborn, stubborn things, trees.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Magnificent photos as usual Marie, and I enjoyed experiencing fall in your parts despite being in what still feels like summer in Florida. The Ruffed Grouse is new to me. Beautiful post- thank you.

Helen said...

What a wonderful day on your E-bikes. So many beautiful memories to store for the long winter months ahead.
I've just read your weather report for the weekend on the island. I hope further damage is at a minimum.

Tabor said...

Such a beautiful area. I do love marshes!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Marie
Looks like another great outing. Love the Gulls, the Grouse sighting and the cute kitty. The tree stump is a funny sight, it does look like two eyes and the moss is the hair. The leaves here are sounding very loud and crunchy while we are out walking, I think we are spooking the birds away.
Take care, have a great day!

baili said...

With teary eyes I will say that today I missed my laptop where I could see these majestic captures on bigger screen dear Marie.
First shot looks like drivin out from fantasy books Glorious!
Glad you could ride my friend and explored some exceptionally stunning surroundings.
Your picnic place is my most favourite Perfect!
Nest amazed me either.
Keep enjoying the glory of season friend

Barbara said...

Love the pictures. Especially the cat. I'd take her in a minute. Also the top photo looking down the lane, I really want to be there.