There has been a church in this spot since 1812 on Prince Edward Island. This is the third building, here since 1898. Known as Notre Dame du Mont Carmel, this church is an islander, made of red brick from the island.
The catholic church sits in the Evangeline region of Prince county, home to many Acadians. It was designed by Rene Lemay, an architect and son of Pamphile Lemay who translated the epic poem, “Evangeline,” by H. W. Longfellow into French, in 1865, almost twenty years after it was written.
The church is on the coast in Mont Carmel, behind a stone archway. The Northumberland Strait in the background was frozen when we visited.
There are two bell towers at the front of the Victorian era building and the traceried windows are inspired by Gothic design.
The statue of Mother Mary and Child Jesus is prominent inside the archway.
The cemetery alongside the church is behind archways as well, one separating the cemetery from the church
and one from the roadway. Inside the cemetery is a stone mausoleum.