Most Popular Post

Monday 25 February 2019

Frozen land and sea

The Evangeline region of Prince Edward Island is just west of our location. On a calm winter day, I took the camera and went for a drive along the coast of Evangeline. I took the ice grips for my boots since the walking is treacherous. The land is icy this year after numerous freeze-thaw cycles. 


Driving along the coast, looking out over the frozen fields and beyond to the sea, it looks like the land and sea blend into one this year.

Sometimes though, it is easy to tell when the land ends.




Often, it is difficult to distinguish between the frozen land and the sea, such as in the area of this cottage. 




Headstones mark the land but where does the sea begin?




This is not the place to have a picnic today.





A few straws of grass behind the colours of the Acadian flag give a hint of land.





Nobody will sit here today.





Smelt fishers often drive on the sea ice. Would you?






21 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Brrrrrr!

DJan said...

In any event, it's very beautiful. And no, I would not be on that ice in a vehicle! :-)

Sandy said...

What wonderful photo's, buy makes me cold just looking at them. I'm not a fan of winter, or cold, or snow or ice, lol.

Linda said...

What a place to be laid to rest. Stark at the moment but lovely too.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a fascinating survey. Beware, even natives, I'm sure.

Debbie said...

so cold but oh so beautiful, such a pretty blue sky!! i would not drive on it and i would not build a shack on it!!

i love the picture of the flag!!!

Laurel Wood said...

You are brave to endure the cold to share these gorgeous photos. They are amazing to this southern girl! lol No, I would not drive on the ice!

Anonymous said...

I see winter is getting a firmer grip on you this week! Andrea

eileeninmd said...

Hello, lovely views and winter scenes. No I could not drive on the ice or even walk on it. Too scary! Enjoy your day, have a happy new week!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Amazing images Marie.. hard for someone sitting here after a 37C day to come to grips with.. no I would definitely not be going out on the ice :)

William Kendall said...

Bone chilling, Marie!

Catarina said...

Walking on ice? No thank you!

Anvilcloud said...

Would I drive on the sea. I don't know, but not in my car. :)

Mage said...

Is that white swing in the shed in the ice or the waves. Godh, all that is so very chilling. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Tabor said...

As cold and lonely as it looks, it is still very lovely and peaceful and also a good reminder of how time moves on.

Bill said...

I love these photos, Marie. It looks so desolate. Excellent work!!

Shammickite said...

I wouldn't like to be out on the ice. But YoungerSon just spent the last weekend out on a frozen lake doing some ice fishing. Not my idea of a good time.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Some eerie pictures Marie. Just the idea that you had to wear ice grips would keep me home. I applaud you.

Retired Knitter said...

No I would not drive on the ice - I am not even crazy about driving over a bridge. Vehicles with wheels are 'land dwellers.' Ha!

Rhodesia said...

Far too cold for me!!!! Keep warm Diane

Tomoko said...

Looks very cold but how beautiful !!!