Most Popular Post

Friday 1 February 2019

Wise bird

After what felt like weeks in the house, my husband and I headed out to lunch earlier this week. On the way, we decided to head to the north shore of the island to see if ice lined the coast. The sun threatened to appear as wind blew clouds over the frozen land as much of the snow disappeared with the most recent thaw.


We drove to Malpeque Harbour, a favourite place to take visitors. The beach nearby, the working harbour and the farmers’ fields along the way are representative of island life. 


The wind was high enough to make the -7 C feel 10 degrees colder. It was icy under foot as well since we had a flash freeze after the last thaw. I forgot my ice grippers, so I didn’t go far. 


While my husband, who has better sense, waited in the car, I had company as I crept along behind the fishing shacks. A flock of European starlings filled some trees but took to wing as I approached. Several Blue jays landed near the same trees, picking seeds off the ground. 






But the most impressive creature was a Common raven, the biggest I’d ever seen. It  had claimed its place in a tree. 





With its distinctive call, it summoned another raven, which swooped in from a tree nearby but didn’t stay.


The basin was frozen, 





the fishing shacks deserted, 





the area desolate. Some boats were stored in the parking area near the shacks.  





Nothing stirred except the birds and the only sound was the raven. It squawked as I passed by as if to warn that I soon would be frozen like everything here. 


Time to go!



17 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Amazing that the birds carry on with their lives when it's too cold for us to do much at all. If I could just fly away I think I would!

Tabor said...

I have been near one of your areas full of lobster traps. This looks so bleak an tells me fishermen have to make their money in a smaller window of time.

Anvilcloud said...

One does get a little housebound these days, but it should start getting milder tomorrow and for the next week.

DJan said...

It sure does look cold. I'm glad you ventured out to get those pictures, but I hope you hurried back to join your hubby in the warm car! :-)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, cool sighting of the Raven. I love the Jay too. It does look cold there, stay warm and safe. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

You were brave to get out there and do some exploring Marie. Gorgeous shot off the blue jay, how they don't freeze is one of nature's miracles! Hope it warms up a wee bit soon ✨

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I wonder if those two ravens were Odin's? Spying on you!

photowannabe said...

Wow, too cold for me but I love your photos.
I especially like the bleak one with the blue houses in between the black and white.
Now get inside and have a nice cuppa....

Elephant's Child said...

You were very brave to get out, and I am glad you did so safely. I am also very grateful for the photos you braved the cold to capture and share.

Debbie said...

thanks for braving the cold...i enjoyed the pictures immensely!!

awesome capture of the blue jay...and the raven, both are so beautiful, crisp and clear!!!

William Kendall said...

Wonderful shots. The raven especially.

Bill said...

When it's very cold like that, it makes the scene look desolate with no people around. Beautiful shots, Marie. I like the raven and the blue jay, two tough birds braving the winter.
Stay warm!

Retired Knitter said...

We are also stuck inside due to the intense cold - but I haven't gotten housebound yet. Of course I believe I am south of you - midAtlantic area so our cold - while terrible for us - probably isn't quite as impressive as your cold. Stay warm everyone.

Catarina said...

: ))
Keep warm! Your husband is a wise man. : ))
It is nice to out and about.
I am in desperate need of an outing like that.

Mage said...

Delightful plumage to keep you company.
I am so grateful to live here on the West coast where our warmer days keep our small fleet moving year round. I like the starkness of the images. Thank you.

Sandy said...

Glad you were able to get out and about for a bit, but think I would be with your husband in the car to stay warm. It looks bitter cold in your pictures.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Brrrrr… I'm chilly just looking at the photos. The colorful bluebird looked out of place, whereas the raven fit right in … black and mean looking, like the scenes.