Most Popular Post

Friday 15 May 2020

Trails at Bonshaw

The provincial and national parks are closed in Prince Edward Island because of the Covid pandemic but the trails of Bonshaw are open to hikers. Bonshaw and the adjoining trails at Strathgartney are two of our favourite hiking areas so my husband and I headed out this week.


The parking lot was almost full. Steady movement of people through the lot showed how eager people were to be out and about in these times. It was sunny, windy and cold, but among the trees it was comfortable.


The earth is beginning to yield new growth now as plants push their way through the humus. The trees have buds which are growing, giving the promise of the new green of spring in a few weeks.





The coniferous trees are becoming a vibrant green again as the hours of sunlight increase. Ferns will soon appear on the forest floor.





There are mountain bikers this day, sharing the pathways with walkers without any problems. There is plenty of room to move aside for walkers and riders. However, hikers and bikers spread out over the kilometres of trails are hardly noticeable.





While I love a walk on a beach, it is equal in comparison to the sense of well being I feel in such a woodland setting as the trails of Bonshaw.




 

The height of the trees alone is enough to take me out of myself and feel a part of something greater. The light through the trees casts shadows which dance over the ground with the sway of the trees in the wind. Light plays hide and seek with visitors. The air is fresh and clean and reaches deep inside as your breathing slows while you take in the setting.


Though one must be careful of the roots along the trails as they can be dangerous under foot, they make me smile. They are so important to the forest and I always tread lightly around them. The roots remind me of the unseen part of the forest so essential to its well being and ours.





While the picnic area was closed, we had a table and chairs with us and set up on the grass near the car. It was good to be back at Bonshaw for another year. 


Even this early in the season, the benefit of our time in the forest is obvious!

 

24 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I am sure that it was a treat to walk the trails, especially in these times.

Boud said...

Forest bathing! Yes, just being in the trees is a great boost to your spirits. I need to get back to our beechwood now that the preserve is reopened.

DJan said...

I know exactly what you mean about feeling better after having spent time in the forest. I am truly surprised at how much later your spring is than ours! Our ferns are here year round, too. :-)

Debbie said...

i enjoy reading about these walks and trails. your description of the trees and area makes me feel like i am there enjoying it too!!! i am so happy you were able to have a picnic. really beautiful pictures!!

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks like a wonderful trail in the woods!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I couldn't agree more Marie, there is something almost spiritual about walking beside tall trees and your trees here getting ready for spring and summer are stunning, what a fabulous walk 💙

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Forest bathing! Lovely!

Bill said...

Back in your neighborhood to walk and enjoy nature. Enjoy, Marie and have a wonderful weekend!

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you so much for taking us forest bathing with you. Half a world away I can feel the benefits. Heart balm.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Walking those beautiful trails must be wonderful . I love being surrounded by tall trees.

Rose said...

I could almost feel the peace of the woodland trails. I sure wish I could walk them.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Thanks for taking me to Bonshaw with you. Just yesterday I was looking at the trees that border my house … they are all pines and quite thin but very high … and I wondered how old they are. My house was built in 1902 and I wish I had a picture of them at that time.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

There is a whole focus on forest bathing these days; it has become almost a pseudo religion, but I think that those of us who have spent a life time in woodlands and forests knew the benefits associated without having new age gurus tell us. Despite this, on a global scale we continue to cut them down,

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the gorgeous trees and the forest. It looks like a nice trail. Our local trail opened and yesterday we saw quite a few families out walking. Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

Retired Knitter said...

I used to love walking in the woods.

Angela said...

I love to be among trees however I feel better if we are in a group. I would never be in a wooded area alone. Although if one lives in a very civilized area of the world then it's different. It's so beautiful and indeed like the Lord intended for us, to live among trees and lots of green.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

There is nothing like being out in nature. Thank you for the beautiful photo tour and insights! enjoyed it..

Sandi said...

A lovely walk today. Thanks for taking us along!

Susan Zarzycki said...

We are just greening up here, finally. How lucky you are to have established walking paths that are open to the public now. Enjoy and regenerate!💖

baili said...

i loved this hike along you dear Marie

this is relief that people can hike though parks are still closed just like here
walking through woods can be spiritual experience indeed
trees standing tall around you add strength to your peace :)
i found these roots so beautiful and fascinating
more peace and joy to you my friend!

Stewart M said...

Spring with you, autumn me. Your buds are bursting, your leaves are falling. I suppose it means the world really is still working.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Rhodesia said...

What a beautiful place to walk, I love walking through forest areas. The tres talk to one. Hope you are well, Diane

Catarina said...

Great stroll. How I miss walking in the forest/park.

Living in PEI is good!

Jenn said...

SO soothing being out in a place like that!