Most Popular Post

Tuesday 26 May 2020

Uplifting

Recently I was near the International Children’s Memorial Park in central Prince Edward Island and since I hadn’t visited for a few years, I decided to stop by.





The park commemorates children who have died and in the two years since my last visit, many trees have been planted in the memorial forest. As I looked across the area, it was obvious many parents have experienced sorrow and pain in those two years, pain no parent should ever have to know, the death of a child.


There is a pond in the park where islanders fish in season. A trail runs beside the pond. The last time I walked the trail at Scales Pond, hundreds of butterflies lifted off the plants lining the trail. 





It was a spirit lifting experience after walking beside the memorial forest.


The experience this year was similar although not with butterflies. Tree Swallows darted about high above the water, drawing the eyes upward in wonder at the sight of them. Try as I might, I couldn’t manage a good photo of them. However, numerous unseen European Starlings rested in the tall grass ahead of me and as I approached, they lifted skyward, taking my spirits with them.


I managed this photo after watching many starlings take flight.





The location of this park has a way to take you out of yourself to look beyond. It is a wonderful memorial to our children.




21 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

What a beautiful memorial for the children! Love the pretty butterfly.
Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

DJan said...

It is so lovely. I was really moved by that memorial. And your pictures made me smile. :-)

The Furry Gnome said...

What a special place!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

The memorial is so sad and yet so beautiful at the same time Marie, that empty space heartbreaking 💔 the park is a wonderful idea, I love seeing the Welcome Swallows when they are here, hard to believe those tiny birds can travel such long distances each year 💜

Linda said...

Quite touching. Love the pictures.

Bill said...

Beautiful photos! That is a lovely memorial for the children and a nice butterfly.
Happy weekend, Marie!

Tanza Erlambang said...

I love to see butterflies....yellow flowers look so attractive.

Thank you to share the story of international children memorial park

Anvilcloud said...

I am sure it is a poignant place, especially seeing more trees being added since your last visit and not even mentioning the butterflies.

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that the park is there. And so very sad that it is needed.

Celia said...

Lovely and needed place. I still dream of our child lost nearly 50 years ago.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Seems like a lovely spot for such a special tribute.

William Kendall said...

Very poignant.

Red said...

My parents lost an eleven year old daughter.
They never came to terms with that loss.

Rose said...

I cannot imagine losing a child...I have always wondered how people go on. If they have other children, I think they know they have to go on and live, but if just one, I am not sure I could keep on.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Photographing a Tree Swallow in flight is very difficult, even with sophisticated equipment.

Helen said...

Hello Marie. The world of blogging takes one to many beautiful parts of the earth and one gets to 'meet' so many interesting people. I have just found your blog, through faithfully following Lynda's, Farm-ily. Thanks to Lynda asking us where we are all from, I have now discovered your blog and know I will totally enjoy reading your posts. Like so many people I had read all of the Anne of Green Gable books as a child and longed to visit. In 2014, my son married an islander and my wish came true. Alas this years visits have had to be cancelled.
Best wishes and now to start reading.

baili said...

this was indeed a beautiful walk dear Marie

you shared the glimpse so nicely as always ,each is worth stare :)
how amazing to bing able to visit parks again
parks are still closed here though

Polly said...

That empty image is so poignant.

Catarina said...

It made me sad...

Debbie said...

beautiful...the way you put it all into perspective!!!

Down by the sea said...

What a lovely idea, it must be a wonderful place to remember and find some comfort.