Most Popular Post

Wednesday 20 December 2017

First snow

Bitter cold. We’re not acclimatized to it yet this year so the “feels like” temperature of -10 C could just as easily be -30 for how cold we are. Besides, the early morning scad of snow makes it look cold too. The sky is gray, threatening snow. It is a good day to stay inside.  


Not us. Here we are again my husband and I, on the boardwalk after the first snow of the season. 




This snow won’t stay but before long the white cover will be thicker and the temperatures colder to sustain it. 


The squirrel isn’t choosy today. Usually the little rodents hold out for peanuts which someone is bound to bring by soon enough. However, this one stopped to eat the sunflowers seeds.




Every bite counts this time of year.


Blue jays are feisty too and fight over sunflower seeds left on a feeder. 





They usually don’t bother with those either. One stops to observe us, possibly watching for peanuts. 





The stream is partially frozen too but the resident mallard couple is busy dabbling. 





Before long the pickings here will be completely frozen and the two will head to open water. For today, they skirt the ice and stick together.  


Muskrat must be underwater today as they swim the inlet to and from their push-up. 




The layer of ice is thin but the animals are avoiding it. 



Nearby, the tall grasses which days ago looked rusty, now look bleached, whitened by the frost. 





From the gazebo, the harbour looks cold and gray as we leave for home. The bay will freeze soon. Winter solstice is nigh!







29 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Stay warm!

DJan said...

Brrr! It does look cold. Your cold weather is heading our way with much colder temperatures and that pesky wind from British Columbia coming too. I'm home awaiting my doctor visit to get the patch off the operated eye. I'm afraid I saw lots of light flashes in the middle of the night and am just scared that something's wrong. Never saw anything like it with the other eye. :-(

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, we have three months more to accomplish and spring is here. I can find it in me to appreciate very little about winter.

Tabor said...

You have captured the COLD nicely. Brrrr.

Elephant's Child said...

Oh. How glorious.
Over the past few days even my skin has been too hot to bear. Seeing this cool and elegant beauty has been heart balm. Thank you.

Marie Smith said...

I hope all is well, Jan. Good luck with the Dr.

Bill said...

Nice captures, Marie. The bluebirds crack me up, two of them looking down at the other one, like they're saying, "you don't want to get any closer". :) The bird looking at you with the "what do you mean you didn't bring peanuts" stare. :) I enjoy walks on cold days because you don't get too cold because you're walking and dressed for it. I love the scenery you explore, it's gorgeous.

Anvilcloud said...

We had snow and then rain, and now the neighbourhood is icy. I hate that. Just snow please.

Ginnie said...

The older I get the less I can take the cold but I like to live vicariously so thanks for taking me along on your winter stroll.

Rhodesia said...

I have never acclimatised to cold weather after 50 years in Africa! This year coming to the UK was an even bigger shock to us after 2 weeks in Nevis!!! Keep warm Diane

Marie Smith said...

For the next four months!

Marie Smith said...

The light begins to come back now, Joanne. That’s a positive in my book.

Marie Smith said...

Wish I could package it and send it off somewhere, Tabor.

Marie Smith said...

Wish we could share some of the cold with you, EC. Just enough to make you comfortable.

Marie Smith said...

I love that area, Bill. The animals were particularly aggressive that day, as if the snow created a new urgency!

Marie Smith said...

i hate that horrible mix too, AC.

Marie Smith said...

I know what you mean about the cold too, Ginnie.

Marie Smith said...

I imagine the cold is shocking to your system now, Diane

Barbara said...

Those Bluejays look big and fat. Hope it holds them through the cold winter.

The Furry Gnome said...

Those are very blue Bluejays!

Ginnie Hart said...

Winter solstice has now come and we are officially in winter...at least YOU are, Marie! I love how you have described and shown it all.

We had a bit of snow two weekends ago that only lasted a day or two. The temps now hover between 40-45° F ...not nearly cold enough for winter. The Dutch so much want to go ice skating again out on their myriad canals!!!

Marie Smith said...

They are busy there, Barbara.

Marie Smith said...

And no photoshopping, FG.

Marie Smith said...

It felt like the -20s today here, Ginnie.

Catarina said...

That was a beautiful and cold walk. But totally worth it!
Three blue jays in one picture?!!!
I only saw one, I believe, in my backyard this year.
It snowed last night. The trees are still covered with snow; the roads are muddy. The usual scenario.
: )

Merry Christmas, Marie!

Debbie said...

beautiful captures of winter. good that the animals are avoiding that thin ice...

your blue jays are such a pretty bright blue!!!

Down by the sea said...

Brr that does feel cold although it is lovely to look at through the warmth of my living room! Sarah x

Marie Smith said...

They are gorgeous, Debbie.

Marie Smith said...

The cold feels like it cuts to your bones, Sarah.