Most Popular Post

Monday 6 August 2018

Clamming

Our grandchildren were born on Prince Edward Island and they enjoy island life. However one part of that life they didn’t experience until recently was clam digging. The girls and I went clamming at the beach house and had a lot of fun.





Many people wait until low tide as we did. 





Then you find holes in the sand which indicate the presence of clams below. You dig quickly into the area and if you’re fast and accurate, you find a clam. We found soft shell and razor clams this way.


A bit further out in the sea grass, we found quahogs, 





larger, hard shelled clams. These can be eaten raw but if cooked are tough so people grind them up to include in chowder. A occasional scallop was in the same area. 





The site has oysters on the sand as well but since the area is leased to fishermen, you cannot gather them.





There are regulations with regard to numbers and size of clams you can keep. We placed all of them back in the sea however. 


One day soon, we will dig clams and keep the regulation size ones for a meal on the beach.


Note:  Some people use a plunger in shallow water to raise the clams from just below the sea floor. We haven’t attempted this method.




34 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

I've dug for fun. Lovely mystery.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

So much good healthy outdoor fun Marie, can't wait to get down on the beach with my two grandchildren when they're here over Christmas.

Debbie said...

it sounds like you are an expert and it surely sound fun!!!

Anvilcloud said...

I trust you were as happy as a clam doing this.

Rhodesia said...

Sounds like lots of fun even with putting them back but I also like to eat them. Keep well Diane

Tabor said...

We went clamming with our children many years ago. It was a very fun activity. I also like to eat clams.

Elephant's Child said...

Clamming is something I have read about. It does sound like a heap of fun.

William Kendall said...

Interesting for the kids to learn that way!

Bill said...

Ah, clam digging is fun and a nice meal when you get a bunch. Never heard of the plunger method but sounds interesting to try. Glad everyone had fun digging away.

Barbara said...

I have never had the chance to dig for clams. I'm not sure that I like to eat them, but it sure sounds fun to dig them up and release.

Linda d said...

Never done it but would love to give it a try. Great pictures.

Stewart M said...

Mud, sand and things to find - sound like a perfect kids activity (and not bad for me either!)

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

DJan said...

It does look like fun. I know lots of people around here to like to clam, but I've never done it. Must look funny to see a plunger out on the sand! :-)

Jenn said...

Fun! How far down are they? I noticed the holes on the beach on Vancouver Island but never dug any up.

Down by the sea said...

My husband goes clamming a few times a year. Our old dog used to help with the digging and loved it! Sarah x

Marie Smith said...

It is indeed a mystery what you'll find. The kids loved it and I did too Joanne.

Marie Smith said...

The kids love anything outdoors Grace. They really enjoyed clamming.

Marie Smith said...

Hardly an expert Debbie. It was my first time clamming. I just researched it before we did it.

Marie Smith said...

We all were AC.

Marie Smith said...

I like clam chowder but I’ve yet to dig clams for it Diane.

Marie Smith said...

It was great fun Tabor. The clam was always a surprise!

Marie Smith said...

Oh it is EC. The kids were thrilled with it. I enjoyed it too.

Marie Smith said...

I hope they’ll remember clamming with their grandmother for the first time William.

Marie Smith said...

It is great fun Bill.

Marie Smith said...

We will do it again soon Barbara.

Marie Smith said...

Hope you get the chance some day Linda.

Marie Smith said...

It great for all ages Stewart.

Marie Smith said...

You should try it Jan. Lots of fun.

Marie Smith said...

The depth depends on the type of clam but 25 cms is a good average.

Marie Smith said...

I know someone here whose dog digs up the clams for her. Our grand-dog might dig them up but she’d eat them then.

Mage said...

We have everybody but the oysters here too.

Marie Smith said...

The sea gives much, doesn’t it Mage?

Catarina said...

When we were in PEI many years ago I did some clam digging myself. I believed I have mentioned this already.
One day, I saw some people clamming and I wanted to do the same. For some reason we had a pail in the van. No tools. I used my bare hands. At the end of this wonderful and tiring activity my manicure was totally ruined! : ) But we had enough clams for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

Marie Smith said...

We hope to dig some to keep soon Catarina.