Most Popular Post

Thursday 12 September 2019

Through the dunes

Before school started last week, my husband and I visited Cavendish beach with the kids for the last time this year. The children love this beach with its pink coloured sand.





From the walkway, on our way to the beach, we could see through gaps in the dunes that the water was rough from the storm the previous day.





We set up our chairs and blanket in the swimming area and our daughter and the kids headed into the water immediately. Within the hour, the lifeguards warned swimmers about the rip current which was strong and most people left the water.


The kids enjoyed playing in the sand while my husband and I walked the beach. A small flock of Sanderlings landed nearby long enough for a photo.





Later we walked with our oldest granddaughter to the other side of the beach, where low tide exposed the sandstone cliffs. We walked among the sandstone Inukshuks left by visitors. Our granddaughter enjoyed making one too.





I mentioned how dangerous it was to stand under the sandstone cliffs. She had lots of questions about the rock, its formation and qualities. Our eldest grandchild has an interest in science.





Later the beach opened for swimming again and we enjoyed more time in the water. It was another great day on the island.

24 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Sounds like a perfect visit Marie, how I wish my grandchildren lived in Perth! How fascinating to see the stone sculptures.. just gave me an idea for when the family visits at Christmas, merci beaucoup ✨

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the beach, so pretty. Beautiful views and photos. Have a happy day and a great weekend!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is a long time since I visited PEI, too long in fact. I have wonderful memories of walking these very beaches, doing a little birding, poking around in the tide pools. I understand you suffered quite a bit of destruction from Hurricane Dorian. I hope that the landscape recovers quickly.

Shammickite said...

Lovely to spend some time on the beach, I am extremely envious. I grew up by the sea but do not have much opportunity to visit the coast now.... perhaps thats why i spend so much time in Newfoundland, whenever I can!!!

Debbie said...

the beach my happy place, your happy place!! beautiful pictures!!

Celia said...

What a great place to take your grandkids and yourselves. Hard to believe summer is just about over.

Ruth Hiebert said...

What a wonderful way to spend a final day at the beach for this season!

Elephant's Child said...

It looks and sounds like a truly wonderful day. And a great addition to all your memory banks.

DJan said...

Your pictures are wonderful and show a beautiful place indeed. I love the look of the whitecaps and the pretty skies. :-)

Bill said...

A beautiful day at the beach with the family. Nothing beats a day like that. Super photos, Marie.

William Kendall said...

A day well spent!

Rose said...

Don't you hate to see the summer end?

jenny_o said...

I was hearing about the rip currents here, too. Good that your lifeguards were still on duty. Ours were finished after the Labour Day weekend. Your trip to the beach sounds like a wonderful memory to store away for summer 2019.

Joanne Noragon said...

Nice, these last few days before weather begins really to change.

Anvilcloud said...

I do like the Sanderlings photo.

The Furry Gnome said...

For some reason I've been missing your blog. I am signed up again and will try my best to keep visiting!

Black Knight said...

It sounds like a perfect day at the beach.
Great photos.

Natalia said...

I would love to live by the beach, amazing photos ☺

Barbara said...

I think my walks with the Grand Girls have opened their curiosity about science too. It is such a reward to be able to share information and new interests with our Grandchildren.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Anvilcloud beat me to it. I love the Sanderlings photo … especially the pink and blue affect.

The Padre said...

What A Wonderful Day At The Beach - Loved The Reconnaissance Dog Post - Also, An Amazing Tale From The Dorian Experience - Like WoW - Pleased The Roof Stayed In Tact & That Your Husband Was Johnny On The Spot - Happy Sunday

Cheers

Angela said...

Lovely place! That is a soil that's indeed red!

Tomoko said...

You had a wonderful day with your family.
The red sand is always interesting to see.
Have a good new week,Marie.

Catarina said...

I miss the beach!
I remenber Cavendish well... we had a great time.
I am glad to read how pleasant your day was.