Most Popular Post

Friday 24 July 2020

Watch your step

During a walk on the beach in the national park on Prince Edward Island recently, we did not have to worry about social distancing. The beach on the north shore of the island had only four other people over several kilometres. We had a section of beach to ourselves.


The sandstone cliffs are always of interest along the coastline.





In the distance, a sea arch grows a bit every year.





The star of the day however was the Lion’s Mane, a purple starfish which is common in the waters around the island. On this day at low tide, it was common on the beach too.





This year the numbers of Lion’s Mane around the island are more than most islanders have ever seen. On the north shore, they were everywhere. Some were left stranded on the sand as the tide receded. Others floated in the waters which lapped the shore.





I stepped on one, slipped and fell on one knee from not watching where I was walking. Those stranded purple gelatinous creatures are slippery. While I didn’t hurt myself, I watched where I walked after that experience.


Thousands of the jellyfish floated in the water. In places they mingled with seaweed so it was difficult to distinguish them from the algae. Others  advanced and retreated with the gentle lap of the waves. Needless to say, we stayed out of the water. Their sting hurts. 


I watched some larger specimens are they moved up and down in the water, contracting and expanding the umbrella. The trail of hair-like tentacles from the underside of the bell shape give the jellyfish its name. A 24 second video shows its movement here. Their dance is like a slow twerk.


As we left the beach several people headed down to replace us in the sand and the jelly fish. 


Watch your step!




















29 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Neat video, but I, for one, would sure be watching my step.

Sandi said...

So gorgeous.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The views of the beach and water are just beautiful. I love the arch. The Lions's Mane are amazing to see. I would watch my step there, the jelly fish would hurt. Take care, stay safe! Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"a slow twerk" -- exactly! Their means of propulsion is fascinating to watch.

DJan said...

I wonder why there are so many this year. If you find out, I hope you share that information. Glad you didn't hurt yourself.

Linda said...

Pushing back with both hands..........nooooooooo jellies!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh wow so many of them Marie, they certainly are fascinating creatures. Sorry about your knees ✨

Celia said...

Hope your knee is better. I wonder do any of those stranded jelly fish recover to go with next tide or ?? Such a lovely place, I'd love to be on the beach. Thanks for the little trip.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Jellyfish are strange creatures, aren't they? Hope your knee soon recovers - I contrived to fall off my bike the other day - nothing broken but I didn't bounce as well as I used to.

Elephant's Child said...

That beach looked to have about the right number of people on it.
I am sorry about your fall, and glad that you were not hurt.
And thank you for including that fascinating video clip.

Bill said...

Don't you love it when the beach is for your taking and no one is around. Neat video on the jelly fish dance. I've seen them before but didn't get close. Glad you didn't get hurt but like you said, "watch your step.":) Have a wonderful weekend, Marie.

Rose said...

That is a great video...I don't think to take videos very often. Sounds like a good day to be at the beach.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Glad you didn’t get hurt in that fall. I think it would be fascinating to watch the beach action.

Red said...

There's always something good to see on a long walk on the beach.

JudithK said...

Hm. I had to look up your jellyfish. I am accustomed to the "Portuguese man of war" type, with their capability of having a sting, and I see that lion's mane does too! Maybe I researched too quickly...but am glad you didn't get any toxins on you. Interesting creatures.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Isolated beaches are the best :)
Watching jellyfish swim is fascinating, but I was sorry to hear you had slipped on one - and very glad you were not badly hurt or stung.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Miriam and I had talked about spending a couple of weeks in The Maritimes this year, and posts like this rekindle the desire to do so, but I doubt that it is going to be possible. Damn this pandemic!

Debbie said...

marie, this is such a beautiful area, a nice place to go and take pictures. the sea arch is such an interesting, structure? is that what you would call it??

i have never heard of that jelly fish except here. sorry to read about your fall, i'm sure that wasn't pleasant!! it's good you were not hurt!!

Anita said...

Wow!!this is a landscape I adore and dream of when I want to relax!!Such a beautiful place!!Iam so happy for you, that can live near by the sea.

You was a bit unlucky and slipped and fell and walked into a jelly fish!Uff!!

Hope it all went well!

Wish you and family a very nice and peacful weekend!

Anita

Tanza Erlambang said...

I was sting by jellyfish when I was kid...itchy, and yes, hurt..
Your beach so wonderful with marine wild life...interesting

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Such beautiful photos and so many jelly fish! Looks like a perfect place to take a walk.

Liz Hinds said...

We've had a few jellyfish washed up on the beach near our house recently. They usually are found further around the coast.

photowannabe said...

Wow, thanks for sharing the video with us.
What a gorgeous and amazing creature.
I have never seen so many all in one place.
Glad you didn't get hurt from your skid...
This looks like such a delicious place to walk and get some fresh air.
It's going to be another hot one here in Northern California.
99F. Glad we have AC.
Sue

John's Island said...

Hi Marie, When I look at your photos I often think, I would trade John's Island for Prince Edward Island in a flash, if only I could. :-) What a wonderful place to live and thank you for sharing views of it with us. John

jenny_o said...

Being just a short hop across the Strait from you, I'm too well acquainted with those jellyfish! It's one reason I don't like swimming in the ocean. That, and the crabs that scuttle around pinching toes. lol

Catarina said...

Their stings are very painful.
No wonder there was hardly any people there at that time. : )

Susie of Arabia said...

Wow there are so many jellyfish! And they look pretty big. At times when I've snorkeled here in the Red Sea, it's been loaded with an abundance of tiny purple jellyfish. I try to avoid them if I can!

Angela said...

Thank you! This is a great lesson in marine life. I never heard of Lion's Maine before. They look pretty in the photos.

Barbara said...

I would love to be able to walk on the beach like that. However, those moon things look serious and I think I'd have to stay far away from them.