Most Popular Post

Wednesday 8 September 2021

A different harvest

Plop…


Plop…


Plop…


What’s happening here? 


It was the question on some walkers’ minds as they approached an area of the boardwalk in Summerside recently. Cones of a large spruce tree fell every few seconds from the top of the tree onto the boardwalk below. Some people walked around the area of the falling cones and continued along the way, others walked over the fallen cones, oblivious. My husband and I stopped to investigate. 


It didn’t take long to see the source of the falling cones. An industrious Red Squirrel was busy above, nipping off the cones and throwing them from its lofty perch. You can see it here.


Plop…


Plop…


The Red Squirrels along the boardwalk are harvesting the cones for their winter stockpile, just like humans harvest various crops this time of year. Harvest is well underway on all fronts.





I had noticed the area filled with cones the previous day and suspected a squirrel harvest but had no proof. 





Today was my lucky day however. One could have been hit by a falling cone without injury but my husband and I stood out of the way as we watched the proceedings. Later, the furry harvester would store the cones in its stockpile for the long winter ahead. Those of yesterday’s harvest look to have been secured already. Today’s harvest was quickly accumulating.


We laughed as we watched the busy squirrel flick the crop out of its paws. We felt privileged to see this harvest.


28 comments:

Linda said...

Isn’t it amazing that it is genetically coded into that little guy to get ready for something that he isn’t really aware of. He’s not fretting like us humans, he’s just doing what nature tells him to.

William Kendall said...

A busy time of year for them.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hard-working farmer squirrel!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

-smile-

🍁 🍂 🍁

Boud said...

I've learned to avoid some local trees in fall because those nuts flying down can sting!

Elephant's Child said...

How I loved the video of that busy little harvester. Thank you.

DJan said...

What fun! I've seen this activity around here, too. The squirrels love the walnuts and scurry around with one or two in their mouths as they hide them away for the winter to come. :-)

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

What an industrious little creature! Harvest is almost finished around here, though we spent a long time driving behind a tractor and trailer while out yesterday.

margi said...

A busy squirrel! I like the video. Thanks for sharing,

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those critters sure are busy.

The Furry Gnome said...

That sqirrel is smarter than I expected.

Red said...

I once had a very large spruce overhanging my house, I heard plop pop on my roof.

Rose said...

I watched the video last night...could have laughed out loud almost. I bet it was fun to watch.

At Home In New Zealand said...

One very wise squirrel :)

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

That is so funny, love the cute squirrel. I wonder if that mean it will be a bad winter. Have a great day!

Retired Knitter said...

Listening to nature! I wonder when humans lost that ability - since as a species were are destroying our own environment. We are even deaf to climate change which is becoming louder and louder. Even the littlest creature doesn’t kill the plant that feeds him. We could learn a lot from watching nature’s littlest creatures.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Absolutely fascinating. I loved the video. How interesting to catch him in the act!! I wonder what he wanted to do with the cones or maybe he was just sharpening his teeth. Funny !

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Bravo! You two are marvelous observers. That video is fantastic! I wish it lasted longer because I could watch that squirrel for a long time. It is so funny!

Ginnie Hart said...

That's actually quite hysterical, Marie! HA! But it's hard to believe that that time of the year is upon us! WOW. Where has this year gone?!

Danielle L Zecher said...

That's so cute! Thank you for sharing the video. Squirrels are so adorable.

photowannabe said...

Wow and my goodness...
What an industreous squirrel...how funny to actually see this happening.
Great post today.
Sue

Bill said...

The little guy has lots of work to do, no time for chit-chat. :) Nice video!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh wow! How lovely!

Catarina said...

:))

Here, in my front yard the squirrels are harvesting acorns. I am stepping on acorns every single day.

Debbie said...

busy, hard working squirrel!! i enjoyed your narrative!!

JudithK said...

I hope those pine cones are ready for harvest! Here, the squirrels start on the pecans the minute they appear, take one bite, and let them fall to the ground. If they'd only wait a bit......Well, perhaps it thins the crop, so that the remaining nuts have more nutrition, though I doubt the squirrels have that in mind. I suppose they could, but somehow that seems unlikely to me.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Squirrels and chipmunk can be quite noisy mostly when gather winter supplies of goodies.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Helen said...

It is wonderful to be able to follow the changing seasons as you find them. There is so little variant here in north Australia.