Most Popular Post

Thursday 2 September 2021

Picnic under the birches

Birch trees with their grey/white trunks make a pretty setting any time of year. However, the shade provided on a hot day is reason enough to have a picnic under birch trees. Besides, the leaves trembling to the breeze create a sound I love to hear and can imagine later as I fall asleep. Birches are a wonder of nature.





We have found several stands of birches on Prince Edward Island and my husband and I visited one recently in Green Park in the northwest part of the island. Of course a picnic was in order and we sat in the birch-provided shade on a hot day with the wind blowing through the branches. Perfect.


While we ate, we watched the fishing grounds in the inlet across from our location. 




There, fishers went about their day at the mussels beds. 





On the far side of the inlet, the floats of the oyster beds were visible on the surface of the water. 





Below the water, cages of oysters hang from each float where they are left to grow until October. Then the floats are sunk and cages fall to the sea floor as ice covers the inlet. The floats are drained in the spring, oysters checked for growth and redistributed to cages and hung from floats for another season. Three years growth produces marketable oysters. 


After lunch we walked along the shoreline where the erosion is obvious. 





The birches and other trees are falling into the sea at an alarming rate. It is sad to see these trees disappear down over the bank as the rich red soil is washed away. 





Camp cabins along one area of the shoreline are available for overnight rental in the privately run part of the park. Some people like these better than a tent for camping. 





Two Greater Yellowlegs walked ahead of us along the beach 




and Tall White Asters almost two meters high lined the trail back to the car. 




Overhead, the Mountain Ash trees were full of berries, known as dogberries in my native Newfoundland.




Time at Green Park is good for the spirit.


 





30 comments:

DJan said...

Just beautiful, Marie. I love the idea of the camp cabins myself, but I did a lot of tent camping in my day. Great pictures, every one. Thank you!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like birch trees too!

Rose said...

This is such an interesting post...never ever thought about how oysters and mussels were raised. I am thankful you told about it.

I have always loved white birches...always meant to have one and never did.

Sandi said...

Loving the sweet serenity in these photos.

Lorrie said...

The title of your post brought to mind such a beautiful scene. I love birch trees, too, and the way they tremble and sigh in the slightest breeze is so very lovely. It's too bad about them eroding into the sea.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, I'd take one of those little cabins over a tent.

I was born in the village of Oystermouth and they've recently started growing/breeding oysters here again.

Elephant's Child said...

How very, very beautiful - though the erosion is worrying.
Our birch trees are just coming into leaf again and I am loving their fresh green growth.

William Kendall said...

Lovely views. You had a good day to get out and about.

Red said...

You appreciate your locality by getting out and enjoying it.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, I'd take a cabin, too. Wonderful groves of birch. Too bad they are erodng away so quickly.

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks like a beautiful, relaxing place. Great for a peaceful picnic.

JudithK said...

Lately I have seen other photoblogs with rowan trees, aka mountain ash. Mostly from Britain.
And there are many legends about them. Do you think they are the same?
As usual, today you have posted a lovely series of photos with thoughtful narration. Thank you.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing your time at this lovely area. Those birches are so lovely.

At Home In New Zealand said...

I know that rustle of leaves on a birch tree and love sitting beneath them and listening. I thought they were one of my favourite trees until we had one growing near the house and fought continually to be rid of the tiny leaves and twigs etc. that the tree kept dropping. Now I just enjoy those that belong to other people!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I real like the ash berries.
Coffee is on and stay safe

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I had no idea that oysters were produced in this way. It is often through blogs that we learn something new.

Retired Knitter said...

What a great idea - those tiny cabins instead of a tent!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The birch grove has a special beauty, classy, natural, and highly picnic worthy. All that work for oysters, bravo to those farmers. The little cabins are cute.

Mage said...

Yes, I like those cabins too. What does one do with the berries tho.

photowannabe said...

Oh what an elegant picnic time you had. I love the birches and the sound of the wind blowing through them.
Fascinating information about the oyster beds. I didn't realize how long it took for them to be ready for harvesting.
Such beautiful scenery.
Sue

John's Island said...

Hi Marie, Thank you for another beautiful post highlighting your time at Green Park. I am so with you on the Birch trees and sitting below them in the shade enjoying the sounds of the leaves in the breeze. Yellowlegs are perfectly named! :-) I think I would enjoy staying overnight in one of those camp cabins. Interesting to learn about the fishing and oyster beds. Just a great post! Thanks again and best regards from Seattle. John

Barbara said...

I love birch trees. I don't think I've ever seen one in person. Most be a cold temperature tree. They are so unique. I could see collecting pieces of bark - if they fall off, which I think they do. Very nice.

Linda said...

I can no longer hear the birches but I do love what they do to the light. Bending and dappling it in a way that can't help but make me feel happy.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Wow! so much going on in that park. It looks so beautiful and peaceful. I've never seen oysters or mussels being fished. As always, your photos are exceptional.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The birch trees are beautiful, looks like a pretty area for a picnic.
Great shot of the Yellowlegs. I like the view of the red beach. It is sad the trees and soil are being washed away. The dogberries are a pretty color. Lovely photos. Take care, have a happy new week!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I've always loved Birches, Marie, but even growing up in New England (where they abound) I've never seen so many in one area as in your first photo. LOVELY !

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What lovely photos! I have always been a fan of birch trees. I also, seriously, miss being by the water. There is something magical about bodies of water.

baili said...

these sights are powerful enough to captivate senses for long dear Marie

the first image seems drawn out of my dreams specially :) such lush and serene views appeal everyone and i am so happy you live in such a beautiful area and enjoy the closest look on nature !

the beds in water are unfamiliar to me glad i learnt what they are ,three years is long time for growth of oyster it is nice to see that natural foods are growing properly and in a healthy way ,
i would like to spend few days in these river side cabin :)

Danielle L Zecher said...

I love birch trees. They're so pretty! We don't seem to have very many around here. I'm not sure why. That does look like the perfect spot for a picnic.

Helen said...

I enjoy looking up where you visit on google.
Beautiful birches, but the erosion is so sad.
I hope you return in the autumn.