Most Popular Post

Sunday 5 September 2021

Along the shoreline

The boardwalk at Summerside is undergoing repair work and the popular section of the trail where many of the birds, squirrels and chipmunks hang out has been closed to walkers. 





With replacement of the bridge over the stream, workers have drained the area to facilitate construction and the setting has changed a great deal. 





Ducks who frequented the salt marsh have moved on but the usual late summer shorebirds still frequent the shoreline. We walk near the section under construction and enjoy the gazebo and shoreline. We have seen a few birds new to the area this month and enjoy our time observing them.


Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs are walking and feeding along the shoreline these days. The two species are so similar but beak size is a distinguishing feature. They appear to live in harmony together.





One day, watching from the gazebo, I noticed what looked like a small flock of sparrows land on the beach which would be an unusual sight. I watched the birds, obviously not sparrows but Least Sandpipers, the smallest of the sandpipers. They stayed long enough for me to take a photo.





Another day, Black-bellied Plovers stopped for a visit. Eventually I managed a good photo.





One of my favourite days brought the Double-crested Cormorants from the breakwater




to a sandbar near the old Rifle Range. A few Great Black-backed Gulls sat among them. One could imagine the birds chatting, moving around to speak to friends they spot nearby, waiting for fish to enter the channel. Poor fish, though I would have liked to see that fishery.




                                                                           The Stand


Great Blue Herons were vigilant nearby as well, watching everything with those eagle…rather, heron eyes.





The next day, the cormorants were back at The Stand again, this time, a flock of Bonaparte’s Gulls rested on a sand bar in front of them. There is quite a contrast in size between the cormorants and these tiny gulls.





As often as I can, I sit for a time on a rock or a bench, enjoying the breeze with the sun shining and the wonder of birds spread before me. It is a time when the troubles of the world disappear and all is well for a few precious minutes. Perfect!



22 comments:

Linda said...

The pictures make me think of lazy summer vacation days where it was quiet and easy. Simply lovely.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like the birds on the sandbars, LOL!

Tabor said...

You do have your lovely share of birds. Our plovers are not so abundant.

Elephant's Child said...

Yet another delightful walk. Thank you so much.
How I would love to take it with you - and yes, to sit and observe too...

margi said...

Beautiful pictures and a great story! I could almost feel the breeze...

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful images. Watching nature, in my mind is not a waste of time. it refreshes both body and soul.

peppylady (Dora) said...

A few times I been on a sail boat I really enjoy it.
Coffee is on and stay safe

William Kendall said...

Wonderful views.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Oh Marie, you make me remember how wonderful it is just to sit by the beach and observe the wild life around you. I miss living by the coast.

Joanne Noragon said...

Beautiful sailboat, too.

The Furry Gnome said...

The photos of those Cormorants are amazing!

DJan said...

What fun to be able to enjoy those birds close by. Your pictures are wonderful! It's a beautiful place and I'm glad you share it with me. :-)

Red said...

I agree that watching birds brings about peace and quiet. Just sit in one spot and the birds go by . all you have to do is watch.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful birds and scenery

Mage said...

I really enjoy these birds. Thank you.

Stewart M said...

That looks like a great place to explore - I am very jealous!

Many of our shore birds come to Australia during our summer, so I look forward to seeing them soon.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

PS: sorry for long delay between visits, being in lockdown is not good for me!

Susan Zarzycki said...

I love your photos of seabirds!💖

baili said...

these mesmerizing images filled life in my moments dear Marie

thank you so much for the virtual trip ,this is such a deep joy to share the splendor of your area ,the sky in second photo is divine !

human advancement has eclipsed the natural beauty of land no doubt though i liked the bridge .

oh i absolutely loved looking at these cute beautiful feathery friends !

never saw such tiny gulls ,the gazebo has very long beak wow
you captured all in a really fascinating way .
more blessings to your lovely world!

Rose said...

I cannot imagine seeing that many cormorants at once....but I would sure like to. Loved seeing all these birds...wish I had some place like this. I have always loved birds.

Rhodesia said...

Great photos and I love the Plover. Black-bellied is a new one on me. I will eventually get back to blogging but just so little time at present! Keep safe Diane

Debbie said...

beautiful images!! i love those plovers, i have never seen the black bellied plover. how do they stand on those tiny little legs?!?

Helen said...

I too would find it perfect to sit and watch these birds.