Most Popular Post

Monday 11 July 2022

Our comedy of errors

It started out as a small project, the way many things do for us. I planted green beans in the garden and the dowels I used for years to support them were in bad shape. My husband, never one to shrink from a project, decided dowels were inadequate, so off he went to the store to buy some planed lumber he could cut into sticks for the garden.


He wasn’t gone long so I wasn’t surprised when he returned without the wood. “You wouldn’t believe what they were charging for a few short pieces of planed lumber. I’m going to the sawmill to get a few pieces,” he said. “Come with me?” The sawmill was half an hour away. 


So, not wanting to miss an adventure, I agreed and within minutes was whisked away to Richmond, west of Summerside. There we stopped at a Handy Andy hardware store for directions to the sawmill. “You can’t miss it, about 700 meters up the road,” reported the clerk when asked about the sawmill. Meanwhile, my husband was distracted by the stock in the store.




“There’s one item of everything from a needle to an anchor in there,” he reported as he returned to the car. “I have to come back here one day,” he added. I thought about the return visit and the untold nuts and bolts which would be added to the supplies in our garage which is already chinched as Newfoundlanders say. We headed west.


Before long, we saw the sign for the sawmill and turned into the driveway where potholes were filled with water from the latest thunderstorm. The bottom of the car hit in a pothole. Oops! “Wonder what was damaged?” he queried as he exited the car and went into the store. There wasn’t a sawmill in sight.


Outside the store a lumberjack stood guard. He kept a silent vigil and could have been a good lumberjack but I didn’t hold out much hope for wood cut with that axe.




Out came my husband with directions to the sawmill, “Further along the road, take the first left,” he said. We left the driveway carefully so as not to do any more damage to the car. As we drove along we listened for problems and reminisced about Handy Andy stores which our fathers frequented when we were children. We hadn’t seen one in fifty years or more.


Eventually we found an exit left and drove and drove. Ten minutes later, right turn and soon the sawmill appeared in the distance.





A clerk showed my husband some pieces of board which would normally have been discarded but now were his, without charge. That price was right. Half an hour later we were home and soon, he was cutting the strips with the circular saw.


Now you would think the story ends there, however, you’d be wrong. Rarely does my husband do a project without drawing blood from some appendage. Knowing that the circular saw was involved I had said, “Don’t lop off any fingers.” Emergencies involving blood make me weak in the knees.


Well, twenty minutes later he came from the garage, blood dripping from his thumb. It was a close call though the thumb was still there. The flesh on his thumb was mangled and it took some time to stop the bleeding. A week later, it still hurts him to do anything with that hand. Who knew your thumb was involved in so much hand function?


We saved forty dollars on sticks. 








 




33 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Those poles have made a neat and economical job. I never think a job is done properly till I've shed some blood over it. The digits on that lumberjack look a bit mangled too.

Boud said...

Those sticks better last!

DJan said...

Oh my! At least everything seems to have turned out all right, even if a little bit damaged. Look at all the money you saved, though. :-)

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The garden sticks look nice, they were a good price. I love the carving of the lumberjack. I hope your husband thumb is healing, the thumb does have many necessary functions. Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy new week!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

-Waving hand-

Wife of another woodworkers here!!!

Luckily he has never lost a finger, in all those years. But he whapped a finger with a turned off router. It started to fall... He tried to stop this... The On switch got hit... And....

Urgent Care did him up with some new and wonderful form of "New Skin" and we went home.

His eyesight is now so bad, that he has been banned, by family, from using scary power tools.

Btw, I was expecting a broken under-car-something, from that close call with those pot holes! But guess that did not happen.

Better go with him, when he wants to revisit that new-to-him hardware store! You never know what _you_ might find, which _you_ didn't know, could be found, in there!!! I did this recently! Found an item I had been searching for!!!!!!!!

Gentle hugs,
🍓 🍓 🍓 🍓 🍓 🍓

Bill said...

Great price, you can't beat free but it might cost you a bit of blood and a sore thumb. Hope the thumb is improving.

Billie Jo said...

Wow! That was an adventure! Looks good, and I hope he heals soon!

MARY G said...

I am married to your husband's identical handiman twin. With bandaged thumb. When he runs out of space to store stuff, he builds a new building.
And we owned a portable sawmill for years. It has now been sold to the handiman across the road and I can hear it whirring away.
Right!

photowannabe said...

Wow, that's quite an adventure you and your Hubby were on.
So sorry about his thumb but the saving of $40.00 is terrific. Your garden will thank you for sure.
Sue

Secondary Roads said...

A penny saved is often at the price of appendages. Hope he heals completely and soon. Forty dollars is an excellent savings.

Danielle L Zecher said...

That was definitely an adventure! It seems like there's no such thing as a quick/easy project. They seem to always take much more time and become much more complicated than we think they're going to.

I hope your husband's thumb heals up well. I'm guessing it would have been cheaper to buy the planed lumber or dowels than pay for the medical care for the thumb. I don't blame you on the blood. Bloody injuries always make me feel woozy.

Anvilcloud said...

As a non-DIY-er I don't know what to think except that I think I shall remain so. I expect that I might easily kill myself and, perhaps, other around me.

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh no. That is both horrible and a little funny. Hope his thumb feels better soon.

Lorrie said...

I laughed out loud at the last line! A great story of pennies saved at the expense of...blood and time. The sticks should last a long while.

The Liberty Belle said...

Sorry to hear about the thumb.

Ruth Hiebert said...

You saved money and made memories as well. I do hope that thumb heals quickly and completely.

William Kendall said...

Ouch!

Red said...

Well next time you'll know exactly where to go and save on some gas too.

MFH said...

The story is priceless!

Barwitzki said...

Stories that life writes... all the best for the man's hand.
The vegetable patch is great. Now it's time to grow in the sunshine... Anticipation... bean soup is delicious :-)))

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Oh no! We've had a few close calls over past couple of years building our house but no serious injuries yet.

Liz Hinds said...

Oh that is so Husband in every way. Why pay to do it simply when you can do it yourself? And damage yourself in the process.
We have the equivalent of a Handy Andy in the village. Whenever I need something obscure I go there.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

"Not wanting to miss an adventure"
I read that and knew this is going to be good.
Your writing is impressive.

Prayers thumb heals well

HWIT BLOGG said...

What a story :) Love it!
Titti

Joanne Noragon said...

My father would have done the same. My brother would have bought the mill's going out of business stock and brought it home to add to his stock, much of which we gave away, when he died.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

An interesting day ... and not a bird in sight. I look forward to seeing your photos of them because quite a few are ones I don't see down here in the southern part of the U.S.

Catarina said...

What an adventure... and painful too.

Pam said...

Love the lumberjack! CUTE. Staking those plants are a must so great job.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Ah, what are husbands for if not to shed a little blood for their family?

Maebeme said...

Your husband sounds much like my dad. He couldn't use power tools without harming himself somehow or another. The worst was when he reached under a running lawn mower to clear the plugged grass and lots the tips of three fingers.
You certainly had quite the adventure on your drive to the sawmill!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Oh my! What a story. I can relate- my husband often runs in circles to save some money only to end up with problems. One of the stores had 30 pound bags of mulch on sale for 1/2 price but charged for delivery. I begged him to have it delivered. NO- he went back and forth 4 times to get all the mulch and was in bed for a week from straining his back unloading all the mulch from the car trips. We ended up having to pay a college student $25/hr to spread the mulch around the property because my husband couldn't move.

Debbie said...

OMG!!! best story i have heard in a long time!! i feel terrible about his thumb, really i do, but this will be an awesome story for future thanksgiving dinners....and christmas too!!

don't tell him i said so BUT it must have cost a small fortune in gas to make that 40 minute drive!!

Retired Knitter said...

Too funny! But I LOVE his enthusiasm and dedication to a project. I think my son is like that.