Most Popular Post

Wednesday 13 July 2022

Wildflowers of the island

While I enjoy flower gardens, I enjoy especially the natural gardens of wildflowers which Mother Nature produces every year. She is a clever one too since she orchestrates a succession of beauties, as some go to seed, other blooms take their place.


Now the lilacs and rockets of the roadsides and pathways are gone to seed. The daisies which spend some of their blooming time with those two, 





now commune with other blooms.The variety is lovely. 


Vetch, in its pink/purple beauty attracts bees 





as do the wild roses which are also in abundance. 




Red Clover grows tall, reaching for the sun in a crowded field, as does St. John’s Wort.





Numerous Broadleaf Meadowsweet blossoms line pathways now 





as Goats Beard claims a spot along an embankment. 





Some are gone to seed.





A close look on a sandy trail reveals Red Sand Spurrey, a tiny bloom about the size of a baby’s little fingernail.





It looks like a succulent and is easy to miss although it is worth one’s time. A tiny blossom on a vine among the shrubs, is easy to miss too. Bittersweet Nightshade looks delicate but its purple blooms with yellow centres cause one to pause and admire them. 





Blue Flag Iris always catches my eye along a trail. 





One works hard in a garden to grow blooms half so pretty. Buttercups, familiar blooms of our childhood, are favourites of the ants.





Tall Meadow Rue is almost waist high among the shrubs 





and Spreading Dogbane is a shrub with tiny bells.





Along the shoreline at Rice Point, some familiar blooms along with Bedstraw and Large Hop Clover almost hide the fence along a property line.





Wildflowers are so much prettier than fences.    


30 comments:

DJan said...

I love seeing all your pretty wildflowers. I think I'll have to make a post about those we have here. :-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love wildflowers too and you've got some real beauties there in PEI!

Anvilcloud said...

They’re in exuberant profusion now. Down by the pond and in other places, the wild parsnip is having its way.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

None are as lovely, as wild flowers... To me.

Ahhh look at all the Deadly Nightshade! Beautiful yes, but poisonous.

Nothing like wild flowers.

Thank you...

✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

Pam said...

BEAUTIFUL.....course purple being my fave color, I love them the best.

Bill said...

You captured some beautiful wildflowers, so pretty to see.

Elephant's Child said...

Simply sublime. Thank you.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love all flowers and a beautifully manicured garden is lovely, but I am always drawn to the wild abandon of the wildflowers.

MARY G said...

Splendid! You have some fine wildflower fields. I have to search for flags, although we do have them. And daisies. And. Yeah. I like the list a lot. Thank you.

Red said...

Couldn't agree more. You know your stuff.

Maebeme said...

I agree, the wildflowers are so pretty and so hardy. Sometimes I wonder why we bother with nursery plants.

Stanisław Kucharzyk said...

Thank you very much for the beautiful photos from the Island. It seems to me that the fifth photo is not hawthorn, but Broadleaf Meadowsweet (Spiraea latifolia)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

As always, Nature provides the best garden of all. Why, as humans, we seek to control and subdue it, assume it is all wrong, discriminate against some plants, castigate dandelions, and assert that in general we know better than evolution, is quite beyond me.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

........and that fifth picture is not Hawthorn, Marie.

Marie Smith said...

As Stanislaw pointed out, the fifth photo is Broadleaf Meadowsweet. Thank you, David and Stanislaw.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

thank you for sharing and identifying these beautiful wildflowers. My husband and I enjoy all the wildflowers we see on our evening walks. Maybe I'll take some photos too.to share.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Spectacular wildflowers are appreciated, especially masses of them.

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Lovely...walking by scenes like these would be so perfect for a early evening walk. I know they would quiet some of the brain noise that I often feel...thanks so much for sharing! Mary

Debbie said...

from mother nature herself, with no outside help, pampering or water, they thrive!! all are glorious, you do have an abundance there!!

The Furry Gnome said...

I'm working on a similar post, on 'My friends, the Weeds'.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Those are some pretty flowers
Coffee is on and stay off

Retired Knitter said...

Wonderful picture of the colors all around you!

HWIT BLOGG said...

Wild and beautiful...lovely pictures!!
Titti

Paolina said...

I fiori sono meravigliosi, danno allegria e serenità alle nostre giornate!

John's Island said...

Hi Marie, I love your photos, every single one. And, it’s funny how you said something that is almost exactly like a thought I had yesterday. Re Mother Nature, you said: “She is a clever one too since she orchestrates a succession of beauties, as some go to seed, other blooms take their place.” Me: Yesterday I drove to a little fruit stand that is open only in the summer. It’s operated by Spooner Berry Farms of Olympia, Washington. People actually line up to be there when the stand opens so they can buy berries picked fresh daily at a reasonable price. Most days only one type of berry can be purchased. Early in the summer we have the strawberries, followed by raspberries, followed by marionberries, and finally, late in the summer, the blueberries. So, yesterday, my thought: Mother Nature is so smart to produce the berries at different times so we are not overwhelmed with all of them at the same time. John

photowannabe said...

You are so blessed with an abundance of wildflowers.
Truly gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing.
Sue

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Re: your comment on my blog...

But does she _need_ to use her hearing aides? If she has no problems with hearing, she probably doesn't need them.

Or... If she did not get the proper ones, they are not comfortable, perhaps?

I'd really like to know... -smile-

But of course, I _really_ need them!

Also, what was the "message to you"?

Please and thank you.

Helen said...

Wondrous, magical nature!

margi said...

I love wildflowers. They are always beautiful.

Sherry's Pickings said...

i've never seen vetch before. such a lovely colour.