Most Popular Post

Tuesday 12 November 2019

Bits and bobs 6

The patio furniture is put away, the garden has been put to bed and the mower exchanged for the snow blower in the shed. Another summer is put to bed. The snow was late arriving this year though so we delayed these chores until the last few weeks. The first snow disappointed us this past weekend. 


Recently on a visit to Charlottetown with our daughter and the kids, we experienced an episode of road rage from a driver in a truck covered in distinctive decals. He drove close behind us, revved his engine, blew his horn numerous times, slammed on his brakes to fall back behind us only to repeat the same. This occurred after our daughter didn’t allow him to cut in front of her at a traffic light.


We had three children in the car and didn’t want to alarm them so the adults made light of what was happening. However we were alarmed at this behaviour. After several kilometres, the driver pulled into a gas station, much to our relief.


Several weeks later, we saw the same vehicle in the parking lot of a local body shop and the front of the vehicle was gone from an apparent accident. It wasn’t surprising what had happened to that vehicle but I hope the man wasn’t hurt or that he didn’t hurt anyone else. Aggressive driving catches up with you eventually.


I was subjected to two email scam attempts recently, one claiming to be from the Canada Revenue Agency and another from Apple about my Apple account. The supposed CRA email claimed I owed money and the police would be notified about if I did not respond. The supposed Apple email said I had charged almost $90.00 for a game. If this was incorrect, I could check the information on a link, which I didn’t do. These scams keep me on my toes anyway. However, imagine the good which could be done in the world if these scammers put their time and effort into positive things instead of trying to swindle others!


There was a weather bomb last month. We had wind and rain for an extended period but it rained so hard for an hour that we couldn’t see across the street. We had never seen anything like it. It was as if a giant fire hose was positioned over the neighbourhood, pouring down on everything. Areas across North America have had the same for an extended time and have had major flooding. We were lucky.


If only scientists could figure out how to create these weather bomb conditions in areas where the earth is burning, such as in Australia and California.



21 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

We were all in the car with my son-in-law once and he was enraged by another driver - I can't remember who started it but he responded. It got really scary and he had a tiny tot in the back. Driving seems to bring out the worst in people. Even me - but mainly if someone toots at me I want to go after them and explain why i did what I did or what they thought I did. To put my side. But I don't. Just mutter to myself.

DJan said...

I have not run into many aggressive drivers like that lately, but I know they are around. I too hope that driver (presumably male) did not hurt anybody else. And yes, the weather throughout the entire world is going just a bit crazy! Droughts and floods: I just read about Venice having just had one of their worst floods ever. And I'm glad I live in a part of the country that has relatively benign weather. I've never seen rain like you describe.

Linda said...

Road rage is a very scary thing. You never know how far the person is willing to take out their anger on you. So glad everything turned out ok.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

You are right Marie, those weather bombs would be much appreciated in Australia right now. The road rage experience couldn't have been fun, I just don't understand road rage, the lack of control is frightening!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

If ever that happens again and someone in the car has a cell phone, call 911, and tell the police where you are. The other driver will regret his behaviour in a hurry. It happened to me once and the idiot didn't even have enough gumption to keep his mouth shut and was mouthing off at the cop. I am sure it did not end well for him.

William Kendall said...

You're probably more generous than I am- I think an aggressive driver like that deserves precisely what they get. Unfortunately they seem to take other people with them.

At Home In New Zealand said...

It is so frightening to be a victim of road rage. You and your daughter did well not to alarm the children.
Those scammers! I had one on my phone recently which I just ignored, and then someone hacked into my Facebook account which had to be sorted. Like you say, if only they could use their talents for good then the world would be a better place.

Anvilcloud said...

People tend to park their brains when they unpark their cars. It is a similar thing with keyboards.

Ruth Hiebert said...

It's a sad day when people try to disrupt traffic and all because they are unhappy within themselves.

Bill said...

Road rage is scary, glad no one was hurt. Aggressive driving is asking for trouble.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, water bombs and forest fires would go well together.
I've been associated with several road rage incidents lately. They didn't end as nicely as yours, but they did end decently.

Rose said...

I am always telling Roger that if the scammers would put even half that energy into something good, imagine where we would be.

baili said...

story about weird driver is frightening dear Marie
i am glad that you and your daughter dealt with it wisely
so true that almost all road accidents are result of such irresponsible behavior ,hope he learnt his lesson little bit after accident

either here we are experiencing quite strange and unusual weather conditions
i really hope if we can prevent what is left behind if there is as it is obvious that mother nature is angry with our carelessness as inhabitant of planet

scammers are weird indeed ,and i agree that they have lot better to do but unfortunately they have no light to realize

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Road rage and scamming - two of the least pleasant aspects of modern life. Though I did have to smile when my mother had a scamming call claiming that she had been involved in a road accident: she calmly replied that it was only to be expected as she was 85 years old and registered blind!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Some drivers no longer have patience and they drive awful. My hubby had a guy actually bump his car into ours while doing 60MPH, on purpose. Then he drove away, my hubby couldn't move over there was a tractor trailer next to him. Luckily my hubby was not hurt. I get the Apple emails all the time, they use my email that is not even connected to my Apple account. We all need to watch out for the scammers. Wishing you a happy day!

Ginnie Hart said...

To be honest, Marie, it's probably good to share these stories with each other so that we know we're not the only ones! And sometimes it helps to write them down to get clarity about them, especially where the scamming is concerned. The things we can and can/should NOT do when it comes to the internet are really important in this day and age. (sigh). Anyway, there's an arctic blast blowing across part of America right now. I hope you're staying safe and warm.

Debbie said...

we see road rage here infrequently but when we do, we generally just pull off and let the person pass us. some people get frustrated easily...and often you don't even know what you did to frustrate them!

i have been getting, almost daily, emails from apple with charges i never made. then emails about my account being closed. the charges never appear on my credit card and my account has never been closed! i have become very cavalier about these emails because i get them so often. that's probably not a good idea!

our yard is tightened up also and our snow blower ready to go. i always have such mixed emotions, but i am glad we are ready for snow!!!

Mage said...

Oh yes, send us a weather bomb. Please.

Laurel Wood said...

So terribly frightening about the road rage. It's a little sad to see summer come to an end. We have had very cold temps here this week.

Catarina said...

Some people need anger management sessions and not just to learn how to count to ten. Road rage is very dangerous, no doubt.

Retired Knitter said...

I used to be passive aggressive back at road rage - moving slower than the post speed. Now with people being so violent I try to ignore them and keep to exactly the post speed hoping they will just lose interest - and they usually do speeding past me in a dramatic angry manor. What is it with people now a-day?