Most Popular Post

Thursday 7 November 2019

Bonshaw moments

The field at the beginning of the trail was a source of joy for the golden grand-dog. Off the lead, she ran, jumped and hopped around the field which we had never seen her do before. 





While my husband and I walked the winding path through the field, Georgie managed to prance around its length. 




Her joy was palpable. I understand the feeling. 


When we entered the woods at the bottom of the field, the trial was covered in leaves. The sound of the crunching leaves made this walk different from most of our walks among the Bonshaw Hills. 




We had never visited when the leaves were underfoot as they were this day. Snow keeps us off these trails and the snow is later than usual this year. The crunch and shuffling leaf sound as we walked was nature’s rhythm section come to life.


I thought I would miss the leaves from overhead but such was not the case. The sound underfoot was welcome but so was the leaf covered undergrowth, in all its rustic-coloured glory. 





Interspersed with the ferns which are still thriving, the forest floor is enveloped in fallen beauty.


In several places, ground hemlock looked like its needles were diamonds, formed by the sun instead of the earth.





Along the trails, trunks of the trees were more noticeable now without the distraction of the leafed canopy.





Above, where leaves previously resided, now each twig has its chance in the sun. The white of the birch trees is always impressive!





We had a picnic in the park and watched as this unusual insect braved the 10 degree C temperature. 





It too was lucky the snow has stayed away so long this year.


We walked again after lunch and as the sun dropped lower in the sky, the shapes of the tall giants around us took focus. Everything about trees is magnificent.





It was another day when nature gave me a sense of well being. It lifted my spirits and spoke to my soul. I know exactly how Georgie felt in that field!


21 comments:

DJan said...

I was walking in fallen leaves yesterday, too. And the sense of well being that Georgie communicated was felt by me, too. Nature is wonderful. :-)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I absolutely agree with you Marie, trees are glorious in every season but in winter when you can see their 'bones' they are like mother nature's sculptures. Beautiful images captured here, Georgie looks like she's having the time of her life 💙

Anvilcloud said...

That last photo is impressive, the kind of photo that is interesting me more these days.

At Home In New Zealand said...

How lovely being able to crunch through leaves like that. Most of our native trees are evergreen so we only get major leaf drop in some public parks areas.
Georgie certainly looked like Fun was the order of the day :)

Mage said...

And you are doing the same for me here.

Elephant's Child said...

I loved walking with you, and long to be able to keep up with the golden granddog.
I do appreciate the elegance of leafless trees with their branches filigreed like lace across the sky.
Huge thanks.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I could almost hear the crunch of the leaves as you walked along. I love that sound. I have to admit that I sometimes delay in sweeping fallen leaves off my deck, just so I can walk through them.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Most of our Silver Birches are bare now, though other trees are still green. I hope to be enjoying a walk like that tomorrow, though I don't think I'll be galloping around like Georgie however much I may feel like it.

Bill said...

The sights, smells and crunch of the leaves. It's the sounds that make you feel alive. Nice photos, Marie and have a wonderful weekend.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful late fall views. Georgie's a happy dog!

Joanne Noragon said...

The silvery birch trunks are mesmerizing. There is a large nest there, too, probably squirrel. Life goes on.

JudithK said...

Thank you for the great walk! And nothing like a golden to express joy of life.

Tabor said...

So lovely. We also have beautifl woods nearby, and Ihave not been out walkig at all!

Debbie said...

i too know how georgie felt in that field, it was written all over her face!!!

the birch trees are so beautiful, they present with a bit of silver color that is captivating!!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Georgie is a cutie, so sweet. I love the Goldens! Pretty Hemlocks and ferns. Enjoy your weekend!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think that dogs can project sheer joy in a way that humans rarely can. What a wonderful walk you took. Everywhere has a classic autumnal look to it, and the crunching of the leaves underfoot would clinch that impression.

Rick (Ratty) said...

The trees there are beautiful. I wish there were more trees where I live. Here the trees only grow either on the sides of steep hills or right next to the water.

Barbara said...

Autumn has the same effect on me as Georgie. I want to run and jump - ok maybe not to fast or high. I love the sound of leaves underfoot. At the garage apartment I enjoyed walking through the leaves so much I didn't rake them until nearly spring.

The Happy Whisk said...

I love the sound of crunching leaves.
And I love the sound when they blow in the trees, too.
What a wonderful area to walk in. Just lovely.

Rose said...

What a fun day this must have been...both for you and the granddog.

baili said...

your images are absolutely ABSORBING dear Marie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they captivate me within their enchantment :)

sun peeking through trees is uplifting indeed
each one is captured with mastery :)
so glad that you had lovely time under glorious sky with precious partners :)