Most Popular Post

Tuesday 18 August 2020

Lots of lace

The wildflower Queen Anne’s Lace always grabs my attention. I notice it everywhere we go on Prince Edward Island this time of year. The plant has a root which resembles a carrot, hence its other name Wild Carrot but the lacy name is so much prettier. 


The bloom itself is a beauty one would want in a flower bed if it wasn’t so hard to control. Before long, the plant would fill the garden and a lawn. However, I love the sight of these tall beauties in the wild and I always photograph them.


The flowers grow out from the top of a stem in a cluster called an umbrel. 





There may be a single purple flower in the centre top of the umbrel as there is here.





Along the boardwalk by the harbour in Summerside, Queen Anne’s Lace grows among the other wildflowers.





My favourite photos however are those taken with the sea in the background.





During our recent visit to Black Marsh, Queen Anne’s Lace in one of the wildflowers which grows along the trails there.





In one area, it is an excellent companion for Fireweed which grows on the opposite side of the trail.





At the entrance to the trail, there is an area at least 15 meters long where the Queen’s flowers fill the space out to the edge of the cliff. There are hundreds of thousands of blooms. The sign warning of the edge of the cliff is redundant as long as these blooms are present blocking the way to the edge.





Before long, all blooms will be gone and the seed pods will have their own beautiful shape. 





This lace has a beauty all its own.


29 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

They are great wildflowers, not to be confused with Wild Parsnip which look similar but are yellow.

Martha said...

The Queen Ann's Lace is so gorgeous! All the photos are beautiful. I like the ones along the sea too. We don't have many flowers that grow near the beaches here. Thanks for sharing with us. Have a fantastic day :)

Linda said...

Lovely Marie. I want to walk down that path.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've always liked Queen Anne's Lace too -- a classy wildflower! But I didn't know it was also called Wild Carrot.

eileeninmd said...

The Queen Anne's Lace is beautiful, I love all the wildflowers.
Pretty views and photos! Take care, enjoy your day!

DJan said...

These are wonderful shots, and I too enjoy the ones best with the sea behind. That first picture is pretty stunning, too. :-)

Mage said...

I learn so much from you.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

I love them. And when they are spent, they are lovely too!!!!

๐Ÿ‚✨๐ŸŒผ✨๐Ÿ‚✨

Helen said...

So delicate when seen singly against the blue sky. Spectacular clustered together with the sea backdrop.

Catarina said...

I agree. This lace is a beauty. I read that its root, flowers and leaves are edible.: )

Bill said...

We have those here too. Fireweed is called Rosebay Willowherb here.

Ruth Hiebert said...

WOW! These are gorgeous images. i love the Queen Ann's Lace as well.

Elephant's Child said...

Truly beautiful. My mother made bobbin lace and I am sure that she would see exactly where its name originated.
Thank you.

The Furry Gnome said...

That second last picture is amazing. Lots of it here, but rarely that much!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful views!

Rose said...

I have sure enjoyed these..I too, thought he second from the bottom amazing.

Joanne Noragon said...

Who doesn't love QAL, save those who must pull it. It's beautiful stuff.

Red said...

In some areas fall can be a very colorful time. I wish I could identify flowers as well as you do.

Anita said...

Ohh what a beautiful walk๐Ÿ˜Šlove the wildflowers by the sea❤

The Padre said...

So Beautiful , Very Peaceful , And Thanx For Taking Us There

Cheers

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is indeed a beautiful addition to any landscape, but as you say unsuited to a domestic situation because of its ability to spread so rapidly.

Susan Zarzycki said...

As you said, a beauty all its own. Lovely photos. Now I must search and photograph a few!๐Ÿ’–

Tabor said...

Our Queen Anne's Lace ends in early August. Nothing to show now!

Boud said...

I love Queen Anne's lace, too. It grows with chicory on our roadsides, a natural bouquet. And I really enjoyed the picture of the flowers against the ocean. It's like two worlds talking.

Tanza Erlambang said...

the first image looks like bunches of umbrellas....beautiful.

have a great day

Angela said...

Gorgeous wild flowers!! It reminds me of Iowa where the Queen Anne's Lace grows all over the ditches.

Barbara said...

I love Queen Anne Lace too. I just want to know if you laid on the ground to get that first shot of looking up through the flower to the sky. Hahaha.

baili said...

dear Marie these images warmed my heart with strong sense of gratitude. All the beauty and serenity you shared strengthen my love for my Creator!
His light and wisdom is limitless indeed! Each creation speak for his grace and love for his man.

Thank you SOOO much for sharing smile of nature sprinkled in you way when you walk and long for his presence my friend!

Debbie said...

WoW!!! the first and last, stunning!!!