Most Popular Post

Tuesday 25 August 2020

Wood Islands

We visited the Wood Islands Park on the east coast of Prince Edward Island this past week. This day use park is across from the ferry terminal and features a beautiful lighthouse. While my husband and I have taken the ferry on a number of occasions, we have never been to the park.


The ferry had recently left port for Nova Scotia and was visible in the distance.





It was a beautiful day and we walked around the small park as hundreds of Cabbage Whites made the rounds of the late summer flowers all around us. 





This one is a perfect specimen while many others look tattered at this point in the season. 


I saw something bobbing in the water periodically and watched for it to resurface again. It was a long distance off shore. 





This is the best photo I could manage of the seal who was fishing as birds flew over the water to the breakwater nearby. It is the first seal we’ve seen here on Prince Edward Island though they are common along the east coast here.


Cormorants and seagulls have taken up residence along the breakwater. It looks like a few Great Cormorants were hanging out with the Double-crested birds. Great Black-backed Gulls were obvious among the seagulls.





I walked down to the beach and was surprised to see dozens of Bank Swallow nests along the shoreline but not one bird was visible. They may have left for warmer climes already. 





Opposite this park is the fishing port of Wood Islands which lies adjacent to the berth for the ferry. Lobster season finishes at the end of June along this part of the coast so some boats are out of the water already.





Close to the lighthouse lies a Victorian Rose Garden planted there by one of the light keepers. Most of the roses are spent now.





However nearby, some of the biggest, reddest and shiniest rose hips made me wonder about rose hip jam. 





In one jam recipe, it takes a kilogram, 2.2 pounds of rose hips to give 500 ml or 2 cups of jam. You have to cut the hips and discard the seeds. I won’t be making that jam any time soon.


There is a back range light near the main lighthouse in the park. It houses an amateur radio station with an antenna nearby which makes the Canadian flag on top look like a postage stamp.





We had other stops that day and already were two hours from home so we didn’t stay long. However, this park is worth another visit.




 









28 comments:

DJan said...

Such a beautiful place. I think that's a great photo of the seal, and I also enjoyed seeing the cliff swallow holes. I always enjoy visiting your island. :-)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Marie

What a nice outing, a ride on the ferry and the park sounds great to me. I love the seal and all the birds. The lighthouse is pretty, I like that shape and the red and white colors. Take care! Have a good day!

Linda said...

This island must have more loveliness per sq ft than anywhere else. Either that or you have a real eye for catching the beautiful on your camera.

Martha said...

Such beautiful photos and I love the little seal you were able to capture. Thanks for taking us along on the journey with you :)

The Padre said...

What A Beautiful Post - So Wonderful

Big Hugs

Tanza Erlambang said...

aww...you have many beautiful islands and places close by.....wonderful.
By reading your posts, my knowledge about Canada piles up....thank you.

Have a wonderful day

William Kendall said...

The seal is quite a sight to see.

Bill said...

You got a great image of the seal. The lighthouse is beautiful and you captured the essence of the island. Wonderful post!

Elephant's Child said...

That looks like a lovely outing. Thank you for taking us along.
Just the seal would have made my day.
I have heard of rose hip jam, but never tried it. And probably never will.

Liz Hinds said...

How lovely to see a seal! Husband and I were remembering rose hip syrup the other day. I think in school they used to put it on rice pudding. It's very high in vitamin C I think. Not worth that effort though!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a lovely day trip to take! I never took the Wood Islands ferry, but we used the Northumberland Ferry all the time. What a beautiful lighthouse they have there, nice to enjoy on such a pretty day! Many blessings to you :)

Joanne Noragon said...

A beautiful light house.
My girls and I looked into rose hip jam once. We didn't make any, either.

Red said...

Interesting place to visit. It's well kept up.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That was a wonderful visit. it has been quite hot here, so talk of birds heading south sounds strange, yet I know it is that time of year.

Rose said...

I hope you get to go back sometime when the bank swallows are in residence...that is a lot of nests. I love seeing Cormorants...I suppose cause we seldom see any here.

At Home In New Zealand said...

What a lovely place to visit, with lots of different things to see. I think I would be returning to visit again as well :)

Barbara said...

Hahaha. I love that seal.

Wood ship kits said...

That's really informative post. I appreciate your skills, Thanks for sharing.

Anvilcloud said...

There is so much to see and do on your little island.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love seeing the lighthouse, it's a beauty 💜 Super shot of the seal popping it's head above water. I bet the rose garden looks amazing when the roses are in full bloom. Always enjoy walking with you Marie ✨

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is not surprising that the Bank Swallow colony is deserted by now. They will be staging for migration somewhere and some may have already departed. After all September is mere days away.

Susan Zarzycki said...

Great seal photo! So many photo opportunities on PEI.💖

Debbie said...

what a great park, so many beautiful things to see. it is nice to have safe places to go and enjoy all of the wildlife and landscapes. my yard is filled with the cabbage whites right now...they are fluttering all around but land infrequently!!

that's a nice picture of the seal, they are so cute looking!!

and it's nice to see the lighthouse being used today, even as a radio station. it is maintained beautifully!!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Another nice walk with you Marie. I always feel like I am right there. Love the seal !

Peter Clothier said...

Thank you for taking us along on a truly lovely walk.

Helen said...

Wonderful PEI! We should be landing there today! I cannot complain. My family is well and working, where are others are so much in need. We will return, hopefully sooner than later.
Re the seal and your having only seen one. My family live at Cornwall and drive to Hennebury Rd, Rice Point. They regularly see a large group at low tide. Last October when I visited, they all dived off the rocks into the sea. It was such a loud roar of sound.

Mage said...

We think so. I love lighthouses, ferries, and parks. :)

Catarina said...

I enjoyed this day trip very much. A second visit is a must.
:)